From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10/11.

New version 4.0.0.0 is available on the developer website (updated in January 2024):
https://github.com/AndyFul/ConfigureDefender

Softpedia:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/ConfigureDefender.shtml

ConfigureDefender utility is a GUI application to view and configure important Defender settings on Windows 10/11. It mostly uses PowerShell cmdlets (with a few exceptions). Furthermore, the user can apply one of three predefined settings: Default, High, and Max. Applying settings requires restarting the computer.
Recommended for most users are High settings
. The Max protection is mostly set to block anything suspicious via Attack Surface Reduction, Controlled Folder Access, SmartScreen (set to Block), and 0-tolerance cloud level - also Defender Security Center is hidden.
ConfigureDefender utility is a part of the Hard_Configurator project, but it can be used as a standalone application.

Some reviews:
Windows 10 Defender's hidden features revealed by this free tool (bleepingcomputer.com)
Windows Defender configuration tool ConfigureDefender 3.0.0.0 released - gHacks Tech News

Attachments

• ConfigureDefender11.png
    ConfigureDefender11.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,288
  • ConfigureDefender21.png
    ConfigureDefender21.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,233
  • ConfigureDefender30.png
    ConfigureDefender30.png
    25 KB · Views: 1,205
Last edited:

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Am I beating a irrelevant horse, or should everyone using Windows Defender also set Application Settings to (Allow from the Windows Store only).

For the record that doesn't mean you can never approve non WS apps, but a strong denial and essentially warning of non Windows apps are being installed.

*Always check every .exe with VirusTotal

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Am I beating a irrelevant horse, or should everyone using Windows Defender also set Application Settings to (Allow from the Windows Store only).

For the record that doesn't mean you can never approve non WS apps, but a strong denial and essentially warning of non Windows apps are being installed.

Thanks, Andy!
Which settings, if any, would be applicable to people using a 3rd party AV?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

This setting (Allow from the Windows Store only) is mainly equivalent to SmartScreen = Block.
One should understand that this setting allows running any application:
  • downloaded via Internet Downloader software,
  • embedded in archives (ZIP, 7-ZIP, ARJ, etc.)
  • from non-NTFS sources (pendrives, DVDs, ISO images, etc.)
So, one can be easily infected when opening the malicious document (DOC, RTF, PDF, etc.):
embedded script trojan downloader -> run downloaded malware.exe

Thanks, Andy!
Which settings, if any, would be applicable to people using a 3rd party AV?
I am afraid that those features (except SmartScreen and Hide Security Center) work only for Windows Defender.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
You are welcome.:)
Yet, Microsoft has to improve some features like 'Average CPU load while scanning' and 'Network Protection'.
They do not work on some computers. This issue was also commented by members on Wilderssecurity forum.

Last edited:

Daniel Keller

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2016
Regarding the ASR (Office part) someone also has to take into account, that only these Office suits are supported:
  • Microsoft Office 365
  • Microsoft Office 2016
  • Microsoft Office 2013
  • Microsoft Office 2010
So, if you are on MS Office 2007 or other - e.g. Libre Office - this is of no use...

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
...think this only Hide WDSC. Right?

View attachment 178173
Yes. The setting ????? is only visible when one made some WDSC restrictions using reg tweaks or GPO.

Exploit Protection don't remember settings.
I set all to "Enable" after Refresh/Restart settings are back to "Disabled".

View attachment 178172
Thanks. Confirmed. I will correct this today.:)
In fact, the ASR settings are enabled, but ConfigureDefender when compiled for Windows 32-bit and ran on Windows 64-bit, shows wrongly that ASR is disabled. I did not notice this and pushed only one executable compiled for Windows 32-bit. I will upload ConfigureDefender for 64-bit Windows in an hour.

New link to ConfigureDefender ver. 1.0.0.1
ConfigureDefender/ConfigureDefender_1.0.0.1.zip at master · AndyFul/ConfigureDefender · GitHub
The file contains the ConfigureDefender_x32.exe (Windows 32-bit) and ConfigureDefender_x64.exe (Windows 64-bit).

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The importance of 'Cloud Protection Level' and 'Cloud Check Time Limit' can be seen here:
Detonating a bad rabbit: Windows Defender Antivirus and layered machine learning defenses
"If you are organization that is willing to accept a higher false positive risk in exchange for stronger protection, you can configure the cloud protection level to tell the Windows Defender AV cloud protection service to take a more aggressive stance towards suspicious files, such as blocking at lower machine learning probability thresholds. In the Tibbar example above, for example, a configuration like this could have protected patient zero using the initial 81% confidence score, and not wait for the higher confidence (detonation-based) result that came later. You can also configure the cloud extended timeout to give the cloud protection service more time to evaluate a first-seen threat.

As another layer of real-time protection against ransomware, enable Controlled folder access, which is one of the features of the new Windows Defender Exploit Guard. Controlled folder access protects files from tampering by locking folders so that ransomware and other unauthorized apps cant access them.

For enterprises, Windows Defender Exploit Guards other features (Attack Surface Reduction, Exploit protection, and Network protection) further protect networks from advanced attacks."

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Works great.
This comment is about Office exploit protection in general, not about ConfigureDefender:
I have a certain Word add-on, "SaveReminder Ver 2.1.dotm", it lives in the Word startup folder in Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft. After enabling Office exploit protection, I got an error message when opening Word, saying that the file was blocked. Okay fine, but when I open the exceptions tab to fix the problem, I discover that the add-on file is gone entirely. It is not even in WD quarantine. Cute, huh?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Works great.
This comment is about Office exploit protection in general, not about ConfigureDefender:
I have a certain Word add-on, "SaveReminder Ver 2.1.dotm", it lives in the Word startup folder in Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft. After enabling Office exploit protection, I got an error message when opening Word, saying that the file was blocked. Okay fine, but when I open the exceptions tab to fix the problem, I discover that the add-on file is gone entirely. It is not even in WD quarantine. Cute, huh?
That is strange, it should be quarantined. It can be a Defender bug.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.