CVE-2020-12928 Exploit Proof-of-Concept, Privilege Escalation in AMD Ryzen Master AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Earlier this year I was really focused on Windows exploit development and was working through the FuzzySecurity exploit development tutorials on the HackSysExtremeVulnerableDriver to try and learn and eventually went bug hunting on my own.

I ended up discovering what could be described as a logic bug in the ATI Technologies Inc. driver ‘atillk64.sys’. Being new to the Windows driver bug hunting space, I didn’t realize that this driver had already been analyzed and classified as vulnerable by Jesse Michael and his colleague Mickey in their ‘Screwed Drivers’github repo. It had also been mentioned in several other places that have been pointed out to me since.
So I didn’t really feel like I had discovered my first real bug and decided to hunt similar bugs on Windows 3rd party drivers until I found my own in the AMD Ryzen Master AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys version 15.
I have since stopped looking for these types of bugs as I believe they wouldn’t really help me progress skills wise and my goals have changed since.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.