From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
So basically you're depending using more solutions because WD isn't enough...
He said that if the protection of a particular AV will fail, then he will prefer another one to do a full scan. This is especially true for WD, because WD real-time protection is far stronger than WD signatures used by the full scan.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Not need to do scan with WD. Have faster and better solutions :)
I should be more precise. One can do a full scan after the malware was run, but was also mitigated by WD. The full scan can remove malware leftovers. Of course, it is recommended and logical to use something else, too.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I should be more precise. One can do a full scan after the malware was run, but was also mitigated by WD. The full scan can remove malware leftovers. Of course, it is recommended and logical to use something else, too.
Andy I have my own way of downloading and controlling files. And with Avast I did the same because I always had the pro version. I always have a sandbox. For this i used Avast Pro antivirus and 360ts for many years. Because of sandbox. Like this i no need to do scan. Now with windows defender i have Shade sanbox. And for many years i have Hitman Pro . I trust so many this product. And i want to do one scan i will do with Hitman .

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I am not sure, if the theme of WD full scans is worth our time. Let's agree that such scans are pretty much useless, and in the home environment one can use WD happily without them. :)
I found one important exception. Generally, the AV full scans can be very useful in summer. When you are infected, then simply turn off the computer and go on vacation. After two weeks the full scan will probably detect/remove any malware.:)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Can someone please explain the mechanics of the following?

I have enabled ASR rule "Block executable files from running .... "
I run BraveNightly.exe to grab the latest update ...
I get WD notification
Capture.PNG...
Brave Nightly appears to update regardless of block notification. 🤔

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

I get WD notification
View attachment 238590...
Brave is one virus finaly .....:p

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

I get WD notification
View attachment 238590...
Normally, after such an alert the executable is blocked. It seems that in your case the file was initially blocked, but finally allowed because of updating ASR rules.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Lol there is no point to do system scan except u dont change av, just when u install it (or reactivate windows defender). Otherwise real protection should do their job. I think the real cons of windows defender is that other av react fast to update signatures vs zero days.
Yes, this can be an issue for Enterprises, where many computers are disconnected from the Internet. The attack can be performed from the local network. It can be an issue for others, when the Internet connection is very poor or users have limited Internet abonament.
If Cloud-delivered protection is dysfunctional, then WD is not a good solution.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.