Guide | How To Completely Disable Windows Defender in windows 10

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The only way to disable it is if you install Windows 10 compatible AV that will disable Windows Defender. There is another way tho, but there is a chance that you will not be able to re-enable it afterwards.
  • Open Admin Command Prompt and type: gpedit.msc
  • Go to Computer Configuration =>Administrative Templates=>Windows Components=>Windows Defender
  • Double click on "Turn Off Windows Defender" and select "Enabled" then click "Apply"

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
The only way to disable it is if you install Windows 10 compatible AV that will disable Windows Defender. There is another way tho, but there is a chance that you will not be able to re-enable it afterwards.
  • Open Admin Command Prompt and type: gpedit.msc
  • Go to Computer Configuration =>Administrative Templates=>Windows Components=>Windows Defender
  • Double click on "Turn Off Windows Defender" and select "Enabled" then click "Apply"
or
Go to the Registry Editor (press Win + R, enter - regedit)
Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows Defender
Create a DWORD value named DisableAntiSpyware (if it is not in this section).
Set this parameter to 0 to Windows Defender has been included or 1, if you want to disable.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
In win7 with tons of Defender & MRT updates not to mention tons of net.framework & security critical updates I was still infected.!! Win 10 might be better but, in Win7 its all useless garbage downloads IMO..!! I forgot to mention the IE 11 Security update & found it useless as well. I am using Firefox now..!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
malicious recovery tool...........!

Almost..
Malicious Software *Removal Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

In win7 with tons of Defender & MRT updates not to mention tons of net.framework & security critical updates I was still infected.!! Win 10 might be better but, in Win7 its all useless garbage downloads IMO..!! I forgot to mention the IE 11 Security update & found it useless as well. I am using Firefox now..!
Infected by your mouse clicks. Keeping Windows updated and secure only minimizes the Security risks, but not from the user operating it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well since the solution is already covered for Windows Defender (Win 10) regarding in deactivation, therefore likely better to put it as sticky since there are tips which are in related to registry hack in order to achieve the result.

Any questions then feel free to contact for reopening. ;)

Reactions: nissimezra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.