Advice Request ConfigureDefender - Is it safe and what does it do?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I know exist a tool called defender configurator or something like that who allows configure defender in maximum seetings, changing police group and another things, i want to know if this program are good or are riskly, i want to know about your experiences whith this program ¿What is does whith defender?, ¿Defender increses it security?, ¿Can i config defender whitouth it?

ConfigureDefender: Windows Defender configuration tool - gHacks Tech News

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can configure Defender without it, either by Powershell commands or by GroupPolicy. But it is more complicated that way.

If you use CD recommended settings, it is not dangerous. If you enable protections that are not on the recommended settings, it might interfere with some software. If that happens, you just untick the protection that caused issues, and all is well.

Be forewarned that Controlled Folder Access is one of Microsoft's most poorly implemented features. You might have to do a lot of whitelisting, depending on your software and user habits.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Configure Defender is the easiest way to configure it. It is very easy to operate and takes only two minutes

It is a 100% safe and easy to use program.

@Andy Ful also created Hard_Configurator, which is an excellent tool to harden Windows, highly recommended for advanced users.

If you want to harden windows easily in follow up of Caballero el senor normal, just get nvt sys hardener and install it at stock settings for powerful hardening, pair it up. With nvt osarmor at stock settings for real-time unknown threats blocking an excellent signature less solution.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I use Configure Defender in my current setup and it's very safe and easy to use. All it does is apply settings the MS has burried within W10 to further improve WD's overall security.

Like other have said, you can configure the exact same settings manually either via Powershell, registry, and/or group policy editor (will need atleast W10 Pro for this), however Configrue Defender makes it far easier to do. At the end of the day whether you use Configure Defender, or apply the settings manually, the results will be the same. All it really comes down to is whether you want to do it manually (will take longer), or do you just want to take like 5 secs and use Configure Defender to apply the same settings for you? Which ever route you decide to go, just remember to restart your computer in order for the settings to take effect.(y)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Compatibility issues? what kind. I use this update and is runing very fine, but i have a litle problem whith office. But then everyting go ok.
Night light is Broken in 1903.
even i had problem with Office but i'll wait till the other apps and drivers gets updated for 1903 and will move after reading reviews.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I found a torjan named Trojan.Autoit.Wirus in my windows defender configurator, that i got from github.
Which AV detected it?
I just downloaded it from github sha-256 d136ab7f162f04a36071a3292e2f52fef01dd82562218bee10f36462f9b0ff35 it's labeled clean on Virus Total and also Cyberlock and it's Whitelistcloud say it's safe. If you didn't download it somewhere else I would say it's a False Positive of your AV.

Reactions: oldschool and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.