Advice Request Compatibility of OSArmor with AV suites

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I was wondering how compatible is OSArmor when it runs in combination with AV suites.
If the AV suite has HIPS or something like ASR ( or ASR itself for Defender ) - do these play well with OSArmor ?
If any user is using OSArmor and ASR or OSArmor + AV with HIPS please let us know !

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I've been using it for a while now and haven't had any issues with it running along side the various AV/AM I've tried. I've ran it along side SHP, Eset, F-Secure and now WD, without issue. The thing about OSA is that it's not doing any real-time scanning, its more there to monitor access to certian vunerable processes and prevent files from running in certian areas (ie documents folder). The developer has suggested to exclude some of OSA files in your AV/AM to be on the safe side, but it may not be necessary. I have very basic knowledge with OSA, so others with more experience will probably be able to explain it better than I can.

In saying all of this, if you have a product with HIPS, technically OSA really isn't needed, provided that the HIPS is configured properly. For example, Eset has HIPS, but requires configuration. If you were to take the time to configure it, you really don't need OSA at all. Some people (like my self) just ran Eset HIPS in smart mode and ran OSA along side Eset (mostly because I'm too lazy to configure the HIPS), but as I've said it's technically not necessary.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I can confirm that there was no conflict between Eset and OSA.
I too had HIPS on Smart Mode and there wasn't any conflict.
But when i set HIPS to Interactive Mode i set an allow rule for OSA and everything was running smooth.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
OSA does not conflict with the ASR rules of Windows Defender. There is some overlap, but it does not cause issues, in my experience. Generally speaking, OSA is very compatible, it plays nicely with just about everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.