Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
ISO files for Windows 10 build 15063 (rumored to be the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) build) recently appeared on Microsoft’s servers and there are two ways to go about the installation process.

As The Verge notes, you can grab the ISO files (in your choice of 32-bit or 64-bit flavors), mount them using Windows 10’s File Explorer and run the setup.exe file to upgrade to the Creators Update.

Optionally, as Neowin outlines, you can pick up a new version of the Windows 10 Update Assistant and use it to update to build 15063. Be warned, however, that if you have the previous version of the Assistant tool on a PC running the Anniversary Update (or an earlier version of Windows 10), it’ll tell you that your device is up-to-date and leave it at that.

Microsoft as of writing has not revealed when it plans to officially roll out the Creators Update to the general public (it hit the Windows Insider fast and slow rings last week). Although this appears to be the final RTM build, it’s always possible that Microsoft could squeeze in a last-minute bug fix or two between now and the public launch which most expect will take place on April 11 (Patch Tuesday).

Via Techspot

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks @BoraMurdar, I plan the upgrade in the next few days.
Also, reading about those who have already installed it: the update file weighs about 3 GB, and at the end of the installation you will be prompted to restart the computer to complete the installation and setup. The download time depends very much on the speed of your line, while the actual installation is in about forty minutes, but even here very much depends on the power of the computer.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@Winter Soldier
I never upgrade. :) Only when Microsoft offered the free upgrade from Windows 7 (and 8, 8.1) to Windows 10, and from then every bigger update I've done by clean install as Windows bound activation to my hardware. Upgrade process from within Windows just takes too much time. The download was at the full speed, and installation took ~10min. I will wait for a few days and then I'll image my system partition.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
@Winter Soldier
I never upgrade. :) Only when Microsoft offered the free upgrade from Windows 7 (and 8, 8.1) to Windows 10, and from then every bigger update I've done by clean install as Windows bound activation to my hardware. Upgrade process from within Windows just takes too much time. The download was at the full speed, and installation took ~10min. I will wait for a few days and then I'll image my system partition.
Uhm.. I agree, you're right, at this point it is definitely better a clean installation ;)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
@Winter Soldier

I'm terrified to upgrade my clients, but i have no choice at one point. Besides the actual upgrade time, it sometimes fails, and when it does, it rolls back to "the previous version" automatically which takes at least as much time as the upgrade. Not to mention the garbage it leaves behind if the upgrade is successful (and the cleanup).

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Anyone know when the update through Windows Update feature will be available?
Microsoft as of writing has not revealed when it plans to officially roll out the Creators Update to the general public (it hit the Windows Insider fast and slow rings last week). Although this appears to be the final RTM build, it’s always possible that Microsoft could squeeze in a last-minute bug fix or two between now and the public launch which most expect will take place on April 11 (Patch Tuesday).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Has anyone tried Creators update?
Is it worthwhile to install it now, or better to wait, and let others fight off the bugs?

Maxxx58

Level 13
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
I tried to update via Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant. This apps showed the Creators Update, then I download and restart to install the update. But when it finished, no thing happened? The version of my Windows 10 is still Anniversary Update, I don't know why? It took me over 1 hour to finish all processes!

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
but all my reg tweaks
I think you can create a batch file to execute all the reg changes at once...
my disabled services (i can't find a free tool to export/import them properly)
Did you try Services_Start_State_Backup.bat (extract from downloaded Services_Start_State_Backup.zip)

Run the batch script to generate to services start state backup script. The generated backup batch script file will have the name in the form of Services_Day_DD_MM_YYYY_HH_MM.bat to avoid any accidental overwrite when the user does multiple export or backup.
As and when the Startup Type state of all services in Windows requires to be restored and reset back to its earlier working state or value, simply run the generated .bat script on the time and date wanted. Note that when restoring, the batch script must be run as administrator in full priority elevation mode.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@BoraMurdar Not the second one. thanks, will investigate it.
This one is tested under Windows 10, it should work
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/oct08/services_conf_backup.zip
Antivirus scan for 0a18af3c67b0d82b852eea9a31aea933e4aa8bd6aa8d48d020e48e749ea44d31 at 2017-03-29 09:52:28 UTC - VirusTotal

or

Code:
@echo.
@echo This script will backup all services with current state of Startup Type
@echo.
pause

REM Get current date and time
for /f "tokens=1, 2, 3, 4 delims=-/. " %%j in ('Date /T') do set FILENAME=Services_%%j_%%k_%%l_%%m
for /f "tokens=1, 2 delims=: " %%j in ('TIME /T') do set FILENAME=%FILENAME%_%%j_%%k.bat

REM Get all service name
sc query type= service state= all| findstr /r /C:"SERVICE_NAME:" >tmpsrv.txt
echo Saving Service Start State In %FILENAME% ...

REM save service start state into batch file
echo @echo Restore The Service Start State Saved At %TIME% %DATE% >"%FILENAME%"
echo @pause >>"%FILENAME%"

for /f "tokens=2 delims=:" %%j in (tmpsrv.txt) do @( sc qc %%j |findstr  START_TYPE >tmpstype.txt &&  for /f "tokens=4 delims=:_ " %%s in (tmpstype.txt) do @echo sc config  %%j start= %%s >>"%FILENAME%")
echo @pause >>"%FILENAME%"

del tmpsrv.txt
del tmpstype.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.