Computerfan21's config

Status
Not open for further replies.

doii

Apr 18, 2011
Nice config, on Ubuntu you have no problems as long as you don't run any 3rd party repos or scripts. If you stick with the official repos or only use really popular 3rd party ones (like Google chrome), your fine.

Always keep a backup. Backintime is a good front-end for rsync on linux.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
For Windows 7 :

Read Time Protectiom :
  • Add an antivirus :
  • What settings do you use for COMODO Firewall?Default?

On-Demand scanners :

Browsers Plugins :
This are a few plugins that will make your live more easy and confortable:

For Unbutu
You are not running a root account right?:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Add also EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) and a DNS just choose one: Norton DNS, ClearCloud or Comodo DNS.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if you don't use DNS its ok (still your an advance user) as long you experience a slowdown connection with a DNS.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Well if you don't use DNS its ok (still your an advance user) as long you experience a slowdown connection with a DNS.

What exactly are you trying to say?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I mean to say is that if you don't want to use DNS is that you can receive a FP or probably a slowdown connection to that DNS than to the ISP.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
I mean to say is that if you don't want to use DNS is that you can receive a FP or probably a slowdown connection to that DNS than to the ISP.
I think slowdown should be slower, that was where the confusion was.
But yes, you can experience a much slower connection if you use a DNS, especially if you have a high speed internet connection to begin with.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
elliotcroft said:
But yes, you can experience a much slower connection if you use a DNS, especially if you have a high speed internet connection to begin with.

The only thing DNS can affect is URL resolving. Throughput is unaffected by your DNS service.

In other words, browsing may be affected, (Most likely not noticeably unless your DNS is very bad. Even the worst resolvers are only adding around a tenth of a second to your URL lookup...) but once connected to a server, DNS plays no further part so uploads/download speeds are unaffected.

So no, regardless of what DNS service you decide to use, it can not make your connection slower.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
There are some exceptions: It depends on the content of the page. For example if there are many images stored on different servers the page will load slow. It also depends on your browsing habits, if you visit new sites everyday you will notice a slowdown. After the first visit the DNS response is cached so you shouldn't notice slowdowns on that page. I tried to choose 3rd party DNS providers that give me some extra features (content filtering, whitelisting, blacklisting).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I would agree for bogdan, if using DNS then your browsing will just load like a usual (Of course if you visit always the daily sites) that is same like from the ISP.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Also Dieselman made a blog post linking to this article that describes another issue with 3rd party DNS servers:
You know about Content Delivery Networks like Amazon, Akamai, etc. that have data centers located across the globe and they serve content from the one that’s closest to you geographically.
When you change your DNS the content might not be served to you from the closest location. In fact this happened to me on several ocasions. On JustinTV for example, while using the Norton DNS, content was served from Germany, usually it is served from a server inside my country (and the steaming is faster). I noticed this change while using Flagfox addon for Firefox (that conveniently shows a flag representing the server location in the address bar - plus other features)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.