Advice Request Configuring Chrome and Sandboxie for maximum protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
As the title suggests I want to configure Chrome for maximum protection. Currently I have Chrome set to forced program in Sandboxie. Sandboxie is set to clear data on exit. Are there any more settings that are needed to be adjusted?

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Free or Licensed Sandboxie?
Sandboxie free version tutorial?
for starters > look at Sandbox Settings of your discrete Chrome Sandbox
Restrictions > Internet Access
Restrictions > Start/Run Access
4843.png
Sandboxie - Getting Started
Sandboxie - Frequently Asked Questions
Sandboxie Support - Index page
Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea
Is Sandboxie useless on Windows 10?

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As the title suggests I want to configure Chrome for maximum protection. Currently I have Chrome set to forced program in Sandboxie. Sandboxie is set to clear data on exit. Are there any more settings that are needed to be adjusted?
Are you on Windows 10? If so, keep in mind that Sandboxie degrades native Chrome security because it prevents Chrome from running in appcontainer. So it is not clear whether you really gain any security. You are trading appcontainer for SBIE sandbox. Which is better? It's been debated to death on the other forum, with no clear conclusion.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I'm in Windows 7 and so I don't have the appcontainer. However I'm having a little problem with Sandboxie. It seems that when Chrome is running sandboxed my Adguard extension will not update. Even if I manually update the extension inside the sandbox the next time I relaunch Chrome the updates are discarded. Does this mean that I have won't be able to update AdGuard while running Chrome sandboxed?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does this mean that I have won't be able to update AdGuard while running Chrome sandboxed?
Correct. That is the idea of Sandboxie: all changes are contained in the sandbox. (This does not apply to changes that are synced with the cloud.) The correct way to update a sandboxed browser is to empty the sandbox, and then update on the real system. When you then run the browser sandboxed, the changes and updates will be copied over as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.