ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Just saying, malware testing shouldn't be done in any virtual system. You will never get fully legit result because of various factors like malware recognizing the environment and acting differently, etc...
Buy a cheap computer, or test on another system drive.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This issue with ShadowDefender should be solved by leaving the ShadowMode, setting WD with ConfigureDefender, checking/correcting the settings in WD Security Center, restarting the computer, and entering the ShadowMode again.(y)
This seems quite a hassle. I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Just saying, malware testing shouldn't be done in any virtual system. You will never get fully legit result because of various factors like malware recognizing the environment and acting differently, etc...
This is true but most of the samples tested in the hub here are not environment aware so this is not a huge issue. The hub tests give user a basic idea of how effective a product might be against relatively new samples. For absolute professional grade testing there are other sources out there.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I'm amazed by MS duality... they dismiss the issue saying it need admin rights but at same time when everyone install Windows, the default account is the admin one...and few will know or even create SUA.
99% of the windows users I know, just use Admin account for daily use and the few who use SUA is because they setup it for family members, not for security purposes...

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I always get more paranoid about security this time of year. Currently running H_C on Recommended settings with ConfigureDefender set to High Protection Level and H_C recommended FirewallHardening rules only enabled (should I be using the others as well?). I'm thinking of maybe moving ConfigureDefender up to Max Settings but is that necessary? Any advice if I do swap over to Max?

Thanks,

Erz

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I always get more paranoid about security this time of year. Currently running H_C on Recommended settings with ConfigureDefender set to High Protection Level and H_C recommended FirewallHardening rules only enabled (should I be using the others as well?). I'm thinking of maybe moving ConfigureDefender up to Max Settings but is that necessary? Any advice if I do swap over to Max?

Thanks,

Erz
You have already very strong and restrictive protection. Please, try to live with it for a couple of weeks to see if it is not too restrictive for you. Look from time to time at H_C, ConfigureDefender, and FirewallHardening Logs to see if something was blocked. Some software updates may be blocked with this default-deny setup.
After that, you can think about changing ConfigureDefender or FirewallHardening settings, or add some H_C advanced settings. But, this is not recommended, except when you use not updated Windows or vulnerable/unpatched software.
Please let me know if you will encounter problems with default-deny setup.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
You have already very strong and restrictive protection. Please, try to live with it for a couple of weeks to see if it is not too restrictive for you. Look from time to time at H_C, ConfigureDefender, and FirewallHardening Logs to see if something was blocked. Some software updates may be blocked with this default-deny setup.
After that, you can think about changing ConfigureDefender or FirewallHardening settings, or add some H_C advanced settings. But, this is not recommended, except when you use not updated Windows or vulnerable/unpatched software.
Please let me know if you will encounter problems with default-deny setup.

Thanks @Andy Ful :D I think I just needed reassurance what I'm currently using is sufficient to protect me. I've had it for a number of weeks and so far no issues with anything being blocked.

Cheers,

Erz

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
please excuse me if im missing it on the configure utility but anyway to have windows defender check for updates more then the default selected? anyway for the application to check for updates every 1 hours? I'm currently using F secure but set windows defender up on family computers with the utility. just wondering if I can set WD up to updates it's signatures more.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
please excuse me if im missing it on the configure utility but anyway to have windows defender check for updates more then the default selected? anyway for the application to check for updates every 1 hours? I'm currently using F secure but set windows defender up on family computers with the utility. just wondering if I can set WD up to updates it's signatures more.
You can via powershell > Set MpPreference but you don't really need to. WD's main protection comes from cloud lookup, which is more up to date than local sigs. I wouldn't bother.

If you insist, then look here Set-MpPreference

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.