CrowdStrike raises $30 million to track hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
crowdstrike-logo-200px-200x200.jpg

CrowdStrike, the Irvine, Calif.-based security company known for its work tracking hackers across the globe, announced today that it has raised $30 million.

The company plans to use the financing to continue development of its technology and further expansion of its sales team. Amazingly, it was founded in only 2011, by McAfee veterans Kurtz, Dmitri Alperovitch and Gregg Marston.

Source

• Thanks
Reactions: dinosaur07

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
For CrowdInspect, host-based FREE tool witch detects untrusted network-active processes - look on our topic: CrowdInspect 1.0 : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CrowdInspect-1-0

Latest version is v1.0.0.1
The tool runs on both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows from XP and above.
CrowdInspect is a free community tool for Microsoft Windows systems that is aimed to help alert you to the presence of potential malware on your computer that may be communicating over the network.

-----------------------------

Look tooo at another tool: TORTILLA.

Tortilla is too FREE tool. Anonymous Security Research through Tor

Tortilla is an open source tool that allows users to securely, anonymously, and transparently route all TCP/IP and DNS traffic through Tor, regardless of the client software, and without relying on VPNs or additional hardware or virtual machines.

Supported Operating Systems: The tool runs on 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows from XP and above.

Link for Tortilla (and other free tools) download page: Community Tools index: http://www.crowdstrike.com/community-tools/index.html

Enjoy!

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
@Prorootect
Mersi for the tool & info.I am looking into snort & ossec these days but i think they all for companies or organization as they work like NIPS :( .I don't know how they work but it is intersting to me to know how they work.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
MalwareVirus said:
@Prorootect
Mersi for the tool & info.I am looking into snort & ossec these days but i think they all for companies or organization as they work like NIPS :( .I don't know how they work but it is intersting to me to know how they work.

Interesting read I think, by Dmitri Alperovitch, CTO of CrowdStrike:

Active Defense: Time for a New Security Strategy : http://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/active-defense-time-new-security-strategy/index.html

.. The reality is that existing security solutions merely focus on improving detection rates and attempting to swat away adversary intrusions, instead of fundamentally raising the cost and risk to the attackers. Basic probability theory tells us that even if these solutions are able to achieve an effectiveness rate of 99%, all that means is that a persistent attacker has to attempt to compromise the network just 250 times before he has an over 90% chance of success. ..

.. Active Defense is NOT about “hack-back”, retaliation, or vigilantism. At CrowdStrike, we are fundamentally against these tactics and believe they can be counterproductive, as well as potentially illegal. Instead, an effective Active Defense strategy needs to focus on all 4 of the following key elements:

Real-time detection of adversary intrusion attempts into our systems and networks that focuses on identifying their unique tradecraft and essential mission objectives, as opposed to easily changeable indicators of compromise
Attribution of threat actors in order to understand their identities, intent, and mission objectives - both of the intruders themselves, as well as of those who may be tasking them to steal or receive stolen intellectual property
Flexibility of response actions that include traditional passive defense options such as prevention and alerting, but also deception, containment, tying up adversary resources, and creating doubt and confusion while denying them the benefits of their operations. This furthers the goal of increasing attacker's costs and empowers defenders to collect additional intelligence on the adversaries and their tradecraft, while simultaneously preventing damage to their networks
Intelligence dissemination to facilitate corrective and deterrent action. This can include real-time information sharing designed to deny the adversary the use of their tradecraft, not just specific tools, against a wide range of victims. This also enables joint action with other industry partners and government agencies to employ civil litigation, trade sanctions, and criminal prosecution tools against the threat actors
We agree with the US government that the time for passive countermeasures has long passed and it is necessary to engage in a new Active Defense strategy, aimed squarely at the determined adversaries that we currently face.

That’s why today we’re announcing the launch of CrowdStrike Falcon, a Big Data Active Defense platform that is the technology implementation of an Active Defense strategy. It is in private beta, and will be available soon to enterprises and government agencies to enable them to effectively deal with the targeted attack problem.

For the past 15 months, our incredible team of world-class architects and engineers, who have joined CrowdStrike from companies as varied as Apple, Amazon, Google, VMware, Microsoft, and Blizzard, to name just a few, have been hard at work designing and building this radically new security model. ..

----------------------------------------------

Black Hat 2013: 14 Security Firms That Piqued Hackers' Interest : http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/security/240159456/black-hat-2013-14-security-firms-that-piqued-hackers-interest.htm?pgno=2

HUNT or BE HUNTED: http://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/hunt-or-be-hunted/index.html

CrowdStrike on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CrowdStrike/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.