enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
U.S. government officials are adding data from as many as 10,000 electronic devices each year to a massive database they’ve compiled from cellphones, iPads and computers seized from travelers at the country’s airports, seaports and border crossings, leaders of Customs and Border Protection told congressional staff in a briefing this summer.

The rapid expansion of the database and the ability of 2,700 CBP officers to access it without a warrant — two details not previously known about the database — have raised alarms in Congress about what use the government has made of the information, much of which is captured from people not suspected of any crime. CBP officials told congressional staff the data is maintained for 15 years.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I don't know the number of travelers to the US each year but I'm sure it's at least in the 10's of millions so 10,000 doesn't seem as drastic as the headline would imply. Since the twin towers were impaled by passenger jets filled with people they are taking a few liberties with non citizen travelers, it seems prudent overall. No offense pablozi, you're a lifer here at MT's and doing us all a favor posting news, the bombastic media stuff is wearing on me.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

I don't know the number of travelers to the US each year but I'm sure it's at least in the 10's of millions so 10,000 doesn't seem as drastic as the headline would imply. Since the twin towers were impaled by passenger jets filled with people they are taking a few liberties with non citizen travelers, it seems prudent overall. No offense pablozi, you're a lifer here at MT's and doing us all a favor posting news, the bombastic media stuff is wearing on me.
I've learned a long time ago, to take burner phones when travelling to USA.

Is not uncommon to see customs taking your phone for no reason out of your sight, 10k is a quite low number and not accurate considering this happens every day.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I've learned a long time ago, to take burner phones when traveling to USA.

Is not uncommon to see customs taking your phone for no reason out of your sight, 10k is a quite low number and not accurate considering this happens every day.
I 100% agree with this. May not go so far as true burner phones, but encrypted heavily and not use stuff that could be easily hacked or duplicated. However, I do get the thought behind using a phone that is 'new' and only used for travel reasons. I myself haven't done any international travel in some time, but I always keep a phone for work needs vs. personal. Needless to say, keeping things compartmentalized is key for me and for what's required at my job.

This article further drives home the need to have heavy encryption, multiple security measures, and assume everything is out in the open unless you used sophisticated/encrypted applications. This includes communications too!

Reactions: Local Host

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.