Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
I'm trying to install the latest Windows Update - Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189866) - however it's stuck at 45%. Restart won't help. Did you had this issue?

upload_2016-9-15_10-11-28.png

Helpful article: Here's how to install balky Windows 10 cumulative patch KB 3189866

Here's how to install balky Windows 10 cumulative patch KB 318986

I'm seeing posts all over the web from folks trying to install the latest Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607) cumulative update. KB 3189866 is supposed to bring Win10 AU to build 14393.187, but reports say the installer gets stuck at 45 percent, 48 percent, 95 percent, and various other points along the way.

The problem's widespread, and Microsoft has known about it since shortly after the patch dropped. Since it's a cumulative update, there's no easy solution.

Microsoft will certainly figure out what's blocking the patch, but in order to fix it the company will have to release a new cumulative update. Unless it can find a magic way to modify a released cumulative update, the only solution is a new cumulative update that absolves the sins of the original. That's one of the big problems with these massive, one-way "as a service" patches. It's also a totally predictable problem, as I've been saying for almost two years.

If you're faced with this issue, be of good cheer: There's an easy solution. Some suggest that you crank up Internet Explorer and download the patch from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Bogdan Poppa at Softpedia has links for the 32- and 64-bit versions of Win10, but they require Internet Explorer and the installation of an ActiveX control.

Read more: Here's how to install balky Windows 10 cumulative patch KB 3189866

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Went well on two machines, smooth as silk on the third machine i had to use the direct download method. Strange how it goes fine on some machines but refuses to install on others, my first hiccup with Windows 10.

NZRADAR

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
My PC still stuck at 45 percent, I have the direct download ready to install at will, but a big part of me would like to see how Microsoft resolve this via there own update mechanisms. Oddly other pc in house updated slowly but successfully, while mine stuck , this is a weird one in my book and curious to know what is the blockage reason.

D

Deleted member 2913

My PC still stuck at 45 percent, I have the direct download ready to install at will, but a big part of me would like to see how Microsoft resolve this via there own update mechanisms. Oddly other pc in house updated slowly but successfully, while mine stuck , this is a weird one in my book and curious to know what is the blockage reason.
Same here...stuck at 45% & I will wait to see how & when MS handles this prob.

Its my first time prob with Windows Updates on Win 10.

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
I just finished installing 4 laptops (Dell, HPs and Lenovo), 2 updated successfully and 2 stuck. One HP stopped at 48% and Lenovo at 53%. Didn't wait for them to finish or do manual cause they are not going in use yet so I'll finish them before giving them to users, hope MS witll fix update by then.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
No problem installing that update whatsoever. Usually when I encounter an update like this, I just download it straight from the Microsoft Download Center and/or the Windows Update Catalog website and install it manually (if it says that the update isn't applicable to the system, I install it using DISM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.