ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I think the Bleepingcomputer article about ConfigureDefender few days ago gave it very good exposure and the YouTube reviewer probably learnt about it from that article. I also personally met a person online who came to know about it from that article and now more people because of this video will start using it. It's really good to see Andy's hard work getting the recognition it deserves outside of our geeky forums 👌
Would be funny if Microsoft personally contacted him to work for them

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Is there any interference with the configure defender being used with LTSC or LTSB windows?
No, if you do not use GPO for configuring Defender settings. Please read the page nr. 4 in the ConfigureDefender help for more details:

CDH4.png

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy Ful Btw, Configure Defender's changes are equally effective in Windows 10 Home and Pro, right? There's no difference for the absent of group policy in the former.
The differences between the available settings do not depend on GPO. Some settings can be available on Windows E3 or E5 (like detonating suspicious files in the cloud sandbox) and are not available on Windows Home and Pro. ConfigureDefender uses those settings that work on all Windows editions.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Andy Ful, Today while extracting a malicious password protected archive using Bandizip by clicking "Extract Here", before I even entered the password, I received a notification and upon clicking it I got this. So, WD or maybe we need to start calling it MD, was asking for my permission before sending the suspicious zip file to them which is fine but I already had set via Configure Defender to send files automatically using the latest version 3.0.0.1.
I'm on a freshly installed Windows 10 May Update 2004. Maybe MS has changed something recently with this version?! You should have a look.
"Antimalware Client Version: 4.18.2004.6"
z.PNG

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy Ful, Today while extracting a malicious password protected archive using Bandizip by clicking "Extract Here", before I even entered the password, I received a notification and upon clicking it I got this. So, WD or maybe we need to start calling it MD, was asking for my permission before sending the suspicious zip file to them which is fine but I already had set via Configure Defender to send files automatically using the latest version 3.0.0.1.
I'm on a freshly installed Windows 10 May Update 2004. Maybe MS has changed something recently with this version?! You should have a look.
"Antimalware Client Version: 4.18.2004.6"
View attachment 241622
The automatic submission is probably related to file execution. For files not executed you will be asked on submission. I think that this is a good solution.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I noticed that WD creates behavioral based generic signatures which complements their behavioral blocker I guess. I keep an eye on the signatures they make and seeing them creating this type of signatures more than before nowadays which shows they're improving the quality of the product 👌
1.png

2.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I just reformatted my MS SP3 tablet and only intends to use the default Windows Firewall and Windows Defender for protection

I went to AndyFul/ConfigureDefender to download ConfigureDefender-master zip file and upon unzipping found only one exe file

So is this ConfigureDefender exe file for 32 or 64-bit Windows or meant for both?

Thanks

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hi

I just reformatted my MS SP3 tablet and only intends to use the default Windows Firewall and Windows Defender for protection

I went to AndyFul/ConfigureDefender to download ConfigureDefender-master zip file and upon unzipping found only one exe file

So is this ConfigureDefender exe file for 32 or 64-bit Windows or meant for both?

Thanks
Is for both.
Added DLL hijacking protection - 64-bit and 32-bit installers are wrapped into one installer by NSISS.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi

Thanks
Hi

Thanks
Did you notice the readme.txt file in the archive?:)
It contains some useful information:

"INFO ABOUT EXECUTABLES

The executable ConfigureDefender.exe contains executables for Windows 64-bit and 32-bit (wrapped by NSISS).

Please run the NotificationAreaReset.exe to clear the cache if the taskbar notification area cache contains too many unused entries. This can happen for many applications that put icons into the notification area. This was also a case for ConfigureDefender (standalone version 3.0.0.0). From version 3.0.0.1, ConfigureDefender does not use notification area anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIGUREDEFENDER DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY

THIS SOFTWARE IS DISTRIBUTED "AS IS". NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE AUTHOR WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DATA LOSS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS OR ANY OTHER KIND OF LOSS WHILE USING THIS SOFTWARE.

Distribution
ConfigureDefender may be freely distributed as long as no modification is made to it.
"

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
hi guys, need help here.
I tried to setting "High" instead of "Default". I am running Kaspersky Antivirus and ran some OOshutup and debotnet in the past. Firewall is simplewall
How do i resolve this?
Simple. You choose bewteen Kaspersky and Windows Defender. K is blocking powershell commands or registry changes used by CD. You can't run both in real-time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.