Cleanup Utilities: Can They Speed Up Your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I've tried numerous "Care" "TuneUp" softwares over my entire computer life and to be honest I've always found myself and my computer to be better off without them, The only program I've ever stuck to using for years is CCleaner for cleaning out the junk files. Windows built in Disk CleanUp is not as effective as CCleaner I have tested it.

I've only had to reformat once since one of these software's stuffed up my PC's registry so much it was beyond repair (Luckly I always have my data backed on EXHDD so formatting is no problem)
As for defrag I've never had to do it since I store all my data on EXHDD's, I don't allow my internal HDD to get fragmented. Last time I used a defrag software was about 2 years ago on my old PC.

Bottom line from my own self experience: CCleaner is all I need. No suggestions needed from anyone.

As for 'Cleanup Utilities: Can They Speed Up Your PC? '

I say yes, Cleaning out junk files certainly decreases scan time on AV/AM scans.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I skipped these cleaning programs after I moved up to Windows 7, The only tools I'm using now is CCleaner and Auslogics Disk Defrag since they work great.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is what I think and why I don't think they can speed up your PC.

PC 1 : 2007 running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
No third-party software used.

PC 2 : 2008 running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
A few different third-party software used.

Over time the Results = PC 1 runs smoother than PC 2.

I have excluded CCleaner since I have used it to clean Internet Junk for non-IE web browsers only.

davhag64

Jun 7, 2011
win7holic said:
stormgtr said:
Tutorials Guidelines
  • Let's teach, not just show.Post detailed tutorials which contains step by step instructions so it will be easy for anyone to complete him.
  • Please post a finished tutorial. Don't say "I'll finish later" or "I'll add screenshots when I have time."
  • Always use the "Search" feature before writing a tutorial to see if it has been done before.
  • If you are tempted to put the word 'simple' or 'easy' in your thread title, ask yourself why you are writing that tutorial in the first place. Your 'tutorial' is probably not necessary.

ooppss.. sorry storm

What is the best cleanup software. I have CCleaner, Slim Cleaner and System Ninja. plus others.lol.

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
@davhag64

CCleaner is really all you need, it is in my opinion the best free cleaning software.

I see you are using windows 7 also, windows 7 needs very small optimization to run well.

I learned the hard way from other programs that deleted important things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.