Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Hi All,
This is 2nd CCAV Beta build on top of previous CCAV beta build v492.

Following is new addition:
- This version fully supports Microsoft Edge browser in Sandbox. You can test it using latest Windows 10 Creators update.

Carrying from previous Beta v492:
New:
1. Crash Reporting:
Comodo Cloud Antivirus will detect crash of one of it's applications and offer user to upload crash and other diagnostic data by showing dialog as shown in enclosed snap Crash_Reporting.png

2. Improved Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA) Detection: We have created a back-end infrastructure that is analyzing domains in the wild and able to classify some of domains as PUA domains, which are short lived and mainly generate PUA files. You will see such detection via that cloud driven heuristic as shown in enclosed snap: PUA_Detection.png

3. Controlling Network Activity of Sandboxed Applications: As a first towards providing some form of network control over applications running in Sandbox, we have introduced following two check boxes under Sandbox settings:
- Block incoming connections to Sandboxed applications
- Block outgoing connections from Sandboxed applications

These are disabled by default and best suited for Advanced users at the moment:
Limitations:
Above options are confined to TCP traffic only and thus focusing on controlling data oriented network traffic only.
So other protocols like UDP/ICMP, are still allowed.
In next sprints, based on feedback, we will be aiming:
- To cover all protocols
- Allowing applications based exclusions
- Creating Advanced installation option where user can change these defaults

This is without introducing network Firewall and still letting Advanced users control to some extent network activities of Sandboxed applications.
Aim has been to keep things light and still provide a degree of control.

4- Copy any shortcuts created by Sandboxed applications to my desktop: This check box is present under Sandbox settings. This feature has been enabled by default. Now you have a control over this and can de-select if you don't want that default behavior.

Fixes:
5 - "Ask for Unknown Applications" setting in Sandbox was not working as expected in Windows 10 Creators update, as had been reported in below post:
CCAV Ask for Untrusted Doesn't Properly Sandbox Files - Bug Reports - CCAV

Improvements:
6 - Sandbox alert layout has been changed as per following wishlist item, thanks BlueTesta:
Login

7 - Jump to Folder: When you see file path listing, this option was not available in some of places e.g. "Being Analyzed" section, now you should see it across all places.

BETA - Warning:
Following setup is a BETA setup and it is not recommended to test on production machine and it is intended only for beta testers.
So please try at your own risk.

URL: http://download.comodo.com/ccav/installers/beta/ccav_installer_beta_v495.exe
Size: 8.73 MB (9,163,160 bytes)
MD5: 4e9eaef7f9e397b8316bf560b059383c
SHA1: 75c2d2e92541a2732a66b2cf5e68efbd125736d8

If all goes well, we will be releasing to production coming Tuesday, 9th May, 2017.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Note: Drivers in this build are not signed, so you might want to disable driver signature enforcement using tips as given in link here.

Thanks
-umesh

With best Regards
Mops21

Last edited:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Why do they keep adding new features without fixing the bugs namely Valkyrie?

because bugfixing has no priority , just creating more new features that are prone to more bugs....... time to call the exterminator :D

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and ZeroDay

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The ability to control network access for sandboxed applications is nice but I still see absolutely no reason to use it over CFW and a supplementary AV.
Why do they keep adding new features without fixing the bugs namely Valkyrie?
Are the servers at least stable now? A few years ago I waited for over a week for it to successfully connect to the cloud servers so it could finish its initial rating scan.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The ability to control network access for sandboxed applications is nice but I still see absolutely no reason to use it over CFW and a supplementary AV.

Are the servers at least stable now? A few years ago I waited for over a week for it to successfully connect to the cloud servers so it could finish its initial rating scan.
From what I've read on MT the servers are nowhere near stable. I think they should concentrate their efforts on that before adding features. It's like having engine problems with your car and then buying new wheels instead of fixing the engine.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I wish Comodo would make their mind up. Is it Sandboxing (CCAV) or is it Containment (CFW)? Personally, I prefer Sandboxing.
I expect them to change it to containment in CCAV sooner rather later. They changed it in CIS/CFW because it's apparently easier to understand by layman and seeing as CCAV is their more approachable product for mainstream consumers... (I would have changed it in CCAV first personally.)
From what I've read on MT the servers are nowhere near stable.
Good ol' Comodo releasing beta's as alpha's and stable's as beta's. :rolleyes:

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Crash reporting is a nice idea. Let's hope it gets added in CIS when it's stable enough. :)

Reactions: askmark
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.