Security News Cyber criminals now cryptojacking mobile phones!

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Cyber criminals now cryptojacking mobile phones!
straitstimes.com: Cyber criminals now cryptojacking mobile phones
Cyber security experts are warning against the rising threat of cryptojacking on mobile devices.

PUBLISHED
MAR 30, 2018, 5:00 AM SGT

Security experts say infected websites using phones' processors to mine digital currency

Lester Hio
Beware. Your mobile phone might actually be helping cyber criminals mine for cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, even if you were diligent enough not to download suspicious, malware-laden apps.

Cyber security experts are warning against the rising threat of cryptojacking on mobile devices. Cryptojacking occurs when a user visits a website infected with software which then prompts the device to mine for cryptocurrency.

Cyber security companies Symantec and ESET released two reports in March showing an increase in mobile cryptojacking, where hackers slipped code into websites and online ads which then makes use of the phone's processor when a user opens the infected website on the mobile browser.

Symantec's latest Internet Security Threat Report, released on Tuesday, said Singapore ranks sixth as a victim of cryptomining attacks in the Asia-Pacific region, and 25th globally. The report analysed data from 157 countries and territories.
Symantec saw a 34,000 per cent jump in in-browser mining globally last year, when cyber criminals rushed to take advantage of the cryptocurrency craze. Cryptominers were included for the first time in the Symantec report as a cyber security threat, reflecting cryptomining's growing use as another tool in a cyber criminal's arsenal.
"There has been a shift in attack groups away from ransomware - which were behind some of the major attacks last year - to cryptomining," said Mr Sherif El-Nabawi, senior director for systems engineering at Symantec Asia-Pacific.

Unlike cryptomining malware, which requires a user to install an app or software onto their mobile phone, cryptojacking occurs the moment a user browses an infected website on the phone.

This makes it easier to infect many users, said Mr El-Nabawi.
"It's a game of mass - the more you infect, the more money you generate."
One mobile phone or one computer running 24 hours "might generate anything between 1 to 25 cents."
"But if you multiply that by 100,000 infected devices, you get $25,000 overnight," he said.
"This is a problem that won't go away anytime soon," said Mr El-Nabawi, "unless there is a decrease in cryptocurrency values, which is something we don't expect".

An indication of cryptojacking is a mobile phone performing sluggishly and experiencing fast battery drain.

----------------------------------------------------------

Read too very interesting MT topic:
Tricks that Cybercriminals use to Hide in your Phone
Tricks that Cybercriminals use to Hide in your Phone

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
luckily I have an old cell phone that can only phone, I use it to send or receive calls...
...to shuffle the vegetables, I have a special electric device for this purpose.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
My best recommendation to thwart this kind if stuff, is use Firefox for Android, because you can use uBlock origin. Other adblockers may not be as effective. The main reason, is, uBlock is a broad spectrum blocker, that is HIGHLY Customizable. Has great documentation online too. Plus tutorials can be found all over YouTube.

Firefox can be hardened in many other ways too. Using extensions that automatically delete cookies, for instance. Setting up your "quit" button in settings, to clear cache, logins, downloads, and lots more, your choice to select or ignore.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Also Amazon Fire Sticks. We've seen a LOT of FortiGate's blocking coin miner attempts to install on Fire Sticks, an unfortunate development.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.