Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Stepping back just a bit, I got invited to the Closed Beta for HMP.A
For now I have put VS to sleep and am testing v3.7.0 704 CTP1 of HMP.A
I will give this a go and see if things are fixed and are better than my last
experience, if so I will at least keep it till my current license is expired, if not
no harm no foul I can uninstall it and wake up VS.
Seeing that it's a closed beta I cant post particulars about HMPA but know it does
look promising. ;)
*My config does reflect the current changes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
experience, if so I will at least keep it till my current license is expired, if not
Seeing that it's a closed beta I cant post particulars about HMPA but know it does
look promising. ;)
*My config does reflect the current changes.
Glad to hear you are giving it another chance.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
HMPA>>>>VS any day any time. Only benefit of VS is being light but other than that they don't even play in the same category let alone level.
Why so? Especially with the following:
I honestly find Zemana even worse than HMPA. I think both products are overrated and created a fair amount of delays in everyday operations.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
HMPA>>>>VS any day any time. Only benefit of VS is being light but other than that they don't even play in the same category let alone level.
Agreed, and I put VS to sleep to eliminate any conflicts, it may not have been necessary but I did.
Off Topic:
As you know I test Beta software on a real world machine not in a Virtual environment as we will employ the software
in real world environments. I can do this because I clone, I think most if not all testers should employ this
testing standard. I can hot swap drives as fast if not faster than most can setup and change a VM.
There are big advantages of testing Beta software in a real world environment, as compared to testing in a VM.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
look promising. ;)
That's awesome! Were you a beta tester for HMPA earlier? Or were you active on Wilders for the topic?

I think using Sophos now, I share some disappointments you've had wrt HMPA.
I haven't tested HMPA standalone earlier (giving Sophos Beta a chance) and I'll wait to see how the product will do when out of the private beta.
I see you've temporarily swapped out DA :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
That's awesome! Were you a beta tester for HMPA earlier? Or were you active on Wilders for the topic?

I think using Sophos now, I share some disappointments you've had wrt HMPA.
I haven't tested HMPA standalone earlier (giving Sophos Beta a chance) and I'll wait to see how the product will do when out of the private beta.
I see you've temporarily swapped out DA :)
No DeepArmor is such a staple for me, that I rarely list it, but at times I will post that it is ever lurking in the background.
It's there, I just don't list it all the time :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is my first Closed beta for Surfright/Sophos
If all goes well I will petition them to be listed as a closed beta tester for them, but one step at a time.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Why so? Especially with the following:
HMPA>VS=Zemana
I hate most software so not a surprise here. Zemana and VS are as bad depending what you do with them.

Agreed, and I put VS to sleep to eliminate any conflicts, it may not have been necessary but I did.
Off Topic:
As you know I test Beta software on a real world machine not in a Virtual environment as we will employ the software
in real world environments. I can do this because I clone, I think most if not all testers should employ this
testing standard. I can hot swap drives as fast if not faster than most can setup and change a VM.
There are big advantages of testing Beta software in a real world environment, as compared to testing in a VM.
Yeah, i am lazy and test in a vm but with full recourses. It's ok though, it's not like i usually switch to the things i test.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Off Topic:
The practice ain't practical for some and require a different set of skills from other alternatives though the skill floor isn't something like using Navier-Stokes Equations or worse!
HMPA>VS=Zemana
I hate most software so not a surprise here. Zemana and VS are as bad depending what you do with them.
Not a surprise. Your cat must've inherited it from you.
But why though.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
VS has matured a lot (and so have my troubleshooting skills). I have actually learned to like VS, despite my numerous harsh comments in the past.
At least at face value, it does not conflict with HMPA 3.7 (closed beta)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
05/23/2017
Removed all security software except for what I am testing (HMP.A)
Main Protection:
DeepArmor 36
VoodooShield 3.59
I was going to do this next week but I had today off, and after chatting with A DeepArmor Rep I decided to take the leap.
Remember I was Sig-less back when it was a fairly new concept, well now my config will consist of mainly AI based Software.
Yes I know VS is not a truly "AI" software but it fits the bill, and DeepArmor is as close as we can get today with it's cognitive approach and has done well on my machine for quite some time. I heard all the naysayers opinions about such software, but as I heard, I watched DeepArmor improve in leaps and bounds, that lil company (Spark Cognition) based out of Texas really hit it out of the park reguardless of the opinions of the critics.
Remember I have always said "it's lurking in the background" where DeepArmor was concerned, well not anymore, it is first and
forefront where it belongs.
AI_AV_SS.png

Barring any security issues it and VoodooShield will be my "go to" solution.
I will finish testing HMP.A seeing I gladly obligated myself and enjoy testing, but after that it will only be VS & DA
I will keep HMP for a "On Demand" scanner, and clone this setup as my default tonight.
As always if I have any issues I will post them here.
PeAcE

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
05/23/2017
Removed all security software except for what I am testing (HMP.A)
Main Protection:
DeepArmor 36
VoodooShield 3.59
I was going to do this next week but I had today off, and after chatting with A DeepArmor Rep I decided to take the leap.
Remember I was Sig-less back when it was a fairly new concept, well now my config will consist of mainly AI based Software.
Yes I know VS is not a truly "AI" software but it fits the bill, and DeepArmor is as close as we can get today with it's cognitive approach and has done well on my machine for quite some time. I heard all the naysayers opinions about such software, but as I heard, I watched DeepArmor improve in leaps and bounds, that lil company (Spark Cognition) based out of Texas really hit it out of the park reguardless of the opinions of the critics.
Remember I have always said "it's lurking in the background" where DeepArmor was concerned, well not anymore, it is first and
forefront where it belongs.
View attachment 151907
Barring any security issues it and VoodooShield will be my "go to" solution.
I will finish testing HMP.A seeing I gladly obligated myself and enjoy testing, but after that it will only be VS & DA
I will keep HMP for a "On Demand" scanner, and clone this setup as my default tonight.
As always if I have any issues I will post them here.
PeAcE
Thanks for update.
What do you say about DA and the very tricky worms that are crawling around these days?
If one endpoint on a network gets infected, can DA protect the rest?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks for update.
What do you say about DA and the very tricky worms that are crawling around these days?
If one endpoint on a network gets infected, can DA protect the rest?
I would Imagine it would not survive Spark Cognitions servers (DeepArmor) for very long.
But not being a total idiot I have VS and as you know it is a solid Computer lock, combined
with my Registry tweaks the worm would be hard pressed to make any headway before I
realized something was amiss. You know me, I am not going into this blindly ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I really like your config bro. Too bad that I cannot test DA :(
I know, I feel ya brother, I don't know what else to do besides telling you to keep emailing them at that address on
their website, as the saying goes, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". If you do eventually get in let me know ;)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I would Imagine it would not survive Spark Cognitions servers (DeepArmor) for very long.
But not being a total idiot I have VS and as you know it is a solid Computer lock, combined
with my Registry tweaks the worm would be hard pressed to make any headway before I
realized something was amiss. You know me, I am not going into this blindly ;)
Smart move! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.