Battle Combo: (Norton, Malwarebytes, Acronis, Diskeeper) or (Webroot + HitmanPro)?

• Thread starter RoadRashWolfenstein
  • Start date
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Hi guys,

So recently my computers where CRIPPLED because of Malwarebytes 3.0, so i sadly have decided to uninstall it. But after taking the time of checking out how many ressources my softs where using, i noticed that they where slowing me down quite a lot, and I'm now wondering if they're worth it :rolleyes:

For example, Acronis True Image 2017 have more than 10 processes :eek:, Diskeeper seems to use more ressources thant it saves and some of my old school softs (System Mechanic, SUPERAntiSpyware, etc...) are kind of useless (i know you guys told me before but i'm a nostalgic :p)

So i've compared with and without, and most of these softs have quite an impact on my machines, especially put together. When i performed a clean install of Windows 10 on my 3 PCs, it felt like a breeze !

It's been a week that i've reformated and with only Webroot and HitmanPro (trial version) there is a HUGE difference. To the point where i'm thinking going "light" on my config. I also don't miss much the extra features, but i'm thinking of adding some softs as long as they are not "real time" (on demand scan, etc...).

The sacrifice in security and tools is way worth it in my opinion, but i wanted to have your opinion. Is Webroot and HitmanPro enough security wise (i surf safe) ? Do you have any suggestion to add on top of that ?

My PCs are quite decent, intel i5, 8gb ram, SSD.

Thanks a lot and Happy New Year ;)

EDIT: other AV that i've also liked so far are Eset Internet Security, Trend Micro Maximum Protection (but kind of heavy) and F-Secure. So far Webroot is my favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
There is no clear definition of "security enough". To me, it's never enough. One have to DYODD.

The way I see it you have 2 good option to go for if you want light:-
1) Install and forget setup
- Some security software is pretty good when installed out-of-the-box. Notable mention include Emsisoft, Webroot, etc.

2) Lockdown mode setup.
- These are those SRP/Anti-exe/etc type of setup. Notable Mention include Appguard, Voodooshield and etc.
- Add in another OD scanner, it's good to go.

That's my view. Cheers!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Have you posted a security config Security Configuration Wizard
If so have you updated it and can you link it here.
If not can you make one and link it here.

Webroot & Hitmanpro are sufficient protection.It would help knowing your complete config.
Many things depend on answereing your question such as....
  • Do you have UAC enabled to at least default setting
  • Do you have Smartscreen enabled.
  • Do you use the common sense factor such as avoiding certain sites,being careful as to what you click on and download.
  • Do you still have a system and data backup solution in place.Acronis True image should not cripple your system.
  • Removing System Mechanic & SAS would be two good ways to lighten the load on your PC!
  • Consider CCleaner as that is more than enough.
  • You can also consider an additional on demand scanner(s)

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
There is no clear definition of "security enough". To me, it's never enough. One have to DYODD.

The way I see it you have 2 good option to go for if you want light:-
1) Install and forget setup
- Some security software is pretty good when installed out-of-the-box. Notable mention include Emsisoft, Webroot, etc.

2) Lockdown mode setup.
- These are those SRP/Anti-exe/etc type of setup. Notable Mention include Appguard, Voodooshield and etc.
- Add in another OD scanner, it's good to go.

That's my view. Cheers!

Thanks a lot for the answer !

I think i'll go with an easy install and forget setup. Because i don't want with wife and kid asking me about a popup every 5 minutes :p

Also because i'm kind of lazy :D

VoodooShield is awesome tough...

Thanks for suggestions.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Have you posted a security config Security Configuration Wizard
If so have you updated it and can you link it here.
If not can you make one and link it here.

Webroot & Hitmanpro are sufficient protection.It would help knowing your complete config.
Many things depend on answereing your question such as....
  • Do you have UAC enabled to at least default setting
  • Do you have Smartscreen enabled.
  • Do you use the common sense factor such as avoiding certain sites,being careful as to what you click on and download.
  • Do you still have a system and data backup solution in place.Acronis True image should not cripple your system.
  • Removing System Mechanic & SAS would be two good ways to lighten the load on your PC!
  • Consider CCleaner as that is more than enough.
  • You can also consider an additional on demand scanner(s)

Sorry about that, here's the link of my actual security configuration.

I didn't uptade it yet as i don't know what my future config will be. Still trying out some softs and different kind of setup. But i'll update it as soon as i've made my choice ;)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer and for your advice.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
So after playing around with my softs for a while, turns out only Malwarebytes and True Images where slowing down my machines. Even though i love Norton, I've switch to Webroot as it is lighter. I've also ditched System Mechanic and made a few changes.

I've updated my Security Configuration Wizard so you can see the changes there.

Thanks to the ones that voted and answered me ;)

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Is that Diskeeper 16?! DK16 consume a lot of RAM and High CPU in my previous test/trial reverted back to DK11 and everything is okay.

If you really want it light probably HMP.A and VS is more suited around 25mb +/- when you add both, but Webroot is also a good choice.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Is that Diskeeper 16?! DK16 consume a lot of RAM and High CPU in my previous test/trial reverted back to DK11 and everything is okay.

If you really want it light probably HMP.A and VS is more suited around 25mb +/- when you add both, but Webroot is also a good choice.

Diskeeper works great and is very light on my system, i really love how it prevents fragmentation in real time instead of the traditional scheduled way. BUT you have to deactivate IntelliMemory. This feature has caused many problems as it attempts to use your computer's RAM as storage for commonly used files.

You should try version 16 again but with this feature turned off. You can deactivate it upon installation, and in my opinion it should be set off by default.

I'm still considering HMP.A as an extra layer of security, really looks light and efficient. Thanks for the advice ;)

Reactions: askmark and AtlBo

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Acronis and other disk imagers are pretty solid but they are not only huge time and money sucks (imo) but there's also the added frustration of basically taking a huge block of a day to just run a backup.

You could go with RollBack Rx. Mind you, you would still be vulnerable to things like hardware damage and corrupted BIOS but let's be honest, how often do you realistically get those?

Normally I would say go for both, but for the sake of efficiency you could go the RollBack route.

As a heads up, Promo2Day is running a giveaway soon (RollBack Rx Professional [10 Lifetime Licenses])

To wrap this up, basically you can find middle grounds and ways to accomplish most of your goals, but you may have to put in the odd extra effort every now and then; but it really depends on how often you think you'll be attacked.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Acronis and other disk imagers are pretty solid but they are not only huge time and money sucks (imo) but there's also the added frustration of basically taking a huge block of a day to just run a backup.

You could go with RollBack Rx. Mind you, you would still be vulnerable to things like hardware damage and corrupted BIOS but let's be honest, how often do you realistically get those?

Normally I would say go for both, but for the sake of efficiency you could go the RollBack route.

As a heads up, Promo2Day is running a giveaway soon (RollBack Rx Professional [10 Lifetime Licenses])

To wrap this up, basically you can find middle grounds and ways to accomplish most of your goals, but you may have to put in the odd extra effort every now and then; but it really depends on how often you think you'll be attacked.

Sorry i just read your message now, i missed it before :rolleyes:

RollBack Rx sure sounds like an interesting choice, thanks for letting me know this product ;)

For it appears it has some issues with SSD (2 out of my 3 computers are on SSD) and the price is kind of steep. But i might give it a try if they fix the SSD compatibility and if they do a sale.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.