Computer Manufacturers Will Remove Windows 8’s Windows Defender – ESET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
While Windows 8 comes with the refreshed version of Windows Defender, the one that provides full anti-malware protection, new PC buyers won’t get it, says Aryeh Goretsky, researcher at antivirus software firm ESET.

The reason is as simple as it could be: computer manufacturers usually install a trial of a third-party security software on every sold PC and whenever a consumer purchases the full product, they also get a commission for the sale.

Read More

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
That's why it is better to buy a custom PC or build your own.
No OEM trial ware pre-installed.

I can see it now, new systems with trial versions of Norton, McAfee, etc.
Windows Defender uninstalled, users will let their subscriptions expire and have no protection at all.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Windows Defender uninstalled, users will let their subscriptions expire and have no protection at all.

as always , business is business :D

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Littlebits said:

More business for peeps like you! :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Same story over and over again, security vendors are the hypocrites. :-/

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
Same story over and over again, security vendors are the hypocrites. :-/

And I'm sure they'll say there's no monopoly. ;)

Really, then why does pretty much any pre-built system come with McAfee?

Edit: Actually, it reminds me a bit of IBM and Microsoft. Even when IBM had their own OS, they couldn't actually sell you one of their computers with OS/2 pre-installed. You could buy the OS at the time you purchased your computer, but your computer would come with Windows installed, and you would need to install OS/2 yourself.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
I wonder if there could be an antitrust case here? with windows installing an antivirus in its OS. LOL.. AV vendors should feel threatened.

D

Deleted member 178

i wonder why Windows didn't come with a built-in AV, a BB, an HIPS, a sandbox and a rollback system ...? :p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
I don't know if any of you can remember back to 2006 when Microsoft planned to release a security feature to protect the kernel called "Microsoft kernel temper protection" later name was changed to "PatchGuard".

http://www.pcworld.com/article/128262/article.html
http://www.gfi.com/blog/why-microsoft-patchguard-apis-arent-enough-symantec-vp-responds/
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/170977/microsoft_releases_first_draft_patchguard_apis/

This would have been the ultimate security protection feature against malware but because of all of the security vendors rejections and accusations that Microsoft was trying to run a monopoly in the PC security, Microsoft never went ahead with the plans to add the security feature.

One of the main complaints was that it would completely disable all security products that used HIPS features since they would have no access to the system kernel.

On the beneficial side, no malware would have access to the system kernel either.

Microsoft tried to give Windows the ultimate protection but was pushed away by third-party security vendors.

Enjoy!!:D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Longhorn and BlackComb were pretty ambitious in the security front. You know whats best, MS should use the linux kernel for next releases, jokes apart even when MS sold One care very few purchased it but on the server and enterprise side their products like forefront do well.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Littlebits said:

Yeah. Thats what I am worried about. I saw many PCs with their AV Subscriptiobn ended. I hope MS makes Windows automatically to enable (or install) Windows Defender if there was an out of subscription AV.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
MRF71 said:
Littlebits said:

More business for peeps like you! :p

Ha..ha..ha.. so true. :p

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Littlebits said:
I don't know if any of you can remember back to 2006 when Microsoft planned to release a security feature to protect the kernel called "Microsoft kernel temper protection" later name was changed to "PatchGuard".

http://www.pcworld.com/article/128262/article.html
http://www.gfi.com/blog/why-microsoft-patchguard-apis-arent-enough-symantec-vp-responds/
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/170977/microsoft_releases_first_draft_patchguard_apis/

This would have been the ultimate security protection feature against malware but because of all of the security vendors rejections and accusations that Microsoft was trying to run a monopoly in the PC security, Microsoft never went ahead with the plans to add the security feature.

One of the main complaints was that it would completely disable all security products that used HIPS features since they would have no access to the system kernel.

On the beneficial side, no malware would have access to the system kernel either.

Microsoft tried to give Windows the ultimate protection but was pushed away by third-party security vendors.

Enjoy!!:D

Couldn't say it better :D

*Noted that other vendors such as Apple also don't let third parties tamper with the operating system kernel.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
i wonder why Windows didn't come with a built-in AV, a BB, an HIPS, a sandbox and a rollback system ...? :p

lol the best suggestion I read at any forum
You are a true genius Umbra :D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
If that had happened Umbra would not be able to make a fortress config. Remember the WinFS filesystem which long horn was to come out with? It too had many security improvements. Even today in storage management ext4 beats the crap out of NTFS.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Stranger said:
Umbra Corp. said:

lol the best suggestion I read at any forum
You are a true genius Umbra :D

Microsoft did come up with a solution: "Microsoft kernel temper protection" would protect the system much better than any HIPS, sandbox, BB and would not require a system rollback since the kernel was protected. But third-party security vendors put Microsoft under a lot of pressure because it would make many of their products obsolete therefore Microsoft never applied it. Microsoft has the technology to make Windows safe where you simply would not need any advanced protection. It was first introduced in 2006. But it would put many security software vendors out of business and destroy the PC security software market.

Apple and Linux already have kernel temper protection, but everyone said Microsoft was trying to run a monopoly in the PC security when they tried to do the same with Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.