App Review CryptoWall 4 0 Infection- Remediation for Rookies

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
another great video, thats the way (the best way) I recover files from ransomeware for my customers.
some ransomeware disable system restore then it's a big problem, once system restore is disabled all previous versions will be deleted.
xp no previous version
windows 8 its calls file history.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Is WinPatrol really needed? Can't the CCleaner startup section be used to do the same start up entry deletion? What do you think of the Bitdefender Cryptowall Vaccine program? Bitdefender's traditional AV now has "Anti-Ransomware Defense" built in that claims to handle both known and unknown ransomware. What about Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit? Thoughts?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
There are a number of programs that could take the place of WinPatrol in this instance, but I find WP very useful in other areas so I wanted to highlight it (I like Scotty).

I did publish a video on BD AntiRansomware a couple of weeks ago (Nov 9) and wasn't tremendously impressed. It does indeed stop Cryptowall and other ransomware riff-raff, but failed against the more elegantly coded CryptoFortress.

Finally, about MBAE- it's not specific for Ransomware, so it would be poor form to test it against them. However HitManPro Alert against encryptors may be another matter...

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
There are a number of programs that could take the place of WinPatrol in this instance, but I find WP very useful in other areas so I wanted to highlight it (I like Scotty).

I did publish a video on BD AntiRansomware a couple of weeks ago (Nov 9) and wasn't tremendously impressed. It does indeed stop Cryptowall and other ransomware riff-raff, but failed against the more elegantly coded CryptoFortress.

Finally, about MBAE- it's not specific for Ransomware, so it would be poor form to test it against them. However HitManPro Alert against encryptors may be another matter...

Thank you for the reply. So BDAR is better than nothing... it's decent, but not perfect. Maybe CryptoPrevent is the way to go? There are just so many choices it would be nice to know the most complete one for ransomware protection. CryptoFortress is just a copycat of TorrentLocker? If you look at the chart on HitmanPro.Alert 3.0, it looks perfect...

HitmanPro.Alert - SurfRight

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If you must have something to protect Documents then CryptoPrevent is the way to go. HMPA may not be optimal.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Maybe a well configured Comodo Firewall?
Did you have some ideas regarding testing CF against some cryptor and ransom sister?

/W

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.