Battle Complimentary to ESET AV: HitmanPro.Alert or Webroot or Emisisoft Internet Security?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Due to limited experienced with Emsisoft and Webroot, I cannot make any recommendations apart from suggesting an alternate to HitmanPro.Alert:
  • KeyScrambler (Free) or Paid
  • SpyShelter (Free) or Paid
  • Zemana AntiLogger Premium
Is Keylogger Protection a must-have feature?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hmm, for ransomware, I would suggest winantiransom, the best, but you mention the antikeylogger function, I can suggest free tools like spyshelter or something else
HItman pro alert can protect you against all. good to go

edit:
zemana antilogger? better detection rate against ransomwares + antikeylogger. it doesnt protect against exploits

windows firewall is enough

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I would choose:

Free:
Sandboxie - For a more secure browsing. Also for testing new apps.
VoodooShield - A lightweight and easy to use Anti-Executable/Application Whitelisting software.
NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro (Freeware) - A simple Anti-Executable with advanced HIPS.

Paid:
AppGuard
- Probably the best paid Anti-Executable (For advanced users/Requires more user interaction).
Zemana AntiLogger - Protection against ransomware (Pandora) and keyloggers.

EDIT: I forgot to add Shadow Defender (Paid/light-virtualization tool)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I marked HitmanPro Alert and other. Suggestions made on behalf of virtualization software, I'm in strong agreement with as Sandboxie & Shadow Defender (respectively) have "reset" my system, and have also kept unwanted changes to zero which I am very grateful for.;) Though I am not experienced (yet) with the anti-expoit software to lock ones system down, I'd add my vote for them simply on their merit with those here whom are equally knowledgeable and strong in The Force!:D
would highly like Anti Keylogger or keylog encrypton
Tempnexus, as already mention :rolleyes:(above) Zemana Zemana Downloads – Security Software Free Trails protects against keyloggers, and HitmanPro Alert HitmanPro.Alert - SurfRight provides keyboard encryption as well as other protections. It is my preferred combination in concerns for key logging protection. Also, a password manager such as LastPass Download LastPass | LastPass is a practical choice so as not to have to key in passwords from the beginning.;)
When our Zemana expired on one of our two systems with Windows 10, I'd noticed the smaller overlay screen used to log into LastPass either doesn't encrypt or does not indicate it's encrypting as it does at most other times. An extra security step can be taken by opening the virtual keyboard page. For now, I've chosen to install KeyScrambler Personal (free) http://download.qfxsoftware.com/download/KeyScrambler_Setup.exe to ensure logging onto LastPass is safer. HitmanPro Alert plus KeyScrambler may feel like overkill, but KeyScrambler is always on; and indicates encryption of everything by default, including (I can see) this post!:p It can be disabled at startup, and left to be turned on manually when needed as we do.

Last edited:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
First you have understand which layers of security offer your packet of AV, than what you do on pc and with what your AV security lack..

1)For good morining AV dont offer you solid isolation so you can go Partial isolation for specific program like Sandboxie or full virtualized isolation for system/disks - Shadow Defender.

2a)If you think behavior is not enought powerfull to safe you pc by 0-day malware you can go pick HIPS: SpyShelter or ReHIPS
2b)Other similar layer is anty-exe which control process but not deep as HIPS does, but still usefull to stop some kinds of virus;
Exe Radar Pro, Voodooshield, WinPrivacy

3)Other addional anti-malware/spyware monitoring programs if you think your AV database is not enought to figure all virus, because is not. Malwarebytes, Zeamana AntiMalware, HitmanPro would improve it.

4) BACKUP, never forgot about keep backup your files on 2nd place not conected to your mian pc..
-2nd Disk not connected every day...
-Cloud backup(if you travel and patetic keep near myself all the time pendrive you can use cloud servers but remember to encrypt your files, hackers can bypass cloud storage, so keep it in mind)

Last edited:

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I would choose:

Free:
Sandboxie - For a more secure browsing. Also for testing new apps.
VoodooShield - A lightweight and easy to use Anti-Executable/Application Whitelisting software.
NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro (Freeware) - A simple Anti-Executable with advanced HIPS.

Paid:
AppGuard
- Probably the best paid Anti-Executable (For advanced users/Requires more user interaction).
Zemana AntiLogger - Protection against ransomware (Pandora) and keyloggers.

EDIT: I forgot to add Shadow Defender (Paid/light-virtualization tool)
I voted "other" and agree with the above post

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
hmm, for ransomware, I would suggest winantiransom, the best, but you mention the antikeylogger function, I can suggest free tools like spyshelter or something else
HItman pro alert can protect you against all. good to go

edit:
zemana antilogger? better detection rate against ransomwares + antikeylogger. it doesnt protect against exploits

windows firewall is enough
Well, yeah WinAntiRansom is already in my utility belt and installed however recently it has became very chatty even with regular software installs which I highly dislike since it turns me into a person that ignores the warning and is forced to click OK. This is not how that software should work.

Zemana Antimalware Premium, giveaway section has a premium version with 400 days license.
Expired. :( I bought a paid license but I don't use it's realtime protection just on demand.

ummmmm... what about nothing else ? ESET is self sufficient, you just need to know how to customize it to your needs.
How to customize ESET to allow that?

As a side note I am using Shadow Defender and Sandboxie now.
The protection I am looking for is when I thaw the system in order to update or install something I want to keep or some keyboard drivers I want to test then I want to make certain that I am safe to use that. Additionally, Shadow Defender or Sandboxie does not protect me from a drive by or being infected with something that steals my information during the current computer session. It only protects me from a persistent threat by the virtue of wiping the slate on reboot. Hence a good real time proactive protection is necessary in my own humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BillR5
D

Deleted member 178

How to customize ESET to allow that?.

check the settings; you have lot of options, and learn how to properly tighten the HIPS

Additionally, Shadow Defender or Sandboxie does not protect me from a drive by or being infected with something that steals my information during the current computer session. It only protects me from a persistent threat by the virtue of wiping the slate on reboot.

Sandboxie does, as i said above, learn your software and how to use its options.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
How to customize ESET to allow that?

As a side note I am using Shadow Defender and Sandboxie now.
The protection I am looking for is when I thaw the system in order to update or install something I want to keep or some keyboard drivers I want to test then I want to make certain that I am safe to use that. Additionally, Shadow Defender or Sandboxie does not protect me from a drive by or being infected with something that steals my information during the current computer session. It only protects me from a persistent threat by the virtue of wiping the slate on reboot. Hence a good real time proactive protection is necessary in my own humble opinion.

This is one of the reason why I remove AV detection on my system. Instead I solely rely on anti-exe to help me. It prompt alerts to me whenever it tries to modify a file on my system.

There're alot of information on how set/configure your ESET and sandboxie. You just need to dig. Keyword here is dig. Dig it here on MT or Google it for config. IF unsure about the config you found, post it here to confirm.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
There're alot of information on how set/configure your ESET and sandboxie. You just need to dig. Keyword here is dig. Dig it here on MT or Google it for config. IF unsure about the config you found, post it here to confirm.
Yes I have tweaked my sandboxie with specific blocks and driver blocks, area blocks, what loads and what does, what programs load per container etc. However, I need to read more about ESET.

However, Sandboxie doesn't work for many software installs that I try...not the tightened software installs hence the need for extra protection. For example many programs that install authentification and verification software that finger prints your system will fail under sandboxie install.

check the settings; you have lot of options, and learn how to properly tighten the HIPS

Sandboxie does, as i said above, learn your software and how to use its options.
I edit my ESET all the time I just don't enable AH in real time since it really kills the performance. However, HIPS in ESET is something I have never really played around with since for the longest time I've been using Emisisoft Internet Security and MAMUTU+Online Armor before that.

I used to use the TDS-3 and Process Guard from DiamondCS when they still existed.

H

hjlbx

However, Sandboxie doesn't work for many software installs that I try...not the tightened software installs hence the need for extra protection. For example many programs that install authentification and verification software that finger prints your system will fail under sandboxie install.

Installing software inside a sandbox like Sandboxie will inevitably lead to failures unless you create all the required access exceptions. Even with all the exceptions it still might not work.

If you don't trust a software enough to install it outside of Sandboxie and then run it sandboxed inside Sandboxie, it really calls into question as to why you would install any such program on your system in the first place ?

For what you are trying to accomplish you need Rollback Rx... the minute you see something you don't like you just delete the snapshot.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.