Comodo 8 Got Wasted Here... Only One AV/IS Made it Out Alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
@Rod McCarthy

That published test is a bit controversial. I am NOT saying the results ARE NOT correct. I am NOT saying the results ARE correct.

Are the test results a cause for concern - yes, they certainly are - or at least something that should be considered.

Are the test results a source of confusion - oh, most definitely - and I will explain further.

The bottom line is that Comodo's default configuration - Internet Security - is not really all that secure. In fact, this is official Comodo stance since with Internet Security configuration, HIPS is disabled. In CIS, there are many protections that are dependent upon HIPS being enabled. Disable HIPS and user has effectively hobbled CIS and made their system much less secure.

That default Internet Security configuration does not provide the most robust protections is well established. The gentleman's test results confirm this fact. Essentially, it is no surprise.

With HIPS enabled there are some obvious potential problems. After reading the gentleman's test methodology carefully many times, there is only one conclusion that can be reached - when the gentleman enabled HIPS, it is unclear which method he used to activate HIPS.

Test author states: 'Comodo's HIPS module does not install by default - but if you enable it deep down in installer, it goes into "Safe Mode".' Unfortunately, this statement does not indicate precisely how he enabled HIPS - as there are various ways to do so. And that is a big problem - since activating HIPS each way provides different levels of protection.

• Did he install default Internet Security configuration and then enable HIPS by Advanced Settings > Security Settings > Defense+ > HIPS > HIPS Settings > tick Enable HIPS (default for this setting is Safe Mode).

or

• Did he activate Proactive Security configuration - which enables HIPS automatically by default - by switching from default Internet Security to Proactive Security configuration by Advanced Settings > General Settings > Configuration > Right-Click on Proactive Security > Select Activate.
???

The short of it. Protection-wise the 1st method of enabling HIPS protects the system to a lesser extent than by enabling HIPS using the second method. Why is there a difference? Because HIPS rules for each configuration are different; Internet Security configuration built-in HIPS rules are less secure than Proactive Security configuration built-in HIPS rules.

So, if he used the 1st method to enable HIPS, it could be the reason Comodo did not protect against those specific Matousec SSTS64 utilities.

If he used the 2nd method to enable HIPS, it could be an indication of a security hole.

The fact that the gentleman used Matousec SSTS64 utilities is a really important point BECAUSE...

Matousec vigorously tested Comodo Internet Security Premium 7.0.317799.4142 against the very same utilities - along with 50 or so additional ones - and Comodo performed spectacularly. The test results were essentially a repeat of multiple testings of Comodo Internet Security by Matousec over the years. Every time Matousec tested Comodo, it performed spectacularly.

The problem I have with the Matousec test results is figuring out exactly what Comodo Internet Security settings the Matousec testing team used:

Here is a very small part of their published testing:

Methodology and rules

Installation and configuration

The tested products are installed on a virtual machine running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 with Internet Explorer 9 set as the default browser and with UAC turned off. The products are configured to their highest usable security settings and tested with this configuration only. We define the highest usable security settings as follows. The user must be able to do the configuration of the product without need of expert knowledge of the operating system and the computer security. This means that the user, with the skills and knowledge we assume, is able to go through all forms of the graphic user interface of the product and enable or disable or choose among several therein given options, but is not able to think out names of devices, directories, files, registry entries etc. to add to various table of protected objects manually, not even if such a configuration is suggested on the product's support forum or website. The product is configured to interact with the user as much as possible, reducing the number of automatic decisions made by the product as much as possible. To meet the usability requirement it must be possible to use the computer with the configured product for all legitimate tasks as if there was no security product installed. It is also required that the user is not forced to predict behavior of any unknown application and that under normal circumstances (i.e. no malware attack is in the progress) and once the product is set up properly, the product does not bother the user too often.

IF ANYONE CAN TRANSLATE THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH INTO ACTUAL COMODO INTERNET SECURITY SETTINGS - PLEASE CALL ME.

Final Matousec SSTS64 test results can be found here: Results and comments - www.matousec.com

Products tested against the suite with 110 tests

Product Product score Level reached Protection level Recommendation Report Award
Comodo-20x20.gif
Comodo Internet Security Premium 7.0.317799.4142FREE 97 % 11+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
Outpost Security Suite Pro 9.1.4643.690.1951 90 % 11 Excellent GET IT NOW!
star.png

Kaspersky-20x20.gif
Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 15.0.0.463 89 % 11 Very good GET IT NOW!
image-2999810-1061137
star.png

SpyShelter-20x20.gif
SpyShelter Firewall 9.2 89 % 11 Very good GET IT NOW!
star.png

Private-20x20.gif
Privatefirewall 7.0.30.3FREE 88 % 11 Very good N/A
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
Outpost Security Suite Free 7.1.1.3431.520.1248FREE 71 % 11 Good Not recommended
VirusBuster-20x20.gif
VirusBuster Internet Security Suite 4.1 71 % 10 Good Not recommended
Eset-20x20.gif
ESET Smart Security 8.0.304.0 67 % 11 Good Not recommended
Jetico-20x20.gif
Jetico Personal Firewall 2.1.0.13.2471 58 % 10 Poor Not recommended
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 2013 11.0.780.000 34 % 6 Very poor Not recommended
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall 13.1.211.000FREE 34 % 6 Very poor Not recommended
TotalDefense-20x20.gif
Total Defense Internet Security Suite 9.0.0.134 30 % 6 Very poor Not recommended
DrWeb-20x20.gif
Dr.Web Security Space 10.0.0.12011 24 % 4 None Not recommended
Webroot-20x20.gif
Webroot SecureAnywhere IS Complete 8.0.4.104 23 % 4 None Not recommended
BitDefender-20x20.gif
Bitdefender Total Security 2014 17.28.0.1191 19 % 4 None Not recommended
Bullguard-20x20.gif
BullGuard Internet Security 2014 14.0.279.6 16 % 3 None Not recommended
eScan-20x20.gif
eScan Internet Security Suite 14.0.1400.1381 14 % 3 None Not recommended
Avira-20x20.gif
Avira Internet Security 2014 14.0.6.552 9 % 2 None Not recommended
K7-20x20.gif
K7 TotalSecurity 2014 14.1.0.217 9 % 2 None Not recommended
Norton-20x20.gif
Norton Internet Security 2014 21.3.0.12 9 % 2 None Not recommended
avast-20x20.gif
avast! Internet Security 2015.10.0.2208 8 % 2 None Not recommended

IF you read through all the infos carefully you begin to see problems with how the gentleman enabled HIPS - which affects protection.

He says CIS does not protect against BITStest, Kill5, SchedTest3 - which are Matousec SSTS64 utilities.

Matousec says CIS protects against BITStest, Kill5, SchedTest3 - for years running - BUT - we don't know precisely what configuration or settings they used !

Knowing Matousec - which is/was closely affiliated with Standford University during the time of testing - I tend to give more weight to Matousec results. And also because their testing was very consistent over the years.

I just wish I had their damn Comodo settings...

PS - Deploying Matousec SSTS64 suite is NOT trivial; it is not a simple click on an installer - but rather a long drawn-out process that involves creation of a testing container\environment followed by utilities testing. It requires a precise order of multiple steps. Done improperly - which is easy to do - will produce erroneous results. In other words, SSTS64 suite is a convoluted mess for someone who is not well-versed in its use...

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Very Informative... Thanks.

@Rod McCarthy

That published test is a bit controversial. I am NOT saying the results ARE NOT correct. I am NOT saying the results ARE correct.

Are the test results a cause for concern - yes, they certainly are - or at least something that should be considered.

Are the test results a source of confusion - oh, most definitely - and I will explain further.

The bottom line is that Comodo's default configuration - Internet Security - is not really all that secure. In fact, this is official Comodo stance since with Internet Security configuration, HIPS is disabled. In CIS, there are many protections that are dependent upon HIPS being enabled. Disable HIPS and user has effectively hobbled CIS and made their system much less secure.

That default Internet Security configuration does not provide the most robust protections is well established. The gentleman's test results confirm this fact. Essentially, it is no surprise.

With HIPS enabled there are some obvious potential problems. After reading the gentleman's test methodology carefully many times, there is only one conclusion that can be reached - when the gentleman enabled HIPS, it is unclear which method he used to activate HIPS.

Test author states: 'Comodo's HIPS module does not install by default - but if you enable it deep down in installer, it goes into "Safe Mode".' Unfortunately, this statement does not indicate precisely how he enabled HIPS - as there are various ways to do so. And that is a big problem - since activating HIPS each way provides different levels of protection.

• Did he install default Internet Security configuration and then enable HIPS by Advanced Settings > Security Settings > Defense+ > HIPS > HIPS Settings > tick Enable HIPS (default for this setting is Safe Mode).

or

• Did he activate Proactive Security configuration - which enables HIPS automatically by default - by switching from default Internet Security to Proactive Security configuration by Advanced Settings > General Settings > Configuration > Right-Click on Proactive Security > Select Activate.
???

The short of it. Protection-wise the 1st method of enabling HIPS protects the system to a lesser extent than by enabling HIPS using the second method. Why is there a difference? Because HIPS rules for each configuration are different; Internet Security configuration built-in HIPS rules are less secure than Proactive Security configuration built-in HIPS rules.

So, if he used the 1st method to enable HIPS, it could be the reason Comodo did not protect against those specific Matousec SSTS64 utilities.

If he used the 2nd method to enable HIPS, it could be an indication of a security hole.

The fact that the gentleman used Matousec SSTS64 utilities is a really important point BECAUSE...

Matousec vigorously tested Comodo Internet Security Premium 7.0.317799.4142 against the very same utilities - along with 50 or so additional ones - and Comodo performed spectacularly. The test results were essentially a repeat of multiple testings of Comodo Internet Security by Matousec over the years. Every time Matousec tested Comodo, it performed spectacularly.

The problem I have with the Matousec test results is figuring out exactly what Comodo Internet Security settings the Matousec testing team used:

Methodology and rules

The tested products are installed on a virtual machine running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 with Internet Explorer 9 set as the default browser and with UAC turned off. The products are configured to their highest usable security settings and tested with this configuration only. We define the highest usable security settings as follows. The user must be able to do the configuration of the product without need of expert knowledge of the operating system and the computer security. This means that the user, with the skills and knowledge we assume, is able to go through all forms of the graphic user interface of the product and enable or disable or choose among several therein given options, but is not able to think out names of devices, directories, files, registry entries etc. to add to various table of protected objects manually, not even if such a configuration is suggested on the product's support forum or website. The product is configured to interact with the user as much as possible, reducing the number of automatic decisions made by the product as much as possible. To meet the usability requirement it must be possible to use the computer with the configured product for all legitimate tasks as if there was no security product installed. It is also required that the user is not forced to predict behavior of any unknown application and that under normal circumstances (i.e. no malware attack is in the progress) and once the product is set up properly, the product does not bother the user too often.

IF ANYONE CAN TRANSLATE THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH INTO ACTUAL COMODO INTERNET SETTINGS - PLEASE CALL ME.

Final Matousec SSTS64 test results can be found here: Results and comments - www.matousec.com

Product Product score Level reached Protection level Recommendation Report Award
Comodo-20x20.gif
Comodo Internet Security Premium 7.0.317799.4142FREE 97 % 11+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
star.png

Kaspersky-20x20.gif
image-2999810-1061137
star.png

SpyShelter-20x20.gif
star.png

Private-20x20.gif
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
Outpost Security Suite Free 7.1.1.3431.520.1248FREE 71 % 11 Good Not recommended
VirusBuster-20x20.gif
Eset-20x20.gif
Jetico-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall 13.1.211.000FREE 34 % 6 Very poor Not recommended
TotalDefense-20x20.gif
Total Defense Internet Security Suite 9.0.0.134 30 % 6 Very poor Not recommended
DrWeb-20x20.gif
Webroot-20x20.gif
BitDefender-20x20.gif
Bullguard-20x20.gif
eScan-20x20.gif
Avira-20x20.gif
K7-20x20.gif
Norton-20x20.gif
avast-20x20.gif

IF you read through all the infos carefully you begin to see problems with how the gentleman enabled HIPS - which affects protection.

He says CIS does not protect against BITStest, Kill5, SchedTest3 - which are Matousec SSTS64 utilities.

Matousec says CIS protects against BITStest, Kill5, SchedTest3 - for years running - BUT - we don't know precisely what configuration or settings they used !

Knowing Matousec - which is/was closely affiliated with Standford University during the time of testing - I tend to give more weight to Matousec results. And also because their testing was very consistent over the years.

PS - Deploying Matousec SSTS64 suite is NOT trivial; it is not a simple click on an installer - but rather a long drawn-out process that involves creation of a testing container\environment. Done improperly - which is easy to do - will produce erroneous results.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I agree with hjlbx about those tests... They say Kaspersky in CLT only got 210/340, and of course it seems They didn't test in Interactive Mode, and CTL.exe in Trusted group, with those settings Kaspersky lets that testing tool makes almost everything it wants... moving CTL.exe to Low Restriction group in Application Control and in Interactive Mode (just answering "Block Now" or "Block" in every warning) I get 310/340 in my KTS2016MR0c...
Sin_t_tulo.png

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
The products are configured to their highest usable security settings and tested with this configuration only. We define the highest usable security settings as follows.

The user must be able to do the configuration of the product without need of expert knowledge of the operating system and the computer security. This means that the user, with the skills and knowledge we assume, is able to go through all forms of the graphic user interface of the product and enable or disable or choose among several therein given options
proactive mode

but is not able to think out names of devices, directories, files, registry entries etc. to add to various table of protected objects manually, not even if such a configuration is suggested on the product's support forum or website.

no use of protected objects,

The product is configured to interact with the user as much as possible, reducing the number of automatic decisions made by the product as much as possible.

To meet the usability requirement it must be possible to use the computer with the configured product for all legitimate tasks as if there was no security product installed.

AV = ON-Access
HIPS = clean PC or Safe mode,create rules for safe apps,
FW = Safe, create rules for safe apps,
Auto-sandbox & Virsucope: enabled

It is also required that the user is not forced to predict behavior of any unknown application and that under normal circumstances (i.e. no malware attack is in the progress) and once the product is set up properly, the product does not bother the user too often.

do not show popup alerts everywhere is surely ticked to satisfy this requirement.

i think this is what they used.

Reactions: harlan4096

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The author should also understand that it contains Sandbox module that does not literally isolate but prevents any further changes done. + I should really agree that the test isn't real world scenario.

Majority of antivirus focus on real world threats than those prototype possible behaviour as assumption of all testing independent organizations should follow it prior on fair test.

Reactions: Tony Cole
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Default setting = auto-sandbox at "partially limited" = almost same as no protection = bypass = useless test.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
The Matousec tests really do not test sandbox; they test HIPS.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
@Rod McCarthy

or

???

Methodology and rules

IF ANYONE CAN TRANSLATE THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH INTO ACTUAL COMODO INTERNET SECURITY SETTINGS - PLEASE CALL ME.

Comodo-20x20.gif
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
star.png

Kaspersky-20x20.gif
image-2999810-1061137
star.png

SpyShelter-20x20.gif
star.png

Private-20x20.gif
star.png

Outpost-20x20.gif
VirusBuster-20x20.gif
Eset-20x20.gif
Jetico-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
ZoneAlarm-20x20.gif
TotalDefense-20x20.gif
DrWeb-20x20.gif
Webroot-20x20.gif
BitDefender-20x20.gif
Bullguard-20x20.gif
eScan-20x20.gif
Avira-20x20.gif
K7-20x20.gif
Norton-20x20.gif
avast-20x20.gif

PS - Deploying Matousec SSTS64 suite is NOT trivial; it is not a simple click on an installer - but rather a long drawn-out process that involves creation of a testing container\environment followed by utilities testing. It requires a precise order of multiple steps. Done improperly - which is easy to do - will produce erroneous results. In other words, SSTS64 suite is a convoluted mess for someone who is not well-versed in its use...

Well I looked at the link you provided, and I noticed a stark difference in the positive results listed on your link vs PC Mag or any of the other AV test / score sites.

So my uneducated guess is either someone is paying people to give positive results, or someone doesn't run the most extreme testings methods, or someone isn't setting up the AV software correctly.

If I'm wrong, and I may well be, then I must ask why the differences.

I mean on your given link, NO one passed the tests except Comodo, Kaspersky, and Spyshelter, whereas on the other test / score sites everyone gets 70%-100% high scores and an editors recommendation.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Well I looked at the link you provided, and I noticed a stark difference in the positive results listed on your link vs PC Mag or any of the other AV test / score sites.

So my uneducated guess is either someone is paying people to give positive results, or someone doesn't run the most extreme testings methods, or someone isn't setting up the AV software correctly.

If I'm wrong, and I may well be, then I must ask why the differences.

I mean on your given link, NO one passed the tests except Comodo, Kaspersky, and Spyshelter, whereas on the other test / score sites everyone gets 70%-100% high scores and an editors recommendation.

All AV test labs generally require payment to test softs; that's how they earn their income.

The different test results (between that gentleman and Matousec) are most likely due to different configurations and settings. As a side note, Comodo always scored 1st in the Matousec tests over the years... but, as I said, it is difficult to judge things without everyone including complete configuration and settings details.

Matousec testing is a synthetic test; AV lab and PC Mag are "real-world" tests. There is a difference in what is tested - Matousec = crafty utilities, Real World = actual malware samples.

There are a ton of other factors that come into play... the debate would be HUGE !

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Some users presented flaws of these tests directly on the tester's blog and were deleted. That being said .. you get it.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Some users presented flaws of these tests directly on the tester's blog and were deleted. That being said .. you get it.

I read Comodo fanboy complaints about test. Comodo fanboys were wrong.

Any how, too many things are not clear = so user is left not understanding completely and not knowing what to think.

My testings... Comodo is very good physical system protection.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
OK so IF I go default no impact on system, gaming (Compared to your other 2 recommended setting for CIS)? Thanks
comodo default = good
Comodo tweaked = very good
comodo with @hjlbx or my tweaks = almost unbreachable (unless you have access to the machine)
Oh and can I have link to both of you guys settings... Running out door, or is it in this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.