Coordinated attacks on reddit targeted with Pro-Trump messages

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Multiple Reddit subreddits have been compromised by hackers that are posting messages and images promoting U.S. President Donald Trump’s re-election. A post by Reddit Admin details the attacks, noting that the incident involves the compromise of moderator accounts.

The firm is working to lock down accounts of bad actors and “reverting the changes”, and is also investigating the breach.
The firm confirms that all accounts that were impacted did not have 2FA enabled, which made it easier for hackers to get through.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Another reminder to use 2FA/MFA. Though I get fed up with handing out more of my data (i.e. phone number) to yet more sites when they shouldn't need them for any other reason, which opens us all up to more possible leaks of our personal data.

Another article on the same Reddit issue -

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

And here a German article about:

And also a Reddit moderator say:
Ongoing incident with compromised mod accounts

There is an ongoing incident with moderator accounts being compromised and used to vandalize subreddits. We’re working on locking down the bad actors and reverting the changes.

If your subreddit has been affected:

• Please note the subreddit in the sticky comment below.
  • To make it easy for us to pull and parse the list, please just write the subreddit name (“r/name”) without any commentary.
  • If you were removed as a mod, please sit tight: We will be adding mods back, but it’s not our first priority.
If your account was compromised and locked down:

• Restoring access to accounts will be a later stage of this process. We will help you restore it later in the process.
If you’re worried about your account:

• Look for signs of a compromise:
    • You received email notification that the password and/or email address on your account changed but you didn’t request changes
    • You notice authorized apps on your profile that you don’t recognize
    • You notice unusual IP history on your account activity page
    • You see votes, posts, comments, or moderation actions that you don’t remember making, or private messages that you don’t remember sending
  • For the love of Snoo, make sure you have two-factor authentication enabled. Encourage the rest of your mod team to do the same.
  • Change your password.

Checking account activity is always a good idea. Not specially on Reddit but on all sites. 2FA is of course important too.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Oh, I wonder who is hacking to promote President Orange Hair? I simply can't imagine!!! ;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

Probably the same organization working secretly with Facebook in the past to make Trump wins the election.

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: Stopspying

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.