Credit Card Information of Millions of Newegg Customers Stolen Since August 13

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
credit-card-information-of-millions-of-newegg-customers-stolen-since-august-13-522782.png
Magecart, the hacking group behind the British Airways hack, managed to infiltrate the website of online US retailer Newegg and stole credit card information using a skimmer as reported by a joint analysis from Volexity and RiskIQ.

The last time when Magecart was in the news they were the threat group who designed and breached the British Airways website and mobile application, and left the scene with a bounty of sensitive data from 380,000 victims.

This time the damage inflicted after hacking into Newegg's website and running a credit card skimming operation from August 14 until September 18 and affecting all customers who entered their payment data, is probably of an entirely different magnitude.

Considering that Newegg has more than 40 million shoppers visiting th... (read more)

Read more: Credit Card Information of Millions of Newegg Customers Stolen Since August 13

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
I just recently purchased an SSD from newegg.ca a few days ago using PayPal. Would this only affect people who manually put in their credit card details?

Last edited:
Reactions: Al-Faqir

Like I keep saying, despite how much you protect your local system... once you put your data out there, it is not protected. The greatest IT security risk is not your system, but the systems upon which your data resides.

On the forums, all the focus is on creating a multi-layered, impenetrable fortress configuration that does absolutely nothing to protect your data sitting on 3rd-party systems.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Like I keep saying, despite how much you protect your local system... once you put your data out there, it is not protected. The greatest IT security risk is not your system, but the systems upon which your data resides.

Especially govt. systems. Anyone that thinks they know how to protect your data is smokin'.

On the forums, all the focus is on creating a multi-layered, impenetrable fortress configuration that does absolutely nothing to protect your data sitting on 3rd-party systems.

That, and also how people go to tremendous lengths to secure their windows desktop, but then put all of their accounts, credentials and logins on their mobile phone.. :ROFLMAO:

Especially govt. systems. Anyone that thinks they know how to protect your data is smokin'.

That, and also how people go to tremendous lengths to secure their windows desktop, but then put all of their accounts, credentials and logins on their mobile phone.. :ROFLMAO:

There was once a person on MT (or maybe over at Wilders... somewhere around, I can't remember specifically) that was angry that they had this super, multi-layered, impenetrable fortress config on their system, but their bank account still got wiped-out. They couldn't grasp the concept that their PC's security doesn't protect their data on other systems.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

They couldn't grasp the concept that their PC's security doesn't protect their data on other systems.

giphy.gif

:ROFLMAO:

On a serious note I agree. The vast majority if not all data breaches has not been due to the security or lack there of the users PC, its usually because of data breaches involving 3rd parties like Newegg.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.