_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Not always, it's sometimes what the company do or say that can be a problem. Being away from traditional Antivirus Software, you may find an issue with your current security vendor.
Yeah, I have to agree with on that point, just look at how I feel about SurfRight
with all their BS going on right now.
Good Point Spawn. ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
ok I will take a look :) has this also something to do with sophos taking over the company?
This isn't the thread for these questions, but some speculate that yes it is Sophos causing some issues, others speculate that SurfRight is loosing it's grip. Either way their approach is hurting them, and Erik and Mark's silence isn't helping at all.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
ok thanks , sorry for hijacking this thread. ;) I do not aggree on the remark of the op that symantec's customer support is mediocre. have had contact with them several times via live chat for clearing some problems.....very helpful and patient people , aslo very knowledgeable! if we are talking about bad customer support lets talk about AVG! most of the customer support wo are working there do noteven know what the heck they are talking about and only reffer to online guides.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

*16. Norton - Customer service, low resources but still manages to slow down system. Static detection is bad.

May i disagree here? I'm an ex Norton Security Standard user for over an year or more and i must say Customer Service was one of their strength points. Response via e-mail, or any social network was almost instant and very efficient, wouln't drop the case until it was resolved. Along with VoodooShield, one of the best customer services i've experienced.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Trickster- it has everything to do with Sophos taking Surfright out. When Surfright was private, they (I think they had about a dozen employees) had a vested interest in fixing things as problems were pointed out, especially recently as they were actively shopping the company around. When Sophos bought out SurfRight (for about 33 million USD) development was no longer their problem.

The CEO of SurfRight (Mark L) was given what amounts to a transitional appointment to the Enduser and Network Security Group of Sophos (under Dan Schiappa), and any future product development of former SurfRight products are now in other hands. In the past any evidence of deficiency was handled in the most expeditious manner possible. Case in point- whenever I published a breach video in the past there was a beta build addressing it with days; however the flaws pointed out for build 588 three weeks ago still have not been addressed. Obviously the former instance of product improvement by SurfRight is not shared by the current Masters.

But let's call a Spade a Spade- whenever someone comes out with a good idea for a product the end goal for the original developers is to sell the company and become rich. Once that goal is achieved the needs of those who made the product popular is no longer an overriding priority.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Trickster- it has everything to do with Sophos taking Surfright out. When Surfright was private, they (I think they had about a dozen employees) had a vested interest in fixing things as problems were pointed out, especially recently as they were actively shopping the company around. When Sophos bought out SurfRight (for about 33 million USD) development was no longer their problem.

The CEO of SurfRight (Mark L) was given what amounts to a transitional appointment to the Enduser and Network Security Group of Sophos (under Dan Schiappa), and any future product development of former SurfRight products are now in other hands. In the past any evidence of deficiency was handled in the most expeditious manner possible. Case in point- whenever I published a breach video in the past there was a beta build addressing it with days; however the flaws pointed out for build 588 three weeks ago still have not been addressed. Obviously the former instance of product improvement by SurfRight is not shared by the current Masters.
But let's call a Spade a Spade- whenever someone comes out with a good idea for a product the end goal for the original developers is to sell the company and become rich. Once that goal is achieved the needs of those who made the product popular is no longer an overriding priority.
Well put Sis, some of us see this, but are reluctant to write it, maybe in denial a bit fearing writing it down
could somehow make it a reality. I know it's rediculous but you get the point.
Thanks for your blatant honesty ;)

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
AVG is now a rebrand version of Avast with Zen, a different setting UI and a lack of Hardened Mode. They are identical in all other aspects

I want to add something:
- Panda: extremely/unbearably slow scanning speed, relatively low detection rate, heavily depends on the cloud
- Norton: Automatic actions after a context scan without user interactions, sometimes can't remove a simple file which can be easily deleted in Windows Explorer, very slow scanning speed because it seems to submit everything to the cloud, Download insight produces so many false positives especially new safe files due to their reputations
- Avira Pro has a better cloud implementation than Avira free. More files are uploaded to Avira cloud so much high detection rate
- Avast: slow scanning speed compared to the version a few years ago, which was one of the fastest I have ever seen
- ESET: not so good zero-day prevention, HIPS needs to be properly configured in order to work. Otherwise, poor
- Qihoo: delayed signatures, questionable against non-ransomware malwares. I have seen it missing so many malwares with high VT detection ratios
- Microsoft: slow scanning speed, detection rate varies, impacts system performance in unpredicted fashions
I just bought a license for Avast Premier today. After installing and using the tweaks shown by Spawn, I did a full scan. It took about 20 minutes, which to me isn't to bad for a very first scan, and I could browse with Chrome while it was scanning with no slow downs.

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
Being a native avast user here is some problems with it:

1)I don't mind the ads inside the UI,its not something you need to exit out of.I don't like the ad popups but atleast they are not those full screen ads like avira does.

2)Inconsistent result at AV-C.For some reason they are never consistent at AVC.They do well at everything else but they are inconsistent at AV-C tests.

3)PUP disabled by default.Can't explain how many times i see people having Avast have a ton of PUp's just because it's detection is disabled by default.

4)Sometimes Bad updates but atleast they get fixed quick but avast has lost quite a bit of users due to serious FP's.Hopefully this will not happen again anytime soon.

5)Rushed Beta's.Avast has had a history of buggy releases of v9 and v8.Off late this seems to have been under control.

6)Behaviour shield never ever did it's job until 2017 after buying of AVG.It seems they just didn't know how to make it detect stuff before.But atleast now IDP works in our favour making avast a far better product against unknown threats.

7)Fanboyish people on avast forums.i have to say the one thing i dont like is there are a few people there who think they have all the answers and what they say is like gold. it never used to be run like that. and many times i disagree with certain things but if you say that then everyone jumps all over you. just kind of sucks. like u have to agree with them or you are wrong. never used to be that way.I won't take names here but this is just my personal experience with it and there are few more people who I know shares this experience.

Overall avast is currently a strong contender in the AV Industry right now with really good detection technologies and BB.But this surely doesn't change my problems with it.

Thanks guys,
True Indian(Orion)

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I just bought a license for Avast Premier today. After installing and using the tweaks shown by Spawn, I did a full scan. It took about 20 minutes, which to me isn't to bad for a very first scan, and I could browse with Chrome while it was scanning with no slow downs.
avast doesn't use too much resource while scanning so the scanning speed is slow
if you scan a folder with hundreds of malwares, you will see how slow it is
I never use avast to scan my PC. I rather use zemana + HMP + NPE, 3 apps for the same amount of time, can be faster even

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Great post! I haven't used AV on my PC for about 2yrs now. When I decided to stop using third party AV altogether I thought I must be mad but it's the best decision I ever made. Better performance, no nagware to register/upgrade to the paid version, no bloat etc.

I'm happy without AV thank you very much!

Reactions: askmark

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Cyber- don't mean to hijack this thread, but wanted to point out something I always found hilarious- From the Press Release from Sophos on Dec 14, 2015 (announcing the acquisition of SurfRight): "Sophos will continue development and support for SurfRight’s existing product line including its popular HitmanPro malware scanning and removal tools, used by more than 20 million users worldwide".

Now, as we know HMP is only of use if it can remove malware, and for this function to work it has to be in Paid mode. Now let's assume only 25% of the 20 million users paid for the product and were charged the current price of 25USD. That would be 5 million x $25 = 125 million USD annually. Yet Sophos paid only 33 million (actually 31.8 million) for the entire company!

Always made me giggle...

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Cyber- don't mean to hijack this thread, but wanted to point out something I always found hilarious- From the Press Release from Sophos on Dec 14, 2015 (announcing the acquisition of SurfRight): "Sophos will continue development and support for SurfRight’s existing product line including its popular HitmanPro malware scanning and removal tools, used by more than 20 million users worldwide".

Now, as we know HMP is only of use if it can remove malware, and for this function to work it has to be in Paid mode. Now let's assume only 25% of the 20 million users paid for the product and were charged the current price of 25USD. That would be 5 million x $25 = 125 million USD annually. Yet Sophos paid only 33 million (actually 31.8 million) for the entire company!

Always made me giggle...
Ehm free 30 days?

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Thanks for sharing, very interesting.]

May i disagree here? I'm an ex Norton Security Standard user for over an year or more and i must say Customer Service was one of their strength points. Response via e-mail, or any social network was almost instant and very efficient, wouln't drop the case until it was resolved. Along with VoodooShield, one of the best customer services i've experienced.[/QUOTE

Basically a few years ago when I was computer dumb I got hit with a computer locker on 8.1 windows

Upon contacting Norton I still had 10 days left on my yearly PAID subscription

They kept telling me to boot into safe mode using Windows 7 instructions. That don't fly on 8.1

After that didn't work and I still couldn't boot into my computer, they start trying to get me to go ahead and renew my subscription.

This clown starts telling me if renew my subscription that is still ACTIVE!!! then they can fix the problem.

So now I'm mad and I explain to them they let my computer get infected and they are refusing to fix it unless I renew and that I'm certainly not going to give them more money.

Fast forward 24hrs: I've already disposed of and destroyed the infected machine [again didn't know anything about computers, and didn't want to pay to take it somewhere] and went to Walmart and purchased a new computer. I thought if Norton can't fix it, I will never be able to.

As soon as I get home from Walmart with new $230 dollar laptop, Norton calls me and says they will now fix the problem.

I just told the them TOO LATE!!!! and hung up on him.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

May i disagree here? I'm an ex Norton Security Standard user for over an year or more and i must say Customer Service was one of their strength points. Response via e-mail, or any social network was almost instant and very efficient, wouln't drop the case until it was resolved. Along with VoodooShield, one of the best customer services i've experienced.
Basically a few years ago when I was computer dumb I got hit with a computer locker on 8.1 windows

Upon contacting Norton I still had 10 days left on my yearly PAID subscription

They kept telling me to boot into safe mode using Windows 7 instructions. That don't fly on 8.1

After that didn't work and I still couldn't boot into my computer, they start trying to get me to go ahead and renew my subscription.

This clown starts telling me if renew my subscription that is still ACTIVE!!! then they can fix the problem.

So now I'm mad and I explain to them they let my computer get infected and they are refusing to fix it unless I renew and that I'm certainly not going to give them more money.

Fast forward 24hrs: I've already disposed of and destroyed the infected machine [again didn't know anything about computers, and didn't want to pay to take it somewhere] and went to Walmart and purchased a new computer. I thought if Norton can't fix it, I will never be able to.

As soon as I get home from Walmart with new $230 dollar laptop, Norton calls me and says they will now fix the problem.

I just told the them TOO LATE!!!! and hung up on him.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.