Comodo FW and Comodo AV OR Comodo FW and Free Version of PC Matic Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
So I gave Comodo FW with Comodo Cloud AV a spin. I liked it, made a image and decided to try something different.

I did a little searching and found out that PC matic has a FREE version called "PC Matic Home Security".

I installed it, the description seemed to suggest that the only difference in the free and paid, was you didn't get tech support, and you didn't get the tuneup software (Big Whoop), or any bundled crud.

This basically looks like Comodo Cloud, with signature detection using Vipre or Bitdefender Engine.

You can set it to scan quick, or full. You can select manual, or scheduled scans.

The memory use during scan was 30-40MB, the disk use was minimal. The interface is clean, and it produces no popups. It also scans for outdated software. It uses a black and white list.

Being Comodo seems to have so many issues and unfixed problems I might just go with this.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
I settled on using Comodo FW and Pc Matic Home... Tightened up the FW settings to proactive.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
From the website:

Comprehensive Free Security for your PC!

FREE Download & FREE Protection

Complete and comprehensive security
SuperShield White List Real Time Protection
Cloud Scheduler
Up to 3 home computers
Free for non-commercial use

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I've seen worse AV's outhere I think, clearly I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone but clearly somebody should test it.

If you want to grab the popcorn about this you can check this past "fight?" between MBAM and PC MATIC, just go to comments:

I know AV test organizations are not the last word just sharing:

From VB100
Main version: 2.0.0.4
Update versions: 2.0.0.4, 2.0.0.4, 2.0.0.5
Last 6 tests: 0 passed, 3 failed, 3 no entry
Last 12 tests: 1 passed, 5 failed, 6 no entry
ItW on demand: N/T
ItW on access: 100.00%
False positives: 13,753
Stability: Buggy
The PC Matic approach is a little different from that of most of our participants, with whitelisting playing a major role in the product's detections, leading to some interesting results over the last few years. There were some fairly severe stability issues on Windows 10, with a number of blue screens cropping up through the tests and giving the team some extra work to do, but the developers proved fast to respond to issues as we reported them. These wobbles aside, it finally seems that our tests have been able to fully exercise the product's detection capabilities, with just about everything in our sets blocked by the product. Sadly, that also meant a fairly large proportion of our clean sets was blocked, something which may be due to the way the sets are stored (lacking entries in the local catalogue of installed packages, which is checked as part of the analysis process by some products). There were also some issues with the WildList detection, including some highly undependable results when using the on-demand scanner component – all other results were obtained on access, but the on-demand results proved too wildly unreliable to include in the report. So there is no VB100 award for PC Pitstop, but some truly epic scores in our RAP/Response tests.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.