App Review Cybereason RansomFree Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Cybereason

Level 1
Jan 24, 2017
Hi everyone,
First of all, a new version is out with a few improvements and bugfixes.

Secondly and most importantly, I wrote a blog post especially for all of you :)
Here it is - https://www.cybereason.com/labs-real-life-scenarios-the-way-to-test-ransomware-protection/

The TL;DR is - "when testing anti-ransomware tools, real-world scenarios should be taken into consideration. Otherwise, the tests will not produce the desired results". For example, executing multiple ransomware processes at the same time, or one after the other multiple times, won't really test how well RansomFree protects against ransomware. When testing, you have to think of how the product was designed and what it was designed to stop. It wasn't designed to stop you lovely "testers", but to stop real attacks :)

As always, would be happy to hear your thoughts.
And as always - thank you!

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Interesting comments, but I must take exception to some:

1). When I've done RF videos, I made sure that one ransomware file was not running prior to the next being initiated. So as long as a number of ransomware files are not running concurrently, I fail to see the issue.

2). You seem to accept that in some cases a few Documents can be encrypted prior to the Protection Mechanism being enforced. If those few encrypted files happen to be the most important files one has this could be a problem. Also it makes RF more of a Kinda-Sorta ransomware protective application then a Universal solution (which I am sure that you are striving for). As I'm more of an Absolute Protection girl, I hope you can see my problem with it.

But that being said, I'm sure a test can be constructed meeting your requirements (perhaps this weekend).

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Interesting comments, but I must take exception to some:

1). When I've done RF videos, I made sure that one ransomware file was not running prior to the next being initiated. So as long as a number of ransomware files are not running concurrently, I fail to see the issue.

2). You seem to accept that in some cases a few Documents can be encrypted prior to the Protection Mechanism being enforced. If those few encrypted files happen to be the most important files one has this could be a problem. Also it makes RF more of a Kinda-Sorta ransomware protective application then a Universal solution (which I am sure that you are striving for). As I'm more of an Absolute Protection girl, I hope you can see my problem with it.

But that being said, I'm sure a test can be constructed meeting your requirements (perhaps this weekend).
Well said. But i dont think Cybereason will say something after your post :rolleyes:

Reactions: Der.Reisende

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.