Nagisa

Level 4
Verified
A very light, yet one of the most comprehensive combo i have ever seen. Is there any better choice that is useful for computer illiterates and for whom have a low end PC?

Note: Only Firewall and File Rating is enabled on Comodo. No HIPS, no VirusCope and no Auto-Sandbox(except quarantine rules) as they could create problems.

show-Zi

Level 26
Verified
I don't think it's bad. It is assumed that you will configure the rating of comodo files yourself. If not, I feel that I can replace the firewall with something else.

Salvaging on another post is a good way to do it, as sometimes the thread is pushed down by another post, making it less noticeable.(y)

Nagisa

Level 4
Verified
It is assumed that you will configure the rating of comodo files yourself.
I couldn't quite understand this part. Comodo File Lookup Server is enabled, so the cloud whitelist is enough in most cases. An input is only needed when a user runs unknown program that requires internet connection. So, zero-days and unknown viruses will run, but they can't send user data to the malicious server.

Wouldn`t it be a stronger combo with either the hips or auto sandbox enabled ?
That would increase the complexity a lot. Especially HIPS, many inexperienced user complains about the HIPS popups. And auto-sandbox will be unpractical for those who don't know how to copy-paste files from sandbox into the host. Also it will degrade performance.

If this combo looks like strong enough to you, I will be more sure when recommending it to users. KSC Free comes first, but some people complain about its effect on system performance. I wouldn't use KSC Free on my pc as well.

show-Zi

Level 26
Verified
I couldn't quite understand this part. Comodo File Lookup Server is enabled, so the cloud whitelist is enough in most cases. An input is only needed when a user runs unknown program that requires internet connection. So, zero-days and unknown viruses will run, but they can't send user data to the malicious server.

Sorry. I misunderstood the list of trusted vendors.🙏

Nagisa

Level 4
Verified
Just having File Rating active (and FW) without other modalities will only kinda-sorta protect. It will stop some things, but otherwise is child's play to bypass.

In short, not a good idea at all.
So, cfw + panda still a bad idea? I wouldn’t use CFW alone in those settings either. What do you think could be better choice instead? I wish foticlient to be less buggy, i would have chose that.

Why don't you wanna use HIPS or auto sandbox?
I explained above already.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 20
Verified
So, cfw + panda still a bad idea? I wouldn’t use CFW alone in those settings either. What do you think could be better choice instead? I wish foticlient to be less buggy, i would have chose that.

I explained above already.
If you're using it as default deny in a proactive mode without useless vendors from the vendor list then it's very strong but makes Panda dome useless Wich in anyway isn't a great av .

But what is your aim a low false positives security posture(not very good at stopping zero days) or a hardened default deny one(very strong against zero days)
?

If you want a low false positives Config I would recommend to try Kaspersky Wich had lower false positives then defender and has a nice rollback feature that mostly works .

As for default deny use Comodo or any SRP /applocker based security in a default deny config.

Cortex

Level 23
Verified
I used Dome for a while but found it less than wonderful - I also found it was Dome that was breaking Shadow Defender - I's all personal choice but Panda is near the bottom of my AV list - I also found again personally Comodo the most problematic Firewall I've used, though I never used this combination.

Nagisa

Level 4
Verified
My english, is it really that bad? I think I already explained why I configured the CFW that way. I aimed for best protection with minimal performance impact and user input requirement. Enabling HIPS and auto-sandbox defeats the point of this combo.

I used Dome for a while but found it less than wonderful - I also found it was Dome that was breaking Shadow Defender - I's all personal choice but Panda is near the bottom of my AV list - I also found again personally Comodo the most problematic Firewall I've used, though I never used this combination.
Thanks. What do you think would be a better choice for combining with CFW?

JoyousBudweiser

Level 9
Verified
A very light, yet one of the most comprehensive combo i have ever seen. Is there any better choice that is useful for computer illiterates and for whom have a low end PC?
Note: Only Firewall and File Rating is enabled on Comodo. No HIPS, no VirusCope and no Auto-Sandbox(except quarantine rules) as they could create problems.
How bad is your "low end computer"? I have given a seeedstudio ODYSSEY - X86J4105800( Based on Intel Celeron J4105 ) to my daughter to tinker with and it runs CFW without any lags.

show-Zi

Level 26
Verified
From time to time, I hear about the topic of deceleration of comodo, but in the case of software that controls communication, I think that it may also be affected by the speed of the line. From the impressions I used, I remember that there were several phenomena that caused communication delays, but there was no slowdown in information processing.

My english, is it really that bad? I think I already explained why I configured the CFW that way. I aimed for best protection with minimal performance impact and user input requirement. Enabling HIPS and auto-sandbox defeats the point of this combo.

Thanks. What do you think would be a better choice for combining with CFW?
Many MT members are tolerant of unnatural English. Feel free to continue posting.(y)
I think that the translation function of the browser may distort the meaning of the text.:geek: