App Review Comodo Firewall 8 2 0 4508 Setup and Test Part 2

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I'm not being rude, I'm just trying to understand that a lot of users don't know this forum even exists, nor do many think to go online to configure the settings - most would be confused and start to wonder why it blocks things. My friends, they just buy internet security online, activate it, install it, scan and reboot, then just leave it.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tony- You are not being rude at all; your points are thoughtful, well made, and totally valid. But although I also would never use a Comodo product at default settings, I hope that you will agree that a setting adjustment (that takes less than 30 seconds to do) will make CF second to none in protecting ones computer.

I also have to agree that most will just pick out a security product (although many don't even go that far), install it, and hope for the best. This really saddens me as eventually this ignorance will end in tears. But although it really doesn't make much impact overall, I feel that Geeks like Us have a Sacred duty to inform our computer novice Sisters and Brothers that a better way exists, either through personal contact, Youtube Videos, or blogs on Boards like MT. We can do no more (and should do no less).

My issue is with the plethora of Comodo haters that either through lack of familiarity or mischievousness will denigrate the product without cause. Perpetuating ignorance is never a good thing.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Yes- You won't have the setting to change. I suggest (assuming that you have Java installed) downloading and saving Superbcalc to anywhere other than the Downloads directory and running it. Comodo should Sandbox it; as long as it does you are good to go. It doesn't need to be installed, and is a good way to familiarize yourself with handling sandboxed aps.

Download it from here:

http://www.mariottini.net/roberto/superbcalc/

Reactions: davidgzz and Moose

davidgzz

Level 1
Verified
Oct 12, 2013
Yes- You won't have the setting to change. I suggest (assuming that you have Java installed) downloading and saving Superbcalc to anywhere other than the Downloads directory and running it. Comodo should Sandbox it; as long as it does you are good to go. It doesn't need to be installed, and is a good way to familiarize yourself with handling sandboxed aps.

Download it from here:

http://www.mariottini.net/roberto/superbcalc/

Yes, it worked. Thanks!

Reactions: cruelsister

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
@cruelsister :
Do you have the Comodo Internet Security active or the Comodo Firewall Security active ??
On the advanced Firewall settings, nothing more to check ? About the rules ?

Reactions: Moose

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Great informative video that I have bookmarked for setting Comodo Firewall up on friends/family computers.

Password protecting it from children and i.t. professionals made me smile:D.

Don`t see what all the fuss is about i.e. the pc security channel stating that Comodo needs tweeked surely that`s the point of Sis`s video in the first place ?

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: Moose
H

hjlbx

I'm not being rude, I'm just trying to understand that a lot of users don't know this forum even exists, nor do many think to go online to configure the settings - most would be confused and start to wonder why it blocks things. My friends, they just buy internet security online, activate it, install it, scan and reboot, then just leave it.

I could not agree with you more @Tony Cole...

Surprised I missed this post.

H

hjlbx

@cruelsister :
Do you have the Comodo Internet Security active or the Comodo Firewall Security active ??
On the advanced Firewall settings, nothing more to check ? About the rules ?

• @cruelsister uses Comodo Firewall.
  • On the Advanced Settings > Firewall > Do Not Show Popups > Block; the firewall will block Unrecognized file outbound network access.

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Last edited:
H

hjlbx

I got Comodo Internet Security configuration with the cruelsister settings. I will change it to the Firewall configuration and the cruelsister's settings. Thank you hjlbx.

It doesn't matter which configuration you use. CIS has AV. CFW does not.

You can use @cruelsister's settings with Internet Security, Proactive Security or Firewall configs. Her settings protect the system the same no matter which configuration you adopt.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
My Questions for you guys
@hjlbx @yigido, @yesnoo, @Moose, @Tony Cole, @Andytay70, @Online_Sword, @Chromatinfish 123, @jamescv7, @Umbra, @exterminator20, @cruelsister

I want to Lockdown my system using Comodo Firewall but according to hjlbx's reply from below...
1. Are you still guys recommend to me to install CFW using cruelsister's Configuration?
OR
2. Install SpyShelter Firewall according to Rasheed187's reply from below...
OR
3. Install Emsisoft Internet Security according to Christian's reply from below...

hjlbx said:
Unfortunately, CIS HIPS can cause novice to apply incorrect rule(s) and therefore permits infection on system. This shortcoming is one of HIPS alert design and unclear CIS HIPS functionality; the net result is poorly implemented protection because of user misunderstanding and the subsequent mistakes they make via the HIPS alerts.

Rasheed187 said:
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of HIPS, and Comodo is quite comprehensive, but I don't want to make things too complex, that's why I prefer SpyShelter. Overall, Comodo is perhaps a bit more advanced, but SS also gets the job done.

Christian from Emsisoft said:
Emsisoft Internet Security uses an enhanced version of Online Armor's firewall core (added IPv6 support, etc). It does not include the HIPS of Online Armor though. The Behavior Blocker is based on the same technology but gives far less alerts and represents a technological evolution therefore.
The technology behind HIPS is what eventually evolved into behavior blocking, an essential component of modern anti-malware. Thanks to what behavior blocking borrows from HIPS, false alarms from antivirus software using the technology are now extremely rare. Behavior blocking isn’t HIPS though, and neither term is freely interchangeable with firewall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andytay70

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
@hjlbx Thank you Man. But I mentioned CFW not CIS. Does CFW have the same "disappearing rules" bug?
BTW, Do you recommend going to Emsisoft Internet Security and it's firewall instead of CFW and SS Firewall?

Last edited:
Reactions: Der.Reisende

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
My Questions for you guys
@hjlbx @yigido, @yesnoo, @Moose, @Tony Cole, @Andytay70, @Online_Sword, @Chromatinfish 123, @jamescv7, @Umbra, @exterminator20, @cruelsister

I want to Lockdown my system using Comodo Firewall but according to hjlbx's reply from below...
1. Are you still guys recommend to me to install CFW using cruelsister's Configuration?
OR
2. Install SpyShelter Firewall according to Rasheed187's reply from below...
OR
3. Install Emsisoft Internet Security according to Christian's reply from below...
I just sat it to autosandbox and until today it never let me down. Sure Occasionally it became sensitive to some stuff but a quick check on virustotal shows it is fine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.