ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Is running Voodoshield along side WD on Configure Defender High Protection Level , compatible in the sense that it might catch things smart screen may miss?

If you are talking about VS's VT scoring component, then probably not. Smartscreen is very strong on its own with the size of the M$ network.

OTOH, VS is a perfect companion because it will block scripting attacks but this strength is user-dependent --> if the user allows it then "game over." If the user follows the VS Golden Rule and only allows things they are intending to to run, then no problems.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Is running Voodoshield along side WD on Configure Defender High Protection Level , compatible in the sense that it might catch things smart screen may miss?

Technically it is possible but unlike as most malware is poorly made and exploit kits / signed malware isn't common.

WD (ConfigureDefender HIGH settings) + VS is OK. SmartScreen ignores the files without MOTW, so adding VS is acceptable. Other possibilities like malware with stolen reputable certificates, archives containing legal & signed EXE + DLL (DLL hijacking), etc., can also pass by SmartScreen protection, but they are too rare and rather expected in targeted attacks.
As @oldschool mentioned, VS also adds some anti-scripting protection.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The new version of portable ConfigureDefender (3.0.0.0):

What is new?
Version 3.0.0.0
1. Corrected a bug related to the error when "Defender Security" Log is empty.
2. Removed events Id=1117 and Id=5007 from Defender Security Log.
3. Extended the maximal number of entries in the Log to 300.
4. Extended the "Cloud Time Check Limit" in HIGH Protection Level from 10s to 20s.
5. Added DLL hijacking protection - 64-bit and 32-bit installers are wrapped into one installer by NSISS.
6. Corrected some minor bugs.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I guess this is included in next H_C update?
Same Question (I think) Do I have to reinstall to get the update?
The new ConfigureDefender will be included in the upcoming H_C stable version. Most changes are included in the H_C beta 5.0.1.1 which will be available after a few days.
The portable version of ConfigureDefender 3.0.0.0 can be used alongside the current stable version of H_C (5.0.0.0) - the only difference is that it cannot be run directly from H_C's main window, because the executable names are different (ConfigureDefender.exe, and ConfigureDefender_x64.exe or ConfigureDefender_x86.exe).

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Believe me, few people know Avast like me. :)
For a long time, I 've been consistently having 55 fps average as result when running the benchmark mode of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Now that I've switched to Avast, with Do not disturb mode and enabling the "suspend all non-gaming processes" from the geek:area, I now get 61 fps. That's a 6 fps improvement, not only at average, but also minimum and maximum.
I don't know exactly how they suspend non-gaming processes, but looks like it works.

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
The new version of portable ConfigureDefender (3.0.0.0):

What is new?
Version 3.0.0.0
1. Corrected a bug related to the error when "Defender Security" Log is empty.
2. Removed events Id=1117 and Id=5007 from Defender Security Log.
3. Extended the maximal number of entries in the Log to 300.
4. Extended the "Cloud Time Check Limit" in HIGH Protection Level from 10s to 20s.
5. Added DLL hijacking protection - 64-bit and 32-bit installers are wrapped into one installer by NSISS.
6. Corrected some minor bugs.
Just tried, bu I got an error message (see attached picture). Is it related with SysHardener settings?

Error.jpg

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
For a long time, I 've been consistently having 55 fps average as result when running the benchmark mode of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Now that I've switched to Avast, with Do not disturb mode and enabling the "suspend all non-gaming processes" from the geek:area, I now get 61 fps. That's a 6 fps improvement, not only at average, but also minimum and maximum.
I don't know exactly how they suspend non-gaming processes, but looks like it works.
Please bear in mind that this thread is not about Avast. Let's do not expand the Avast details here.(y)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Just tried, bu I got an error message (see attached picture). Is it related with SysHardener settings?

View attachment 238706
The issue comes probably from blocking PowerShell command-lines, but SysHardener settings do not block them. Something else blocks PowerShell, maybe some advanced OSArmor settings?

You can check the event IDs = 4100, 4101, 4102, 4103, and 4104 in Windows Event Viewer.
(Applications and Service logs > Microsoft > Windows > PowerShell / Operational)
You can also use NirSoft FullEventLogView to identify the issue (Options >> Advanced options >> Show only the specified event IDs (comma-delimited list) >> put the 4100, 4101, 4102, 4103, 4104.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I am getting apparently harmless blocks of CD by ASR rule "Block executables unless they ..."

View attachment 238721

... but I also got a separate, one-time system notification that NSIS was blocked or failed to install.
The ASR block comes from not updated WD signatures (you use MAX or custom CD settings). Did you manage to install CD?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.