Advice Request Cryptoprevent...have you tried it? Feedback?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlitend1

Thread author
Dec 11, 2016
I've looked around and haven't seen much info about it. I've been using it as an adjunct piece of software on family member's computers and it's done a great job of eliminating spyware/malware/etc. I'd like to get some feedback on it and how it compares to other things such a Voodooshield or any other similar software. Voodooshield appears to do similar things.

Thanks in advance,

nlitend1

From their website:

CryptoPrevent Malware Prevention

CryptoPrevent is a robust anti-virus/anti-malware software supplement, filling a huge gap that exists with traditional security solutions to provide protection against a growing multitude of new and emerging ransomware and other malicious software threats.

Supported Configurations
CryptoPrevent is designed to peacefully co-exist alongside these other solutions, create no detectable impact in normal system performance, demand no time for maintenance, nor requiring any specialized user knowledge for usage.

CryptoPrevent supports any Windows version (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 – including Windows ‘Home’ editions)

Introduction to CryptoPrevent Malware Prevention
YES, this is the original CryptoLocker prevention tool you’ve read about, designed to prevent infection from the first “ransomware” threat which emerged in late 2013, encrypting valuable data on the infected PC and offering decryption in exchange for large payment. Within a few months of it’s release it created quite a buzz with features from Brian Krebs security blog (among many others) and by educators everywhere such as Kim Komando, Ken Dwight ‘The Virus Doctor’, the infamous Britec09 on Youtube, and ultimately reaching televised news such as CNBC and The Today Show! Read more about the history of CryptoPrevent.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Yes, still using ver 7+. Can't recommend the latest or the beta version though. Never had any encounter of ransomware by CP is good enough to block some low-mid risk trojans and worms.

Reactions: nlitend1

nlitend1

Thread author
Dec 11, 2016
Yes, still using ver 7+. Can't recommend the latest or the beta version though. Never had any encounter of ransomware by CP is good enough to block some low-mid risk trojans and worms.

Thank you everyone for the replies so far. WinXPert.... is there a reason you are useing version 7 over 8?

Also, does anyone know how it works/compares to the other softwares such as Voodooshield? I don't know if CP is rock solid or just adjuct compared to other software. Thanks!

nlitend1

Reactions: WinXPert

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Thank you everyone for the replies so far. WinXPert.... is there a reason you are useing version 7 over 8?

Also, does anyone know how it works/compares to the other softwares such as Voodooshield? I don't know if CP is rock solid or just adjuct compared to other software. Thanks!

nlitend1

Maybe it's the missing start button. lol.

I use CP as a set-it and forget it defense against limited treats as defined by the group policy changes it makes. I use AppCheck for realtime protection. I tested VS too but I opt to use AppCheck. Nothing wrong with VS, it's a great tool too.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I think that Cryptoprevent can better work with max settings active UAC and a Windows standard account.
In this case, if a ransomware variant works out of the default folders, the file's encryption "would" be limited to the folders of the active user, as well as the creation of all the files with the instructions for the ransom, so the admin. confirmation should appear when the ransomware eventually will try to access the shadow copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.