Privacy News CopyCat Malware Infected 14M Android Devices, Rooted 8M, in 2016

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
A family of Android malware was so successful that at its peak, over the course of two months last year, it infected 14 million devices and rooted more than half of them, roughly eight million devices.

Researchers said early Tuesday the strain of malware, dubbed CopyCat, helped its authors earn $1.5 million – primarily through ad fraud – from April to May 2016.

Researchers with Check Point’s Mobile Research Team, who found the malware in March this year, claim CopyCat mostly infected Android users in Southeast Asia, but that upwards to 280,000 U.S. Android users were also infected. According researchers, Asia accounted for 55 percent of CopyCat infections. Africa, at 18 percent, accounted for the second highest number of infected devices.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Right, and as cheap as Apps are on the playstore, I have not one ounce of pitty if they
get infected because they decide to steal rather than be honest.
I can understand if its the students without bank account pirating apps. But they're not the only ones. I too don't feel bad for others. Unlike desktop software, Android apps are really cheap. And you won't need many because of all those good free ones available.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
majority of people do not know even the word open source .so can not blame all of them when price is multiple by the ratio between dollar and local currency
for example in the price of MS Office I can buy a low end laptop in my country

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Considering the fact where Android security enhancements are purely mediocre therefore any malicious programs that integrated with deadly attacks is just as easy for another round of million in statistics.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.