Not open for further replies.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Comodo is a little bugged, Qihoo IS is not really developed / supported anymore, Avast free ... I don't know I didn't use it in the last 100 years (since was version 4, I guess).

Any thoughts ?

Reactions: marg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
avast! Free Antivirus is at an disadvantage feature-wise compared to the full security suites, but it does have very good detection and some zero-day prevention methods for all types of users. PUP-detection is also available, but disabled by default. However, I strongly recommend all avast! users to perform a custom install and tweak the AV settings to prevent unwanted software from being installed (see this thread). Also be vigilant after installing avast! as it also offers either the Google Toolbar (for IE and FF) or Chrome (upon reboot). These could be potentially unwanted as they're not part of avast! software - just bundled software.

Comodo has become bloated and lost it's primary focus over the years. They bundle their out-dated browser software with whitelisted Ads extension, their non-free PC Tech Support, GeekBuddy which also installs to your PC. And last I remember, Silverlight was required for the full Virtual Kiosk experience (fancy iPad-like UI) .I've seen posts here stating that Comodo Antivirus is mediocre, and it's white-list aka Trusted Vendors List (TVL) is either incomplete or contains questionable vendors. Comodo contains a Behaviour Blocker based on TVL, Definitions and Cloud (correct?), and may auto-sandbox anything suspicious (requires user interaction) or not known by Comodo, this can cause false positives for legitimate software.

Qihoo 360 Internet Security has proven it's good detection rates, however, I remain sceptical about actually using their software due to it being very new over here (UK/US). I've read their Internet Security has been discontinued in favour for their Total Security which still contains some bugs. I haven't tested this software for very long, but it appears to offer effective AV protection in a simple package.

Comparing avast! Free and avast! Internet Security. I would recommend anyone avast! Free Antivirus. While their Suite does contain more features, I guarantee no average user will use those features (ie. Manual Sandbox) and will be at a loss. avast! Free with other third-party software may be more effective, rather than paying and still getting infected.

For any PC user running Windows 7 SP1 with Windows Update and UAC enabled on default:
- Between Comodo Internet Security, Qihoo 360 Internet Security and Avast! Internet Security = Qihoo 360 Internet Security
- Between Comodo Internet Security, Qihoo 360 Internet Security and Avast! Free Antivirus = Avast! Free Antivrius + Windows Firewall

For any PC user running Windows 8.x with Windows Updates, SmartScreen and UAC enabled on default:
- Between Comodo Internet Security, Qihoo 360 Internet Security and Avast! = Qihoo 360 Internet Security or Avast! Free Antivirus

However, I do suggest trying (there's no harm in that) Windows Defender in Windows 8.x and Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 SP1.

Additional software I can recommend, if you're likely to stumble across Adware or Malware.
- Unchecky.com
- Sandboxie.com

Bottom line: There is no best, detection rates from AV Testing sites or Youtube Reviews are negligible due to different users experiences with computers and Internet threats. Comments stating "Antivirus X is rubbish, crap or sucks" that is their personal opinion based on a test conducted by themselves or another party to intentionally infect a Windows PC should not considered reliable.

Read more: http://malwaretips.com/threads/protecting-your-pc-security-tips-advice.30452/ (Thread update in progress).

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Ok. I tried Comodo .. This is why I hated it

1. Submit files for Analysis -- It never worked for me. Everytime it failed to upload.
2. Default Denial -- Every unknown software is caught by default as "risky" and I used to allow it. So my point is when I will come accross actual malware, then also I will allow it. So where is the protection?
3. Configuration - Configuring it is rough.
4. Advertisement: I used to get some advertisement lower right corner. I am ok with it. But whenever I got this advertisement I PC was not responsive for 15-20 sec. Which I am not ok with.
5. Start Up: It affected my startup. After restrt icons were coming very slowing. But after 2 min it was ok.
6. Sandbox: It automatically sanboxed few of my database connectivity software and I was unable to connect to database or save my sql files. and first two days I though my VPN problem and connected with VPN support for the same.
7. Notification for everything
8. Greek Buddy crap
9. Comodo Dragon - I thought it will block advertisement but nope. It replaced all ads with their own ads :S

Now many with argue with me that Comodo catches everything. I will also agree with them. It catches everything ( legit or malware does not matter). So if it blocks every unknown software and you are happy with it then why not just stop installing new softwares?

I will suggest go for Qihoo or Avast. Both are good.

Sorry for my long reply :oops: , I was really annoyed with Comodo. :mad:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Thank you for all the amazing answer (Huracan), I am already using Unchecky, I will give Avast a try with Hardened Mode :)

Internet Security has been discontinued, that is why I made this topic and the Total security is giving me a hard time, Eclipse is not working and my PC is really slow (I have 4GB ...).

About Comodo ... well I used since it was only the firewall the amazing blue UI and the cool tray animation, he he. Nowadays, it is going down ... I reported all the issues and still no fix, this was 2 updates ago.

I really love Panda Cloud Free but it doesn't like to remove infected samples.

Thank you again for all the votes, answers.:D

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
@Huracan First of all great explanation. Really I never had problem with Qihoo Total Security, But i do not trust Qihoo Cleanup & All those extra stuff.

Same here with Qihoo IS that's why I'm not uninstalling it. But when it comes to cleaning a customer's PC, I'll choose Avast! because of it's Boot Scan

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
Qihoo or Avast, both are excellent products, best way to know which is the better testing 2. Qihoo by having more detection engines will have a slightly better entretando Avast antivirus is a more solid in the market with more options (hardened, deepscreen to zero time) and some small tools.
Comodo leak, weak antivirus (MSE worse in my opinion) and software with many bugs that every update says 300 fix flaws, but I see more 500 :p (sarcasm). Your sandbox isolates many secure applications, it inrita much. If you are a patient and Advanced User as well, you can try Comodo.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Qihoo Internet security all the way because:
1) Better detection /clean up of viruses than other 2
2) ''Discontinued'' means NOTHING as the program is already finalized , and it is updating normally without problems.
3) Better start up of windows time than other 2.
4) Better and faster support/feedback
5) less buggs than other 2
6) NO ADDS (pop up advertisements etc...)

This is my personal experience as i have tried all these 3 software. I hope i helped you.....

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Qihoo Internet security all the way because:
1) Better detection /clean up of viruses than other 2
2) ''Discontinued'' means NOTHING as the program is already finalized , and it is updating normally without problems.
3) Better start up of windows time than other 2.
4) Better and faster support/feedback
5) less buggs than other 2
6) NO ADDS (pop up advertisements etc...)

This is my personal experience as i have tried all these 3 software. I hope i helped you.....

Same here.

1st I tried comodo. Got annoyed and removed it.
Then tried Avast, it was nice experience. But after reading lots of good stuffs about 360 IS I installed it to check it.
From that day onwards I am in love with it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.