Battle Compliment Windows Defender: Zemana AM, NoVirusThanks or VoodooShield?

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Hey, i have Windows Defender and im looking for a second layer of protection.

1) Zemana AM
2) NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro
3) VoodooShield FREE

Whats the best vs zero day malware, i mean, can ZAM protect me from true zero day malware or VoodooShield FREE is better or NoVirusThanks EXE?

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
vs zero days? we have not any product which be equal with VoodooShield against zerodays i assure you
but you should learn and read about VoodooShield how works.. personally? my english was not really good so i didnt underestand how it works, if you understand how it works? install it right now.
i think i know how it works but its the FREE not the pro. Also if it is a zero day malware it will go through it cause there will be no signs for it right??

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
i think i know how it works but its the FREE not the pro. Also if it is a zero day malware it will go through it cause there will be no signs for it right??
its free but probably the best against zerodays.
and about second part of your question, i still have a weak english knowledge so i didnt underestand your question correctly, anyway VS as i heard, will check the new and untrusted files ( before execute ) in VirusTotal and alarm you if found anything suspicius..

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
NVT ERP is not being actively developed and according to what developer said on the other forums it will be rebuild from scratch so the choice is quite simple - VS.
VS is well developed, easy to use, almost unbeatable and support is top notch.
ZAM... well... it's not bad but some of decisions regarding the development are rather weird (like removing the "ask user" option), low quality uninstaller (many leftovers not easy to remove for an average user) and not the best support doesn't make me their biggest fan.
My vote goes to VS but I am still curious what the future brings for ERP ;)

P.S.
You can still use ZAM portable as on demand scanner or simply run the PRO version next to VS.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
its free but probably the best against zerodays.
and about second part of your question, i still have a weak english knowledge so i didnt underestand your question correctly, anyway VS as i heard, will check the new and untrusted files ( before execute ) in VirusTotal and alarm you if found anything suspicius..
do you speak arabic or something else so i can translate it to you :)

NVT ERP is not being actively developed and according to what developer said on the other forums it will be rebuild from scratch so the choice is quite simple - VS.
VS is well developed, easy to use, almost unbeatable and support is top notch.
ZAM... well... it's not bad but some of decisions regarding the development are rather weird (like removing the "ask user" option), low quality uninstaller (many leftovers not easy to remove for an average user) and not the best support doesn't make me their biggest fan.
My vote goes to VS but I am still curious what the future brings for ERP ;)

P.S.
You can still use ZAM portable as on demand scanner if you really like it.
Right now im testing NVT ERP on a VM and its blocking all the kinds of viruses...

Last edited by a moderator:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I agree but if it is a zero day malware it can go through VoodooShield cauze there will be no signatures for it right?
So ERP can block it cause its not in the whitelist right?
VS is not signature based. VS is whitelisting software supported by VoodooAi, Cuckoo sandbox and VT scan.
ERP is pure anti-exe.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Dude, if VS finds something it uploads it and base on the blacklist it blocks it or allowes it right?
If we have a zero day malware VS doesnt have signatures of it right?
Nope.
PZWJxMz.png

Code:
http://www.voodooshield.com/Download/VoodooShieldUserGuide.pdf

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Dude, if VS finds something it uploads it and base on the blacklist it blocks it or allowes it right?
If we have a zero day malware VS doesnt have signatures of it right?
VS in always on or smart mode will block everything regardless of virustotal or voodooAi. It blocks first, then shows a popup with details: VT detection rate, Ai score -> Allow it or not
In those 2 modes VS works exactly the same as NVT but it shows you the VT and Ai score which help you to decide to keep blocking or allow. NVT simply blocks everything not on the whitelist but you don't have any information so it's not easy to decide if the file is safe or not. VS also creates a whitelist in the first installation

In autopilot mode, it's no longer a full anti-exe, it's hybrid. if you get a completely new malware, you will receive a popup like this: VT= 0 or 1/56 + Ai score = unsafe -> do you want to keep bloking it, or VS will automatically block the malware after 20 seconds
if you run a legit file, VS will block it first, then gets the VT score + Ai score. If VT=0 or 1 and Ai=safe => VS will automatically allow the file to run

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
VS in always on or smart mode will block everything regardless of virustotal or voodooAi. It blocks first, then shows a popup with details: VT detection rate, Ai score -> Allow it or not
In those 2 modes VS works exactly the same as NVT but it shows you the VT and Ai score which help you to decide to keep blocking or allow. NVT simply blocks everything not on the whitelist but you don't have any information so it's not easy to decide if the file is safe or not. VS also creates a whitelist in the first installation

In autopilot mode, it's no longer a full anti-exe, it's hybrid. if you get a completely new malware, you will receive a popup like this: VT= 0 or 1/56 + Ai score = unsafe -> do you want to keep bloking it, or VS will automatically block the malware after 20 seconds
if you run a legit file, VS will block it first, then gets the VT score + Ai score. If VT=0 or 1 and Ai=safe => VS will automatically allow the file to run
So VS is a better and more detailed version of NVT.
So its better to have in Autopilot?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So VS is a better and more detailed version of NVT?
yes of course. it has almost everything to be better
you can try it and evaluate yourself. Nothing is better than your own testing. I tried to explain but I'm sure not everyone can understand it. VS should be be explained by making a video with voice because it's complicated :)

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
yes of course. it has almost everything to be better
you can try it and evaluate yourself. Nothing is better than your own testing. I tried to explain but I'm sure not everyone can understand it. VS should be be explained by making a video with voice because it's complicated :)
its better to have it in Autopilot vs a zero day malware ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.