Congratulations!!! You won £2m pounds: SMS 419 Scams

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
F-Secure Labs calls a phone number being used by advance fee fraud (419) scammers. See: http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/27783085190/4

Uploaded by fslabs on Jul 4, 2011

Read full story

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
Congratulations!!! You won £2m pounds.
I can't believe that there are people who will get tricked with this old scheme.Didn't they found it a little suspicious that they received an SMS and not a phone call.
This reminded me of a little joke that I know:

Sam was in dire trouble. His business had gone bust and he was in serious financial trouble. He was so desperate he decided to pray for help.

He began, ‘God, please help me. I've lost my business and if I don't get some money, I'm going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the lottery.’ Lottery night came and Sam didn’t win.

Again Sam prays, ‘God, please let me win the lottery! I've lost my business, my house and I'm going to lose my car as well.’ Lotto night comes and Sam still has no luck.

Once again, he prays, ‘My God, why have you forsaken me?? I've lost my business, my house, and my car. My wife and children are starving. I don't often ask you for help and I have always been a good servant to you. PLEASE just let me win the lottery this one time so I can get my life back in order.’

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the heavens open. Sam is confronted by the voice of God Himself: ‘Sam,’ says God, ‘meet Me halfway on this. Buy a bloody ticket.’

The basic idea of this joke is that : YOU CAN'T WIN AT THE LOTTERY IF YOU DIDN'T BOUGHT A TICKET. :p

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I remember being fooled by one of these scams once, although it was different, it was on a website in an ad saying I'm the 19 milli-something visitor and that I won. It actually was some very scammish looking lottery site, which after all these years (that happened when I was a little kid) they STILL send emails on my moms email account.

D

Deleted member 178

In France this old trick was used by a newspaper/magazine distributor to gain new customers... many people was informed they may win the jackpot if they reply to the letter and augment their chances if they subscribe to one or more newspaper.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
YOU CAN'T WIN AT THE LOTTERY IF YOU DIDN'T BOUGHT A TICKET.

Exactly... people lack common sense.

In Australia at the moment there are fake Telstra (ISP/Phone company) representatives going door knocking trying to get you to hand over personal details, bank accounts, credit card numbers etc in order to get a "faster internet speed" or "cheaper, good deal".

He was a short Indian man with exactly matching Telstra staff uniform and car with Telstra trademark on it, Convincing. I knew about these scammers and how much it sickens me they actually got the guts to come to your face and try talk money and personal details out of you. One way around this is to ask them for Staff ID and then you can ring up Telstra and ask if its a real worker but I'd rather not waste time, Told him to F-Off.

Another scam here in Aus is calls from "claimed" virus and pc experts saying that your pc is infected and they want you to download and run there remote support software, When they do this they will steal any details they can get and steal software keys. I've had about 4 or 5 of these then I switched to Private number, they stopped.. I can't imagine how many innocent people might have fallen for it..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
These days people must aware for that scam text unless if the person was so exaggerated and forgot that its a scam.

jamesanderson

Aug 29, 2011
Hi,
Thanks for the information and the picture as well. I also receive such e mails and messages on the cell phone every now an then but I know it's all spam and would also advice you all to stay cautious of such frauds.

D

Deleted member 178

who in this world will give money for free to a total stranger... come on...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.