App Review CryptoMonitor Free vs Cryptowall 3- An excessively brief test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I tested this program (free version) against CTB Locker and it didn't stop it

ctb locker.jpg

DecrypterFixer

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2015
Hello,

CryptoMonitor will actually stop both of these infections, but only in the PRO version. This wasn't done intentionally, so let me break this down.

CryptoMonitor FREE cannot stop infections that are injected into legitimate processes, because this involves a lot. So if the Ransomware was a stand alone exe, FREE would stop it easy. A good example of this is CryptoFortress:

Now CryptoMonitor PRO includes my filter driver that allows the application to get deeper into the OS and thus enables more features. It allows my app to stand in between the File system structure and any process and filter calls. That being said, now when a injection process tries to encrypt, it can do more things. A good example of this is CTB-Locker which CryptoMonitor will absolutely stop:

So CryptoMonitor FREE will alert you, and also attempt to kill the infection, but if there is trickery to it, then the more logical PRO is needed for full protection.

By the way, the "weird" files you see are hidden files so most normal users wont see them. But the next update will hide them from explorer all together.

cruelsister, if you would like a 5 day PRO key to do some real testing and feedback, please email me at nscott@EasySyncSolutions.com

Thanks!

P.S. A new update is coming out soon with a new driver. This will introduce a lot of new goodies never before seen in a Anti-Ransomware application. One of which being able to protect a whole network of clients from one server, and the server itself, from ransomware.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,

Is their any slow down with Emsisoft anti malware? And what is the best way to install with Sandboxie and Emsisoft?

Moose

DecrypterFixer

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2015
There are no slow downs with either product, and also no special install instructions for emsisoft. But for sandboxie just make sure you do not download and install it under a sandbox browser, then that's it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.