Battle Combo: Kaspersky + VDS + HMPA + (Zemana OR Emsisoft Anti-Malware)

mekelek

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
So I have been using the KIS(Kaspersky Internet Security 2017) + VDS(Voodooshield) + HMPA(Hitman Pro Alert) (all premium) combination ,but recently it came to my attention that HMPA doesn't have Real Time protection, only on-demand via HMP scan.

Since both Zemana and Emsisoft Anti-Malware are lightweight, I would be interested in which would cause the least conflicts with the rest of the combination and which has stronger Real Time protection against Malware.

I don't intend to use Emsisoft's behavior blocker cause I'm aware it would cause conflicts and Kaspersky's is already in place.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
KIS + VDS or KIS + VDS + HMPA or KIS + HMPA are enough
trust me, you don't need Zemana. ZAM showed a pathetic result in malware hub test conducted by me, for almost a month. VDS makes zemana obsolete

My recommendation: KIS + VDS

why not HMPA? it slowed down my laptop sigficantly with persistent CPU + disk usage while doing simple tasks, especially streaming. It also increased the CPU usage of other apps. My CPU fan didn't stop working with HMPA installed. It's as heavy as kaspersky for me
but you can install HMPA if you don't feel it heavy

even KIS alone is enough if you config its properly

mekelek

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
The second option is unthinkable, 2 antivirus running on system? :eek:o_O;)

You can use KIS + EEK (EmiSoft Emergency Kit) which is free, for on demand scans...
I have HMPA for on-demand scanning, as i said in the OP, I'm looking for real time protection.

mekelek

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
KIS + VDS or KIS + VDS + HMPA or KIS + HMPA are enough
trust me, you don't need Zemana. ZAM showed a pathetic result in malware hub test conducted by me, for almost a month. VDS makes zemana obsolete

My recommendation: KIS + VDS

why not HMPA? it slowed down my laptop sigficantly with persistent CPU + disk usage while doing simple tasks, especially streaming. It also increased the CPU usage of other apps. My CPU fan didn't stop working with HMPA installed. It's as heavy as kaspersky for me
but you can install HMPA if you don't feel it heavy

even KIS alone is enough if you config its properly
Running HMPA for 6 months now, I got used to it, not seeing any huge impact.
I have only seen people praising Zemana here, that's why I was considering adding it to the combination. Might need to research it a bit more.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Both the options are far from being adaptable.
Think of cutting down either to a combo of TWO only. Which two?

Dismiss the 2nd option as @harlan4096 says. Use EEK for on-demand instead of EAM.

For the first:
  1. If you combine KIS with either VDS or HMPA, you can keep Zemana away
  2. Remove Zemana from real-time totally. Let KIS do its job. Keep ZAM as on-demand
  3. Use either VDS or HMPA with KIS. You can almost get the blocking/restriction benefit of VDS in KIS by using Application Control effectively. You may keep it for AI, then remove HMPA. Else remove VDS and use HMPA & VirusTotalScanner to partially make for the removal of VDS.

HMPA provides an excellent behavior and anti-exploit protection. KIS also has a nice anti-exploit mechanism, better than many others out there.
I haven't suggested the combinations to exactly provide alternatives. I've focused rather on compatibility and feasibility. Rest is yours :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
well i guess i will keep the current combo and uninstall ZAM. I think my KIS is configured well so I shouldn't have an issue.
Zemana in realtime will probably catch more than many others and guess what? A good proportion of those would be FPs (when using Pandora cloud technology).

You need not uninstall it. Why not keep it for 2nd opinion. Use the free (not trial) version available and you will be able to even perform contextual scans via file explorer.

mekelek

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Zemana in realtime will probably catch more than many others and guess what? A good proportion of those would be FPs (when using Pandora cloud technology).

You need not uninstall it. Why not keep it for 2nd opinion. Use the free (not trial) version available and you will be able to even perform contextual scans via file explorer.
Shouldn't I rather use Emsisoft's Emergency Kit plus HMP for on-demand? I rather not have Zemana eat any resource for no reason.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I run KIS + VDS in real time, KIS is tweaked. ZAM and EAM Emergency kit on demand. I'm extremely happy with that combination it runs great on my system, no slowdowns and I consider a tweaked KIS along with VDS to be an extremely effective combo for real time protection.

mekelek

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I run KIS + VDS in real time, KIS is tweaked. ZAM and EAM Emergency kit on demand. I'm extremely happy with that combination it runs great on my system, no slowdowns and I consider a tweaked KIS along with VDS to be an extremely effective combo for real time protection.
would you mind sending me your tweaks for KIS in PM?

Reactions: ZeroDay
M

MalwareBlockerYT

This is way too overkill.

All you need to stay protected is:

Kaspersky Internet Security on it's own
Or
Emsisoft Anti-Malware on it's own

- If you want extra protection then I'd just add on Zemana

I would ditch Kaspersky & just use Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Zemana as a backup & then HitmanPro & MBAM as Second Opinion scanners.

mekelek

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
This is way too overkill.

All you need to stay protected is:

Kaspersky Internet Security on it's own
Or
Emsisoft Anti-Malware on it's own

- If you want extra protection then I'd just add on Zemana

I would ditch Kaspersky & just use Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Zemana as a backup & then HitmanPro & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as Second Opinion scanners.
Better be safe than sorry. Slipping through 1 security is easier than slipping through multiple.
I'm not dropping KIS for Emsisoft, I trust Kaspersky more than i do Emsisoft even after looking at how it performs. Going to leave Zemana as an on-demand scanner, with realtime protection off, and I also installed Emsisoft Emergency kit just to be sure.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Shouldn't I rather use Emsisoft's Emergency Kit plus HMP for on-demand? I rather not have Zemana eat any resource for no reason.
HMP primarily uses Kaspersky, BD and its own engine. Emsisoft also includes BD engine. You already have Kaspersky.
So you better go with EEK + Zemana for on-demand scans. Zemana sometimes covers a different domain of detection that normal AVs miss, though not critical ones always. Better have it for on-demand.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.