Confused. What anti-virus should I use?

knownothing

Thread author
May 8, 2014
Please help me choose an antivirus proetection, jusr removed AVG and now unprotected, it'a all so confusing. Thanks.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
My recommendation is ESET NOD32 with some on-demand scanners like Malwarebytes and some browser extensions like Adblock and Ghostery. This setup serves me well. :)

knownothing

Thread author
May 8, 2014
Thank you all, but see what I mean different opinions - confusing :) so I suppose pot luck. I thought AVG was supposed to be good but it became a pest. So Avira maybe after I find any remnants of old ones, think McFee is lurking somewhere.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@knownothing If you download Avira Free from avira.com, it will download Avira Online Essentials which is basically an account for your Avira products (Antivirus, Online Backup etc).

Creating an Avira account is optional. You may be able to download Avira Free Antivirus from Softpedia without Avira Online Essentials.

knownothing

Thread author
May 8, 2014
Well tried to get avira yesterday and it failed, I'm thinking it may be worth paying for kaspersky I think I read they do one
two edits not thinking:( first me pc needs a really good clean up and need to restore sound tried lots but can't get it back

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What kind of PC clean up, hardware or software related? Is your computer running slow, do you have a malware infection? Do you need to uninstall software?

Reactions: knownothing

knownothing

Thread author
May 8, 2014
It's just become very sluggish and because I'm no techie it's probably got years of accumulated junk. Just ran malwarebytes and it's remove two pup thingies and I'm just at a loose end as to why i've lost my sound tried lots of tips from net but failed it was working ok and i used to turn it down to nothing checked all and says this device is working. I'm just a stupid woman with computers :confused:

knownothing

Thread author
May 8, 2014
I run ccleaner daily and malwarbytes almost every other day. WindowsXP. Got rid of micorsoft essential now they no longer support and took off a few other things, slightly better now but must put new antvirus on the one i tried yesterday failed. I think it was Avira.

I

illumination

As Huracan stated, it would help to know Which Operating system you are using, like windows vista, windows 7 ect...

You can depending on system, click the start/search button and type "Device Manager" into it, once you pull up the device manager, look for "sound,Video and Game Controllers", click the "Plus Sign" next to it, and it will drop down a list of drivers, your sound driver will be in this list, it will be something like "realtech high definition audio" ect.. Is there an exclamation mark next to the driver?If not you can left click the driver once, then right click it and chose "properties" inside properties, it will tell you if the "device is functioning properly"

This would be the first place to check for an issue with your sound.

Once you know your system is clean and free from malware and have the issues settled, we can show you how to stream line the restore points and defrag for optimal speed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.