ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Andy Ful - It seems that beginning with 1809 (I think) when executing a program I get this message instead of the the usual grey smartscreen warning. Can you explain what has changed in Windows? :unsure:

Attachments

• MS Store 2019-05-31 092447.png
    MS Store 2019-05-31 092447.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 329

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful - It seems that beginning with 1809 (I think) when executing a program I get this message instead of the the usual grey smartscreen warning. Can you explain what has changed in Windows? :unsure:
Gandalf_The_Grey is right. This setting is not supported in ConfigureDefender (it is a combination of SmartScreen = Block for desktop applications and normal SmartScreen for Apps from Microsoft Store).
But on Windows 1903 your setting seems to be default:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Gandalf_The_Grey is right. This setting is not supported in ConfigureDefender (it is a combination of SmartScreen = Block for desktop applications and normal SmartScreen for Apps from Microsoft Store).
But on Windows 1903 your setting seems to be default:
For me on 1903 the default after a clean install is "Anywhere".

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
NEW CONFIGUREDEFENDER ver. 2.0.0.1
1. For Windows 64-bit: AndyFul/ConfigureDefender
2. For Windows 32-bit: AndyFul/ConfigureDefender

What is new?
  1. Added icon.
  2. Added the section PROTECTION LEVELS which includes the renamed buttons: <Defender default settings> ----> <DEFAULT> <Defender high settings> ----> <HIGH> <Child Protection> ----> <MAX>
  3. Added the button <Defender Security Log>, which allows seeing last 200 Windows Defender events. It also shows the names of ASR rules alongside GUIDs.
  4. Added the splash alert when applying time-consuming features.
  5. Renamed option "Reporting Level (MAPS membership level)" to "Cloud-delivered Protection" (the name used in the WD Security Center) and renamed its "Advanced" setting to "ON".
  6. Extended the abilities of <REFRESH> button.
  7. Updated the changes made by Microsoft to allow file & folder exclusions for some additional ASR rules.
  8. Corrected the issue with closing the application.
  9. Extended the help.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Have installed New ConfigureDefender with Commodo Firewall at CS seetings plus HIPS. Version of Windows 1903. Made a restore point.Disabled the sandbox for 15 minutes and put HIPS in training mode. Protection level of CD High.Booting. So far so good. Thanks for your excellent work.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Have installed New ConfigureDefender with Commodo Firewall at CS seetings plus HIPS. Version of Windows 1903. Made a restore point.Disabled the sandbox for 15 minutes and put HIPS in training mode. Protection level of CD High.Booting. So far so good. Thannks for your excellent work.
Did CF allow running ConfigureDefender unsandboxed?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Installed along with Firewall Hardening Tool. Thanks Andy. (y)I guess the new icons only come with H_C? :unsure:
New icons for H_C, ConfigureDefender, DocumentsAntiExploit, and SwitchDefaultDeny shortcuts can be downloaded from H_C website on GitHub:
But, I did not prepare new icons for RunBySmartScreen, yet.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Can someone explain these options a little, and what Defender does when their ON vs. when their OFF?

"Behavior Monitoring"

"Scan all downloaded files and attachments"

"Script Scanning"

Just what they say and are basic functions of any AV. I think they are self-explanatory categories and On/Off mean just that. You want them all On.(y):)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
"Behavior Monitoring"
The AV engine will monitor file processes, file and registry changes, and other events on your endpoints for suspicious and known malicious activity. These activities include events such as processes making unusual changes to existing files, modifying or creating automatic startup registry keys and startup locations and other changes to the file system or file structure.

"Scan all downloaded files and attachments"
Downloaded files and attachments are automatically scanned. This operates in addition to the SmartScreen filter, which scans files before and during downloading.

"Script Scanning"
I couldn't find a description from Microsoft about script scanning. Essentially, all scripts that run are automatically scanned.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.