Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Microsoft finished analyzing configuredefender_1.0.0.1.zip
No malware (see attachment).:)
@Daniel Keller, @Av Gurus, please check if Defender still recognizes it as dangerous. If so, I have to alert Microsoft (that happened to me once with Hard_Configurator installer).

Attachments

• SubmissionFinished.png
    SubmissionFinished.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 581

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Why would anyone want to enable power shell these days?
That is why I use Appguard.
You can allow PowerShell for a moment to Configure Defender settings. :)
AppGuard is great, but it cannot replace antivirus/antimalware.
Anyway, Defender default + AppGuard is better than Defender highest without AppGuard.(y)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I put WD at high settings, downloaded the latest build of OSArmor, and tried to open Windows File Explorer. It was super slow to display contents. What went wrong?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I did not actually install OSArmor, I just downloaded it.
I am wondering which Defender setting causes a delay in File Explorer. Is it maximum heuristics, or maximum time for cloud lookup, or what?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Am I beating a irrelevant horse, or should everyone using Windows Defender also set Application Settings to (Allow from the Windows Store only).
Users can set a Warning (or Allow) instead of restricting to Store only. However Blocking may be a good approach as part of Parental control or restricting users to certain applications.
upload_2018-1-18_18-35-18.png

Many 3rd Antivirus users end up getting Infected with Malware / Ransomware. Don't take cheap jabs aimed at Windows Defender users. As an Antivirus / Security solution is only as effective as their end-user.
At least Windows 10, version 1607 (Anniversary Update):
Block At First Seen.
@Andy Ful "Block At First Sight"

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Users can set a Warning (or Allow) instead of restricting to Store only. However Blocking may be a good approach as part of Parental control or restricting users to certain applications.
View attachment 178259
Many 3rd Antivirus users end up getting Infected with Malware / Ransomware. Don't take cheap jabs aimed at Windows Defender users. As an Antivirus / Security solution is only as effective as their end-user.

@Andy Ful "Block At First Sight"
Microsoft uses DisableBlockAtFirstSeen parameter to configure this feature via PowerShell.
They cannot decide about the name.:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft uses DisableBlockAtFirstSeen parameter to configure this feature via PowerShell.
They cannot decide about the name.:)
It's more confusing to use whatever bts parameter. Based on gpedit.msc (ie. Local Group Policy Editor) and (if not all) How-To Guides on the Internet, all call refer it as Block at First Sight, and hence is my suggestion to change the name to Block At First Sight.

Google "block at first seen" and you'll find very little or no information, other than docs(dot)microsoft(dot)com

Reactions: Andy Ful

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It's more confusing to use whatever bts parameter. Based on gpedit.msc (ie. Local Group Policy Editor) and (if not all) How-To Guides on the Internet, all call refer it as Block at First Sight, and hence is my suggestion to change the name to Block At First Sight.

Google "block at first seen" and you'll find very little or no information, other than docs(dot)microsoft(dot)com
I think that 'block at first seen' was the primary working name for this feature, and next, they changed it to 'block at first sight' (maybe looks better in English). I checked this also in Microsoft articles and 'block at first sight' seems to be actually the better name.:)

Reactions: shmu26

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I put WD at high settings, downloaded the latest build of OSArmor, and tried to open Windows File Explorer. It was super slow to display contents. What went wrong?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I did not actually install OSArmor, I just downloaded it.
I am wondering which Defender setting causes a delay in File Explorer. Is it maximum heuristics, or maximum time for cloud lookup, or what?
I have no idea. I also configured 'Defender high settings' and even installed OSArmour (default). Everything is normal. But except OSArmor, I do not use another non-Microsoft security.
Edit.
Please, check it after some minutes, because Windows can slow down when updating Windows Store, performing some scheduled tasks, etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.