Clean Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ofbeautyandrage

Thread author
I've been wondering how to clean install Windows 7 and 8.1 on our two computers, they are both made by Dell and I want what you would call a "clean install" I guess. Where its just the operating system, no pre-installed bloatware from Dell or their partners, like the PCs you'd buy from the Microsoft Store. But I'm not sure how to do it, any help would be appreciated.

One thing that stumps me is the partition, back in the day they used to ship the original operating system disk with your computer but now they just want you to make them on your own and like most computers now, if you do that its going to go back to factory condition with all of the bloatware you don't want. When you want a clean install, do you delete the manufacturer's partition, is it safe to remove Dell Backup and Recovery?

I'm not too savvy when it comes to this, I've made my own recovery media and reset my computer back to factory many times before but it leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure its not hard to do, I just need a little guidance because so many articles contradict each other and Dell won't provide a true solution to what I'm looking for, only what they consider to be a fresh install.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
NOTE:

If you do not know what you are doing, then you are much less likely to experience major problems and disappointment - if you take your time and research before attempting. Clean installing Windows can be fraught with a whole slew of potential problems - it is a vast topic.

Clean install (basic procedure outline):
  1. Extract your Windows license keys - you will need it for W7 ISO download
  2. Back-up all data you wish to retain
  3. Make sure you have the hardware drivers you need since most will be gone after the clean install (you need to know what to do)
  4. Need two USBs
  5. Download and install Windows 7 ISO and Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool onto separate USBs:
Windows 7

Windows 8

6. Install Windows

If you remove the OEM partitions, then you might not be able to upgrade to W10 - even with a valid OEM key - unless you pay for it.

I always keep my OEM partition - as a just-in-case measure - while others remove it. Microsoft doesn't support it - but it works for 99.9 % of us.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
O

ofbeautyandrage

Thread author
How do you extract the license keys?

It just seems so simple on paper, its the matter of doing it that will cause me anxiety.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
How do you extract the license keys?

It just seems so simple on paper, its the matter of doing it that will cause me anxiety.

There are various utilities, but I have always used Belarc Advisor: Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.

WARNING ! Don't publish your M$ license keys online !!

You will see a whole lot listed in the Belarc report. Don't get all bent out of shape if there is anything that you find troubling - like missing updates.

For the moment, just use Belarc Advisor to extract your keys.

Calm down... it will be all right.

When it comes down to it, you have to learn by doing. Mistakes will happen - with the vast majority being correctable.

O

ofbeautyandrage

Thread author
Okay, sounds good. Also is there any risk involved when I posted the models of our computers, processor and RAM on my first post about ESET? I don't think your supposed to give your service tag out, all that was the computer model.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Okay, sounds good. Also is there any risk involved when I posted the models of our computers, processor and RAM on my first post about ESET? I don't think your supposed to give your service tag out, all that was the computer model.

Processor and RAM should be no problem.

You might have problem if you do not reinstall the OEM supplied drivers.

If you want true clean install, then create a brand-new, unused Microsoft account for each system.

If you want to use backed-up\synced settings, then use your current Microsoft account(s).

I also recommend that you remove all installed softs before clean installing Windows.

When you use the Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool, select "Do not download updates" and "Save nothing" as you navigate through the different windows of the tool.

Finally, I recommend not downloading Windows updates automatically when configuring Windows; I choose "Don't set up automatic updates." This is to prevent installation of W10 crap - like GWX. However, this is an entirely different topic as there are different methods to prevent W10 telemetry and update.

Provide link(s) to your original posts please...

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Before you format system i prefer do backup if something goes wrong you can back to older point :)
dont forgot to download drivers (CPU/GPU/Network etc) and some programs like browser on external disk for install it after fresh format.

And at last make update and fresh full backup system if you done job :)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Alrighty then, I was wondering about those supplied drivers.

Question - Optimal Settings for ESET

For drivers, you would download them from the OEM website. You mentioned DELL. You would get them there.

DELL usually installs a diver utility. You might be able to find a list of them and write them down.

There are also freeware utilities that enable you to back-up all of your installed drivers - and then reload them after the clean install. One is Glary Utilities.

However, the problem with that method is that you will reinstall all current drivers - even ones you might not need.

It is best practice to take your time and learn what you need from the OEM website (Dell).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.