Cons of various AVs

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Indeed but thats kind of thier fault using older hardware
Stop living In 2000 and still use 2GB Ram PC and then complain why Kaspersky or games doesnt run well
Sometimes Its pepole 100% fault.
Frankly, I would still try to use light software even if I had a fast PC.
using a slow PC is not people's fault, you know :)
I'm still using a 1Gb RAM, i3 ancient desktop for my business and we are not willing to change because it's running well with the current setup: highly tweaked avast + appcheck
perhaps we can add and make it 3Gb of RAM
Maybe you should use more agnostic solutions (Bouncer, SRP, whatevs) instead of antivirii. Also saw @cruelsister 's comment (Youtube I think) that Comodo adds no notable impact on a VM with minimum specs.
Until I switched to Avast with some tweaks for months, I concluded that Kaspersky 2017 was nowhere near the speed of Avast :D
Then I thought Avast was the lightest, until I switched to the combos of comodo firewall + Zemana or comodo + secureaplus. I changed my mind
Yeah.
Have you tried Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware's lightness?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@PCGamer You have to remember that there are 3rd world countries out there, even in 2017. Most people of those countries don't have as much money to buy decent computers. 1-2GB RAM, or generally low-spec computers, are still common even to this day to cater people of relatively low-income. Of course, some of these computers/laptops have expandable RAM capability, so people can upgrade their computers' RAM without buying new ones. How I wish there are no more third world countries now! :)

But I get your point. People shouldn't immediately blame the AV for slow computer performance if their computer specs are not good. For these people, they should get AVs designed for low-spec computers, or go sig-less, like that of @_CyberGhosT_'s . :)

As for the cons of AVs, I add the default "default-allow" of most, if not all, AVs. I consider this a con because this protection model is typically defeated by zero-day malware. I recognize the advantage of default allow which is to avoid disturbance of productivity, but this comes with a price of weaker zero-day malware protection. Default-deny greatly solves this problem, which, sadly, is not the default protection model of today's AVs. The good thing, though, is that some AVs have the option to have default-deny. :)

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
@PCGamer You have to remember that there are 3rd world countries out there, even in 2017. Most people of those countries don't have as much money to buy decent computers. 1-2GB RAM, or generally low-spec computers, are still common even to this day to cater people of relatively low-income. Of course, some of these computers/laptops have expandable RAM capability, so people can upgrade their computers' RAM without buying new ones. How I wish there are no more third world countries now! :)

But I get your point. People shouldn't immediately blame the AV for slow computer performance if their computer specs are not good. For these people, they should get AVs designed for low-spec computers, or go sig-less, like that of @_CyberGhosT_'s . :)

As for the cons of AVs, I add the default "default-allow" of most, if not all, AVs. I consider this a con because this protection model is typically defeated by zero-day malware. I recognize the advantage of default allow which is to avoid disturbance of productivity, but this comes with a price of weaker zero-day malware protection. Default-deny greatly solves this problem, which, sadly, is not the default protection model of today's AVs. The good thing, though, is that some AVs have the option to have default-deny. :)
I Remember the 3rd countries
But as you said they can upgrade the RAM And maybe thier computer will be good.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I have to use free versions because I don't have a budget for AVs.

I used the early version of Bitdefender but wanted something with more features. I then switched to TS 360, but after a few weeks it started to slow down the system (several windows freezing momentarily every few hours). From there, I tried Panda, and although there was some improvement, slowdowns still took place. I then tried Avira and Avast, but I could not disable the ads. I was thinking of sticking to the built-in Windows AV until finally deciding to use the new version of Bitdefender. I know registration is required, but it's only done once.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
I have to use free versions because I don't have a budget for AVs.

I used the early version of Bitdefender but wanted something with more features. I then switched to TS 360, but after a few weeks it started to slow down the system (several windows freezing momentarily every few hours). From there, I tried Panda, and although there was some improvement, slowdowns still took place. I then tried Avira and Avast, but I could not disable the ads. I was thinking of sticking to the built-in Windows AV until finally deciding to use the new version of Bitdefender. I know registration is required, but it's only done once.
Hey bro you can Buy Kaspersky for 1 Year on ebay Its real And Legit.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Maybe you should use more agnostic solutions (Bouncer, SRP, whatevs) instead of antivirii. Also saw @cruelsister 's comment (Youtube I think) that Comodo adds no notable impact on a VM with minimum specs.

Yeah.
Have you tried Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware's lightness?
1/ I can't use that setup for my family because they can just open chrome, word, excels and perform easy stuffs, they can't handle that. Now I'm using CF for myself, which is very light. However, I don't trust sig-less solutions 100%. I need something that can tell me how safe how bad the file is
2/ yes I have tried KARW, it's very light but it's a bit slower than zemana and SAP. These 2 perform more consistently than KART

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
1/ I can't use that setup for my family because they can just open chrome, word, excels and perform easy stuffs, they can't handle that. Now I'm using CF for myself, which is very light. However, I don't trust sig-less solutions 100%. I need something that can tell me how safe how bad the file is
2/ yes I have tried KARW, it's very light but it's a bit slower than zemana and SAP. These 2 perform more consistently than KART
What about VoodooShield's lightness?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What about VoodooShield's lightness?
yes, very light too but not as light as comodo + zemana (lightest combo I have ever tried). VS in autopilot mode is a bit slow if 1 app using lots of CMD commands (a few disk cleaners, repair tools)
I love VS but I'm tired of clicking Allow/Deny everyday even in autopilot mode

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@PCGamerHow I wish there are no more third world countries now! :)
Third world countries will still be called third world countries regardless of the progress because it's relative. Not a good wish. You might drag first world countries to the third world's level.
@PCGamerBut I get your point. People shouldn't immediately blame the AV for slow computer performance if their computer specs are not good. For these people, they should get AVs designed for low-spec computers, or go sig-less, like that of @_CyberGhosT_'s . :)
Or for more accuracy and speed, ask people with slow computers.
@PCGamerAs for the cons of AVs, I add the default "default-allow" of most, if not all, AVs. I consider this a con because this protection model is typically defeated by zero-day malware. I recognize the advantage of default allow which is to avoid disturbance of productivity, but this comes with a price of weaker zero-day malware protection. Default-deny greatly solves this problem, which, sadly, is not the default protection model of today's AVs. The good thing, though, is that some AVs have the option to have default-deny. :)
Maybe for good reason relative to the audience. They're still doing it after all and numerous exists 'till now showing that it is successful to a degree and are unlikely to change in the future (unless maybe Windows Defender). Even with the scare tactics they prefer the usability aspect by default rather than block everything to cure the scare.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Third world countries will still be called third world countries regardless of the progress because it's relative. Not a good wish. You might drag first world countries to the third world's level.
How about dragging the third world countries to the first world countries' level. :D Anyway, what I meant is that there should be no more poverty. But of course, I absolutely know that this is impossible. We're living in a real world, not utopia. :D

It's a wish, by the way, so it's not "not a good wish". We can wish wars won't ever happen, but we know they will, eventually.

Or for more accuracy and speed, ask people with slow computers.
Me. :D I have 7 years old netbook that runs like a snail. :D But, fortunately, this is not my primary laptop. It's just there for backup purposes, that is, in case something bad happens to my current laptop, I have another one to download, research, etc. for my laptop.

Maybe for good reason relative to the audience. They're still doing it after all and numerous exists 'till now showing that it is successful to a degree and are unlikely to change in the future (unless maybe Windows Defender). Even with the scare tactics they prefer the usability aspect by default rather than block everything to cure the scare.
Yes, I agree. Most home users would flare up if their AVs with default-deny model block things, legitimate, unknown, or malicious. For them, it's better for the AVs to stay silent and only show if threats are recognized.

But like I said, this comes with a price of a weaker zero-day protection. Zero-day malware, generally, defeats default-allow model.

Nevertheless, encountering a zero-day malware is slim for most users. But being infected is still possible. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.