ClearCloud to end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Clearcloud DNS will be discontinued in the next few weeks. I emailed for support with regard to an issue.

Here is a (Short) reply from a clearcloud rep:

Yes, you have heard correctly. ClearCloud will be discontinued in the next couple weeks.

Thank you,

Kara K
Kara.Kritzer@gfi.com
727-562-0101 x392

I await an official statement, but it looks like this will be the case.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks Mark. Didn't see that. It's a shame to hear this. I'll be going back to Norton I think.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
This is bad that ClearCloud is going to end. I tried it I thought that it was pretty dam good. Sad to see it go.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Well this is just terrible news to hear, Clear Cloud is such a strong DNS against malicious sites... Guess I'll be going back to my ISP's DNS as Norton's one isn't that good at all imo.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Bad news. I started using this type of services only 3 months ago
and have been very happy that I had chosen CCloud. Never had
an issue, even though I don't live near any of the servers.
I ll probably go back to my ISPs own if Nortons dont behave as good
as CCloud have done so for me.

Bo :sad:

G

Guest28

i am so upset this is going. why stop it now it was doing fine i knew they would pull this eventually and so will norton DNS. They will make this a payed service.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Same story for for CounterSpy Anti-Spyware and Sunbelt Personal Firewall, saying basically the same thing:
...we have found that most customers prefer the more robust web filtering solution available as a feature in our...

G

Guest28

stormgtr said:
Same story for for CounterSpy Anti-Spyware and Sunbelt Personal Firewall, saying basically the same thing:
...we have found that most customers prefer the more robust web filtering solution available as a feature in our...

I find clear clouds statement bull. They just used the users to help improve there service and over the weeks it got better. Watch norton do the same.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Or they simply couldn't figure out how to make money out of it, or they couldn't afford wasting money on this free service.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I have ClearCloud installed, but I have it disabled, just because I don't think it increases speed and I don't really need it. Still, this is bad news, CC was a nice service, much better then Norton's.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why they will discontinue ClearCloud since it was nice and the detection rates are great, if so then need to change other DNS.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Quote from the link about the comment by General Manager

The practical reality is that DNS has its limitations. It will probably get about 70%-80% of malicious sites, as it can only work on the domain level, not the URI/URL level (which is what you need a web filter for). Don't rely on a DNS product as your total protection against malware and phishing sites.

I would agree that, you don't rely on DNS alone thus alongside an AV is needed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can still enjoy ClearCloud DNS up until September 1st 2011, that means 3 more months. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Indeed, ClearCloud will be in my memories for having great detection rate and quick response for FP issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.