Cloudflare DNS + DNSCrypt vs Free VPN

cyberfort

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2017
Hi all

i was using windscribe vpn (60 gb per month promo) but recently i have been noticing that the it is consuming to much of speed for it self and the apps i am using get very low speed or chunk of data
i wanted to move to an alternative so i have moved to cloudflare + dnscrypt
i want to ask how secure it is, will my ISP be able to eavesdrop on the traffic ?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I wouldn't be worried by your ISP. Your main worries should be public WiFi. Based on being secure use a VPN.

Optional you could use Cloud flare DNS alongside a VPN.

~LDogg

LoLs

Level 2
Verified
Dec 16, 2016
i use dnscrypt + cloudflare with SimpleDnsCrypt bitbeans/SimpleDnsCrypt
but this wont work if your isp has dns transparent proxy

about Transparent DNS proxies. Some ISP's are now using a technology called 'Transparent DNS proxy'.Using this technology, they will intercept all DNS lookup requests (TCP/UDP port 53) and transparently proxy the results. This effectively forces you to use their DNS service for all DNSlookups. DNS leak test

so even with dnscrypt,. i still unable to access blocked site by my isp unless i use vpn. And my isp even inject ads into sites that i visit. I wont named the isp here.,. anyway dnscrypt helping lil bit for the dns poisoning/ads inject by my isp. There is no other cheap isp on my city so i keep using this one lol. I hope someday there will be another one.

I have lifetime windscribe but still not happy with it. Having slow connection issues,.. and often pages wont open till i changes location.

Year ago before i use windscribe I was using Private internet access VPN, and it's really good. Now i just waiting for good cheap deal, might gonna back to PIA. And I heard good thing with cyberghost vpn but never try.

If you worried eavesdrop on the traffic by isp, then you should use VPN. Dnscrypt doesn't hide where your connection going to,. Dnscrypt work as resolver, It prevents DNS spoofing.

I never try seed4.me,. but you can get here 1 Year Free seed4 VPN Extended Trial - 1 Year of Free VPN - seed4.me

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
A different DNS server (even if you use DNSCrypt) does not protect against the espionage of your ISP.
With a free VPN, you can also not be sure that no logs are created. Somehow the servers have to be paid and money doesn't grow on trees.

So if privacy on the Internet is very important to you, you have to pay for it. Starting from 20€ you can get a good VPN for one year (I'm talking about CyberGhost CD version).

cyberfort

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 18, 2017
i use dnscrypt + cloudflare with SimpleDnsCrypt bitbeans/SimpleDnsCrypt
but this wont work if your isp has dns transparent proxy

about Transparent DNS proxies. Some ISP's are now using a technology called 'Transparent DNS proxy'.Using this technology, they will intercept all DNS lookup requests (TCP/UDP port 53) and transparently proxy the results. This effectively forces you to use their DNS service for all DNSlookups. DNS leak test

so even with dnscrypt,. i still unable to access blocked site by my isp unless i use vpn. And my isp even inject ads into sites that i visit. I wont named the isp here.,. anyway dnscrypt helping lil bit for the dns poisoning/ads inject by my isp. There is no other cheap isp on my city so i keep using this one lol. I hope someday there will be another one.

I have lifetime windscribe but still not happy with it. Having slow connection issues,.. and often pages wont open till i changes location.

Year ago before i use windscribe I was using Private internet access VPN, and it's really good. Now i just waiting for good cheap deal, might gonna back to PIA. And I heard good thing with cyberghost vpn but never try.

If you worried eavesdrop on the traffic by isp, then you should use VPN. Dnscrypt doesn't hide where your connection going to,. Dnscrypt work as resolver, It prevents DNS spoofing.

I never try seed4.me,. but you can get here 1 Year Free seed4 VPN Extended Trial - 1 Year of Free VPN - seed4.me
I took the DNS leak test original ISP did not show up and blocked sites working, may be they don't use transparent proxy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.