NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Comodo Dragon ver 18.2 beta (with Comodo Cloud) is now available
Source: Comodo Forums
bB9ZP.gif

Comodo Dragon Beta 18.2 is now available for beta testing and should not be used on production systems.
The beta can be downloaded from the following link:

http://download.Comodo.com/dragon/beta/DragonSetup.exe

IMPROVED:
- Chromium core 18.0.1025.163.

FEATURES:
- Comodo Cloud extension beta is included.

CHANGES:
- Yellow blocking page is not shown for web sites with low-validation SSL certificates. But "https" part of address is still painted in yellow color.
- Changing of themes is forbidden.

FIXED:
- Fixed HSTS that was not working on web sites with low-validation SSL certificates.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I extracted the Comodo Cloud (BETA) Extension.

You'll need to re-register which is lame, as it didn't accept my current Comodo Account details. :dodgy:

Here's the EULA:
http://www.comodo.com/repository/eula/EULA-COS.pdf

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I was going to download it until I read this, Comodo has no need to know about my computer usage.

2.4. Routine Scans. Comodo will routinely scan your computer in order to determine if any file is new,
modified, or deleted and to determine what actions need to be taken in order to complete a storage or restoration
operations. These operations require Comodo to collect information related to your files, your computer
configuration and specification, and your computer usage. You give Comodo permission to access, collect, and
store this information. In addition, you give Comodo permission to transmit all files designated by you as
requiring storage to a remote data center operated by Comodo or an affiliate or partner of Comodo (“Storage
Servers”). Files will be transmitted in an encrypted format.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thank you for showing this, I'm officially done with Comodo software and ever recommending their software.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Did I miss something? Did Comodo get bought by Google or Facebook. I understand there will always be a trade off with free programs but where do you draw the line? For me it's the collection of my computers personal information!

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I personally don't use cloud storage, but I know from past blowups over cloud EULA's, (such as when Google launched their cloud products) that in order for a third-party to store your data and serve it back to you on-demand, they technically need to 'own' it. Consequently, EULA's regarding these services tend to look incredibly scary.

If you have concerns about it, why not ask Comodo to clarify what this wording actually means?

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
I think its needed for having it uploaded and scanned by their cloud. But I agree EULA's are getting worse..

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
iScream said:
I think its needed for having it uploaded and scanned by their cloud.

Yep. It's tough for a backup program to decide what has changed on your HD and needs to be backed up if there is no baseline to compare it to.

Since it's a cloud backup, it only makes sense that the baseline would be stored in the cloud.

(And yes, that would include computer configuration data, as that is stored on your HD, as well as computer usage information. If you have accessed certain files, it needs to gather data on what has changed...)

I feel that this is what the EULA is stating. But like I said, if anyone has concerns, by all means, ask Comodo about it. They're the ones that can offer any answers.

D

Deleted member 178

i always encrypt my sensitive files, so even if they "read" what the file is, they can't access the info into it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
I personally don't use cloud storage, but I know from past blowups over cloud EULA's, (such as when Google launched their cloud products) that in order for a third-party to store your data and serve it back to you on-demand, they technically need to 'own' it. Consequently, EULA's regarding these services tend to look incredibly scary.

If you have concerns about it, why not ask Comodo to clarify what this wording actually means?

Not only Comodo is getting worse with their EULA privacy policy, many other freeware vendors are doing the same thing. But Comodo is getting much worse with their privacy policy to the point that they can use their software as a legal form of spyware. Asking Comodo wouldn't clarify anything since anything that they say would be irrelevant unless it was clarified within their EULA. For those paranoid users who want complete security, this is something to be concerned about. Have to remember that privacy is a part of security.

I can remember when users of Google Chrome moved to SRWare Iron, Chromium, etc. over Google's unique user ID and privacy issues.

Now after Google removed the unique user ID, some users still don't trust Google Chrome. Compare the EULA of both Google and Comodo and tell me which one looks the best now?

Why should anyone still trust Comodo Dragon?

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

It is the Cloud addon that collect datas , not Dragon. You are not forced to install it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Umbra, is it true that you cannot change the theme in Dragon (18.2)?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Asking Comodo wouldn't clarify anything since anything that they say would be irrelevant unless it was clarified within their EULA.

You're right. It is better not to ask. It's much better to just spread Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Littlebits said:
For those paranoid users who want complete security, this is something to be concerned about. Have to remember that privacy is a part of security.

I suspect such users will not be using cloud storage to begin with.

Littlebits said:

That's the nice thing about the world. We can use whatever we want. If you don't trust something, don't use it. Pretty simple.

Edit: By the way, do you use Dropbox at all? It's a pretty popular service.

Might want to break out the tar and feathers on them as well...
(From their privacy policy)

When you use the Service, we automatically record information from your Device, its software, and your activity using the Services. This may include the Device’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, the web page visited before you came to our website, information you search for on our website, locale preferences, identification numbers associated with your Devices, your mobile carrier, date and time stamps associated with transactions, system configuration information, metadata concerning your Files, and other interactions with the Service.

Holy crap! They're storing device configuration and usage data! :rolleyes:

Some Devices allow applications to access real-time location-based information (for example, GPS). Our mobile apps do not collect such information from your mobile device at any time while you download or use our mobile apps as of the date this policy went into effect, but may do so in the future with your consent to improve our Services. Some photos and videos you place in Dropbox may contain recorded location information. We may use this information to optimize your experience. If you do not wish to share files embedded with your geo-location information with us, please do not upload them. If you don’t want to store location data in your photos or videos, please consult the documentation for your camera to turn off that feature. Also, some of the information we collect from a Device, for example IP address, can sometimes be used to approximate a Device’s location.

Whoa! In the future they may go through your photos and videos and pull geolocation data off of them? :huh:

Wow! I would never recommend this service to anyone! :rolleyes:

Here is someone mad at Google Drive's policy.
Why you should not use Google Drive: Read the EULA and despair

Interestingly, this person has been asleep for a while, as this looks identical to the stock cloud services policy that basically appears to say that Google owns your stuff.

Looks pretty scary, right? In actuality, all of the services are pretty much the same.

Is Google Drive worse for privacy than iCloud, Skydrive, and Dropbox?

Terms of Service for Drive, SkyDrive, Dropbox and Box compared

As I've stated previously, in order for a cloud based storage solution to function, you're going to be giving up privacy. That's how the service works. If you are unhappy with it, then by all means, don't use it. Some of the services go as far as to tell you this themselves. Look at the Dropbox quote above when they say if you aren't comfortable with them possibly scraping personal data from photos/videos, then don't upload them.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:
Asking Comodo wouldn't clarify anything since anything that they say would be irrelevant unless it was clarified within their EULA.

You're right. It is better not to ask. It's much better to just spread Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Littlebits said:
For those paranoid users who want complete security, this is something to be concerned about. Have to remember that privacy is a part of security.

I suspect such users will not be using cloud storage to begin with.

Littlebits said:

That's the nice thing about the world. We can use whatever we want. If you don't trust something, don't use it. Pretty simple.

Edit: By the way, do you use Dropbox at all? It's a pretty popular service.

Might want to break out the tar and feathers on them as well...
(From their privacy policy)

When you use the Service, we automatically record information from your Device, its software, and your activity using the Services. This may include the Device’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, the web page visited before you came to our website, information you search for on our website, locale preferences, identification numbers associated with your Devices, your mobile carrier, date and time stamps associated with transactions, system configuration information, metadata concerning your Files, and other interactions with the Service.

Holy crap! They're storing device configuration and usage data! :rolleyes:

Some Devices allow applications to access real-time location-based information (for example, GPS). Our mobile apps do not collect such information from your mobile device at any time while you download or use our mobile apps as of the date this policy went into effect, but may do so in the future with your consent to improve our Services. Some photos and videos you place in Dropbox may contain recorded location information. We may use this information to optimize your experience. If you do not wish to share files embedded with your geo-location information with us, please do not upload them. If you don’t want to store location data in your photos or videos, please consult the documentation for your camera to turn off that feature. Also, some of the information we collect from a Device, for example IP address, can sometimes be used to approximate a Device’s location.

Whoa! In the future they may go through your photos and videos and pull geolocation data off of them? :huh:

Wow! I would never recommend this service to anyone! :rolleyes:

Here is someone mad at Google Drive's policy.
Why you should not use Google Drive: Read the EULA and despair

Interestingly, this person has been asleep for a while, as this looks identical to the stock cloud services policy that basically appears to say that Google owns your stuff.

Looks pretty scary, right? In actuality, all of the services are pretty much the same.

Is Google Drive worse for privacy than iCloud, Skydrive, and Dropbox?

Terms of Service for Drive, SkyDrive, Dropbox and Box compared

As I've stated previously, in order for a cloud based storage solution to function, you're going to be giving up privacy. That's how the service works. If you are unhappy with it, then by all means, don't use it. Some of the services go as far as to tell you this themselves. Look at the Dropbox quote above when they say if you aren't comfortable with them possibly scraping personal data from photos/videos, then don't upload them.

HeffeD I guess you failed to read my statement:

"Not only Comodo is getting worse with their EULA privacy policy, many other freeware vendors are doing the same thing."

I'm not the one spreading Fear, uncertainty and doubt, you can blame that on Comodo. They have did a excellent job at it for awhile with their riddled EULA and privacy concerns.

I agree that online cloud storage from any service has too many privacy concerns, it is best to backup your files on an external hard drive in your own care.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
HeffeD I guess you failed to read my statement:

I read it, but I haven't seen you making such statements in any of the other threads regarding cloud backup services. I find that somewhat curious. :s

As I said, ask Comodo about it. Impotently flailing away at them on this forum isn't doing anyone any good... :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 178

Anyway, who is the fool to save sensitive datas on free cloud servers... Sensitive datas encrypted in a good USB key locked in a vault in your bank is surely safer.
if just for pictures, videos and other files (except "private" ones :D ) i dont care if someone may read it. they are saved because i dont want lose them, not i want nobody can access to it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Anyway, who is the fool to save sensitive datas on free cloud servers... Sensitive datas encrypted in a good USB key locked in a vault in your bank is surely safer.

Absolutely! I've never understood why the idea of cloud storage appeals to anyone.

D

Deleted member 178

Yep, if i want save pictures online, i have Photobucket, Picasa and co; for videos & music, i have youtube... for files, i use my email box :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.