Not open for further replies.

Senkei

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Hello Everyone !
smiley.gif

We are happy to announce that COMODO Internet Security/Antivirus/Firewall 8.4.0.5165 new Hotfix version is released !

The main purpose of this hotfix release is to provide the compatibility on Windows 10 1607 and fix any related problem such as kernel drivers signature issue.

We are planning to release CIS10 by Q4, which we believe that will surprise you with its new user interface, increased usability and improved new features. Please stay tuned and wait for the release and continue to send us your feedbacks for wishes and bug reports on beta built.

Existing CIS 6.x, CIS 7x and CIS 8.x users will receive an automatic update offer CIS 8.4 Release update !

What's new in 8.4.0. 5165 ?

Improved:

• Windows 10 1607 support

Fixed:

• UI and service crashes
• Windows 10 1607 kernel drivers signature issue

Download Location

Comodo Internet Security

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/4096/standalone/cispremium_installer.exe

Size: 170M ( 177891296 )
MD5: 97de21373da39f552f38262ba7df8086
SHA1: 055c8f3caa995e5da715eaaf81c99b02cf7ea9df

Comodo Antivirus

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/4096/standalone/cav_installer.exe

Size: 170M ( 177891288 )
MD5: d13c35ee64c57bea64a5612c6be97583
SHA1: b7c575e436331fb2d0e964408bd754fc1b203d32

Comodo Firewall

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/4096/standalone/cmd_fw_installer.exe

Size: 170M ( 177891288 )
MD5: ff13aa1da056e13d8f98ee69ab333c52
SHA1: b0b00a23742052bb3d6a9e481d8ec43191dc8601

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks For the share! I am very....very anxcious to see how cis 10 Will be...performance Wise and if comodo Will succeed in fixing the excisting bugs and Will enhance their av module ( I know it is not the main ingrediënt in this suite ) but I am curious....

H

hjlbx

i guess you will never see it ^^

BuketB stated a hotfix version that corrected the "disappearing rules" bug was to be released.

Apparently they couldn't fix it before this hotfix version was released.

I know COMODO is fully aware of the problem. It only took me and others a few years to get it onto their "To Do" list...

IF COMODO manages to fix the bug, then I will give it another try - but until then I don't see any point to it all.

IF the fix is a good one then I will probably install CIS permanently on one system - more than likely W7.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
BuketB stated a hotfix version that corrected the "disappearing rules" bug was to be released.

Apparently they couldn't fix it before this hotfix version was released.

I know COMODO is fully aware of the problem. It only took me and others a few years to get it onto their "To Do" list...

IF COMODO manages to fix the bug, then I will give it another try - but until then I don't see any point to it all.

IF the fix is a good one then I will probably install CIS permanently on one system - more than likely W7.
I wont hold my breath.

Reactions: askmark

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
There are comparably effective solutions with much, much less hassle, but I have to admit, I do like COMODO. So I hope they manage to fix it.
I like comodo too but its a shame when you get it running smoothly and it loses all its rules! As you said if the fix is a good one i think i'll install it as well.

Reactions: askmark and vivid

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
There are comparably effective solutions with much, much less hassle, but I have to admit, I do like COMODO. So I hope they manage to fix it.

Can you name couple of soulutions, please?

H

hjlbx

Can you name couple of soulutions, please?

Combos...
  • Sandboxie
  • ReHIPS
  • AppGuard
  • Simple Software Restriction Policy
  • NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro
  • NoVirus Thanks Smart Object Blocker
  • Excubits Bouncer, Pumpernickel and MemProtect
  • Rollback RX Professional
  • Rollback RX Home
  • Drive Vaccine RX
  • Reboot Restore RX
  • Shadow Defender
If you want a single soft that provides the best of execution control and isolation, then it would be ReHIPS. However, it alters the desktop experience by use of isolated environments (restricted access, non-admin user profiles). Plus, you can control an isolated environment's network access - allow or deny. Currently, there is no ability to control network access on a per program basis. If you want that capability then you need Sandboxie (see below).

If you want a combo that provides for the traditional desktop experience, then AppGuard and Sandboxie. AppGuard has the advantage of offering memory protections - which important since you will be running in the real user profile. Both AppGuard and Sandboxie offer execution control, file system and registry restricted access. Sandboxie also offers restricted network access on a per process basis.

The issue with Sandboxie is that Windows and\or browser updates will cause it to misbehave. However, Invincea usually does fix it.

I use AppGuard + Rollback RX Pro. The issue with Rollback RX is that you have to uninstall it when installing a cumulative (MBR modifying Windows update) update. Also, on SSD you have to uninstall Rollback RX about every 3 months or so to run the SSD TRIM command.

Last edited by a moderator:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I was thinking of solutions for firewall (like PrivateFirewall).
On my pc is Shadow Defender (enter on boot), Sandboxie, some SRP restriction...

I have put RX on my pc but Umbra told my that is not good to have it on ssd...then uninstalled.
You can confirm that is ok with sss?

H

hjlbx

I was thinking of solutions for firewall (like PrivateFirewall).
On my pc is Shadow Defender (enter on boot), Sandboxie, some SRP restriction...

I have put RX on my pc but Umbra told my that is not good to have it on ssd...then uninstalled.
You can confirm that is ok with sss?

RX is OK on SSD. Just uninstall it every once in a while and run TRIM command.

The above assumes that you have consumed less than 25 % of the SSD size. If it is 50 %, 75 % or more than you have to unintsall RX products and run TRIM command frequently.

If you have any questions you can ask @TheRollbackFrog - he's an expert in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I want to use Comodo and i don't think i 've been affected by the disappearing rules (at least, i 've never lost ALL rules, but there have been times that i have the impression that i had already allowed an application), but, i always end up uninstalling, because the slow GUI gets on my nerves and there is an increased feeling that the systems becomes sluggish over time. I also found a post by a Comodo moderator, who said that the more rules you have in HIPS and firewall, the more Comodo slows down the system. Which explains my feeling.

It's a shame really, but if you compare the v5.10 GUI with the v8, the 5.10 is much more responsive and it's also easier to navigate to windows where you can see all rules. On the other hand, my Win7 has probably some issues with 5.10 at this point.

So, now i am trying an "alternative" solution of Tinywall + Voodooshield (always on) + Secure Folders and i must say, my system is very snappy. I also uninstalled Process Lasso, since, oddly, the latest version was also creating some lack of responsiveness. Also uninstalled MSE for the same reason. I have FX8350 + 16GB RAM + SSD SATA III, so it's quite annoying seeing how security applications manage to degrade the system desktop experience.

I think this combination is the lightest i 've seen in a long time. Ideally, i 'd want to find a free, simple and light antivirus without clouds, registry cleaners, bells and whistles that it's also ultralight, but it seems that all free AVs are loaded with kitchen sinks, bloat etc. Also AV comparatives and AVtest.org don't quite agree on the classification of lighter antivirus (avast is on bottom in AVtest for example).

So i guess i will stay without AV...I do have MBAM free on demand... It's amazing how antivirus makers have made their products so unappealing. Sometimes i look at the "pro vs free" and i always say "oh dear, i prefer the free because it has less bloat". I don't want HTTP scanners and all that thing that only slows down browsing and i will be on metered wireless connection for at least a year, so i don't need cloud eating up my daily GB of data.

I also took a look at Zone alarm firewall... My God, are these over at Checkpoint blind? They 've destroyed the once most famous firewall. The GUI is horrible. They don't even give offline installers anymore. You can't even take a look at the firewall rules at a glance, you have to scroll horizontally the tiny window. What a disgrace... Cause my main problem with Tinywall is that you don't get alerts for outgoing.

I fondly remember the old days with the ultralight Kerio 2 or ZAFree, Sygate... Now it's either Tinywall or Comodo... I also have Sphinx Firewall control (an older version), but don't like the GUI.

If Comodo had stuck with the old GUI, left out the various viruscopes, kiosks, AV and concentrated on bug and performance fixes, the situation now would have been much better.

Y

yigido

@Fuzzfas I do not know that you tried CIS 10 Beta?

The new arcadia theme will bring the CIS 5.1x like UI to you with main actions menu. Also it is very responsive UI amon the others.

Every system is different than the others, so you can give it try to check your old problems.
If you have any bad things, report them because it is still in beta. It will be solved in the stable release for you.
e03b72288f1049e9858609c04972a9b1.png

609b77f1b07e4525b10955564f3bc782.png

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
No, i haven't used the beta. Despite the fact that i hate the flat Win10-style GUI, especially in the 2nd one, i can see the resemblance to 5.10. It's good to see that and boy, am i glad! But i will wait until the stable release. I don't have time for beta-testing really. It's not like i have some huge slow down, but there is a slow down when i rapidly navigate through folders. It's evident every time and gets worse over time. Also, the GUI of v8, is noticeably laggy. It doesn't respond as fast as other programs do (or even Comodo 5.10).

At least now i know that with v10, i may see an improvement. Thanks a lot. The GUI looks x100 better than the current one, as far as organization of things goes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I've waited a while to confirm that it was so, but this build has fixed the issue of Untrusted not being maintained under Windows 10. Having it set thus makes up for the secret issue that the Firewall, HIPS, and the other sandbox settings all suffer from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.