New Update Comodo Online Security v1.2.0.37 Released (for Chromium Based Browsers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

Comodo Online Security v1.2.0.37 Released (for Chromium Based Browsers)

« on: Today at 04:31:17 PM »

Hi All,
We are happy to announce availability of Comodo Online Security browser extension for Chromium Based browsers.
Comodo Antivirus | Download Latest Technology Antivirus 2018
Comodo Online Security

What does it do?
This browser extension protects you against malicious and phishing URLs. When it encounter one such URL, it will show warning page as shown in enclosed snap, allowing user to: Continue browsing or Go back
It also allows user to report false-positive and you can also report suspicious sites.

I have Comodo Internet Security - Web-filtering, do i still need it?
In general no. It uses the same cloud based database. But there have been cases where for certain blocked cases CIS has not been able to show proper block page allowing you to continue browsing. Down the road we will be shipping this with Comodo Internet Security/Internet Security Essentials / Comodo Secure Shopping also.

What's next in it?
We are working on some cool innovation, where we will be able to detect phishing pages on the fly. Phishing is something that is increasing and need default-deny approach, like we have for unknown files. We have our own web site, where you can see latest phishing cases https://phishbank.org/

What about extensions for other browsers?
In works, we hope to release ones for IE, Mozilla and Edge this month.

Why extension, why not application?
Browser applications model is now getting more rigid and allowing to provide additional security via extensions only rather external applications.

If you have any feature request, you may pin under wish-list section.

Please give it a try and share your feedback.

Thanks
-umesh

There seems to be an extension called 'Comodo SecureTab' in comodo, but is it different from this.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I'm giving it a small spin right now. It has pretty good blocking abilities. But the sample links I'm using are about a week old or older so take that with a small pinch of salt.

Pros: Lightweight

Cons: There doesn't seem to be a way to un-allow a website. Once its a allowed it's allowed, no going back
There seems to be a bug where not all blocks are logged
The "take me back to safety" button in Chrome doesn't work on my system

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have also tried it. It is appreciated that there is no deceleration. This type of add-on has an extreme weight, but this has no change in behavior.
... I'm getting worried about whether it works properly.

I

illumination

I have also tried it. It is appreciated that there is no deceleration. This type of add-on has an extreme weight, but this has no change in behavior.
... I'm getting worried about whether it works properly.
I would be always leery of being a guinea pig for products by Comodo, as it is no secret that they rush things out before they should and generally they are quite buggy. Remember the "man-in-the-middle hole" Privacy Dog incident... This should be enough.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Seems like a front end for Comodo DNS URL filter. Why not extend their AD-blocker wiith this functionality?

Reactions: AtlBo and ZeroDay

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I would be always leery of being a guinea pig for products by Comodo, as it is no secret that they rush things out before they should and generally they are quite buggy. Remember the "man-in-the-middle hole" Privacy Dog incident... This should be enough.
And their product development often fades out like fog. Just like a spy that accomplished its purpose.:cool:

Seems like a front end for Comodo DNS URL filter. Why not extend their AD-blocker wiith this functionality?
I use multiple chrome type browsers. I tried putting this extension in SlimJet for trial purposes.:geek:

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
quickly tested comodo online security extension for chrome with 15 phishtank links

it blocked 0/15 (n)

... I understood the reason for being lightweight. Goodbye, Comodo Online Security.:ROFLMAO:

"COMODO Cloud Antivirus" extension was a good impression using Sandbox, but it seems that it has not been actively developed anymore.:unsure:

Comodo has always just been always too hard for me to use. There are much easier solutions out there. :)

Although products that offer only a single function can be used without hesitation, I think that the operation feeling of software that moves in conjunction with other functions such as firewall is certainly difficult to use. It is an impression that the athlete who polished technology individually is struggling with team work.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo has always just been always too hard for me to use. There are much easier solutions out there. :)

Yes, I guess I would estimate 2 years to learn how to use the program and tons of headaches and setup tests and all the rest. I've been using it one year :oops:...Oh btw, good luck when you start to notice the quirks...the beginning of woes. On the bright side, It doesn't break, it's a very good scheme, and it's free...Oh yes, and let's remember there really is something to be said for @cruelsister's settings...not so bad there...

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
I have the strange feeling that Comodo presents products with only half of the time so that we don't forget that their firewall and sandbox do a great job.
That's why Comodo users often have their eyes on other antivirus solutions.

Reactions: AtlBo

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Until recently I did not know about existence, but 'Extended Function Extensions' such as 'Comodo UAdBlocker' and 'Comodo AdBlocker' were also distributed.
This is truly a mystery.

Reactions: AtlBo and Garzaman
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.