'Cyberpunk 2077' runs so terribly on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One that its creator is offering refunds

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Well honestly I think it was making their PS5 machine look bad. It's a new hardware and it was supposed to be the beast and something that everyone would want for xmass.
People don't understand what optimized for PC and optimized for console means....people will look at the supposed best console and see it not run the game as well as a PC and ask themselves why would they want to purchase it.
So yeah I think it was a logical decision to remove the bad press right in the middle of holiday season purchasing frenzy.
I don't think that's the reason. They decided this after CDPR announced that they'll refund the game to anyone who bought it. Sony just don't want to go through the refunding process.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Game was developed for PC. It would explain the huge disappointment for the console generation it was meant to be released for (PS4 and Xbox One). Plus there is no current upgrade texture packs for PS5 or Xbox Series, which run as Backwards Compatible.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Game was developed for PC. It would explain the huge disappointment for the console generation it was meant to be released for (PS4 and Xbox One). Plus there is no current upgrade texture packs for PS5 or Xbox Series, which run as Backwards Compatible.
Yeah some part of this is not surprising, but it is CDPR's fault for going on record stating that last gen console performance is "better than expected" when in reality especially on PS4 Base it looks like GoldenEye and repeatedly crashes.

On Xbox One X it's actually okay ish and on my PC with a 1080 (non Ti) it's good, as far as graphics quality goes. No matter what platform you are on, the rest of the bugs are kind of the same in terms of police randomly spawning and shooting you in the back, dying sometimes when you walk down stairs, cars fall off the road and go underwater, etc etc.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Well honestly I think it was making their PS5 machine look bad. It's a new hardware and it was supposed to be the beast and something that everyone would want for xmass.
People don't understand what optimized for PC and optimized for console means....people will look at the supposed best console and see it not run the game as well as a PC and ask themselves why would they want to purchase it.
So yeah I think it was a logical decision to remove the bad press right in the middle of holiday season purchasing frenzy.

I think the problem is not the bugs, people expect that games in PS5 lock like they see on youtube, but most off that videos are made in a PC in HD or 4K.
A 500€ hardware never will have the graphics off a 500€ mid range graphics card, a medium PC cost 1600€, Sony say that PS5 have the same graphics, but that's not the true and people will have a disappointment in every single game.

1608321328880.png

L

Local Host

@SeriousHoax Sony removing the game from sale is not going to affect refunds whasoever, they offering refunds to everyone who bought the game from PSN.

It makes total sense to remove the game from sale, considering it does not pass certification and CDPR failed to fix the issues in time, like they promised.

@Arias Game runs fine on Playstation 5, was running on backwards compatibily program anyway, not taking advantage of Playstation 5 Hardware.

The problems are on Playstation 4, both base and Pro models, same applies to Xbox One (incl. X) which runs even worse than Playstation 4.

@Freud2004 no offense, but a mid range PC costs less than 1000€, you can easily build one with 650€.

At over 1000€ we entering the high-end market, and over 2000€ is already for enthusiasts who like to pay premium.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
@SeriousHoax Sony removing the game from sale is not going to affect refunds whasoever, they offering refunds to everyone who bought the game from PSN.

It makes total sense to remove the game from sale, considering it does not pass certification and CDPR failed to fix the issues in time, like they promised.

@Arias Game runs fine on Playstation 5, was running on backwards compatibily program anyway, not taking advantage of Playstation 5 Hardware.

The problems are on Playstation 4, both base and Pro models, same applies to Xbox One (incl. X) which runs even worse than Playstation 4.
Just curious, are you playing the game too? The PS4 and 5 situation is exceptionally bad, especially PS4, because the graphics often downgrade to fuzzy blobs and other times the game just hard-crashes.

But on Xbox One X and even my high end PC with a Steam copy of the game, it's still pretty crazily buggy. Both the bugs I mentioned before about walking down stairs being frequently fatal, pedestrians instantly shooting you in the back for bumping into them, and a few of the missions you can get stuck in an elevator or a mission critical car just spontaneously blows up.... There's also some streets that are 1 turn away from the correct route that are unfinished and just plunge you underground.

That aspect of the game's bugginess is really frustrating and it doesn't matter which platform you use it seems. Honestly I think they should be offering refunds on every platform. On PS4 it's almost unplayable and in that regard I think pulling it is the right thing to do, at least until the update next week that's supposed to make it playable again.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Well I am glad I didn't buy the game just yet, I will give it a few more months and see how it goes. Every major game usually has bugs that need to be ironed out once it's launched, but this one seems to be exceptionally bad across the board. I'm just speculating here, but I think they did a disservice by announcing it well before it was truly ready. Only to constantly have delays and as a result, the mounting pressure to release something. I feel like their goals were too ambitious, or potentially lacked focus. This seems to fall into the "I am focusing on too much and not sticking with the current plan." type scenario.

I do not remember everything from way back, but was ray tracing and such, always the focus from day one, or did they just decide to add it as they went. If so, it's decisions like this that can make, or break you. Personally I would rather not have them focus on things like ray tracing and just worry about making the game look good in general and most importantly work without too many issues.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Every major game usually has bugs that need to be ironed out once it's launched, but this one seems to be exceptionally bad across the board. I'm just speculating here, but I think they did a disservice by announcing it well before it was truly ready. Onl
That's true...Even The Witcher 3 had many bugs and needed several patches to be ironed out and became the masterpiece it is today :)

L

Local Host

Just curious, are you playing the game too? The PS4 and 5 situation is exceptionally bad, especially PS4, because the graphics often downgrade to fuzzy blobs and other times the game just hard-crashes.

But on Xbox One X and even my high end PC with a Steam copy of the game, it's still pretty crazily buggy. Both the bugs I mentioned before about walking down stairs being frequently fatal, pedestrians instantly shooting you in the back for bumping into them, and a few of the missions you can get stuck in an elevator or a mission critical car just spontaneously blows up.... There's also some streets that are 1 turn away from the correct route that are unfinished and just plunge you underground.

That aspect of the game's bugginess is really frustrating and it doesn't matter which platform you use it seems. Honestly I think they should be offering refunds on every platform. On PS4 it's almost unplayable and in that regard I think pulling it is the right thing to do, at least until the update next week that's supposed to make it playable again.
I own the game on both PC and Xbox One X, got them both for free.

The game runs like crap on Xbox One X, worse than Playstation 4 Pro, so I don't know where you got the idea Xbox One X is similar to PC.

On my PC I play with no problems on High at 1080p and have no FPS drops.

The game runs perfectly fine on Playstation 5 and Xbox Series S and X as well, excluding a few glitches and bugs.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

Excerpt:

"The release of Cyberpunk 2077 has brought a rather large controversy around it, with many gamers being disappointed with their purchases. The game has generated massive hype before it was released, and when it dropped, gamers from all around the world found themselves disappointed in the quality of the game itself. Most notably, the game developer, CD Project RED, has made a massive game and discovered many bugs along the way. That buggy release was shipped to customers. However, the game developer is not going to watch it remain like that and has issued a hotfix release 1.05 that is supposed to iron out a few major bugs and bring many improvements.

On PC, the game was underperforming on AMD Ryzen CPUs, and now the patch is applied: "[AMD SMT] Optimized default core/thread utilization for 4-core and 6-core AMD Ryzen (tm) processors. 8-core, 12-core and 16-core processors remain unchanged and behaving as intended. This change was implemented in cooperation with AMD and based on tests on both sides indicating that performance improvement occurs only on CPUs with 6 cores and less." For a full list of gameplay, UI, visual, and quest updates, please check out this hotfix list here. Update is now available on all platforms and you should download it."

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I am more shocked that you got your hands on a 3080 than I am on the quality of the game.
A friend who works in the industry sent me this screenshot...I can't wait personally to get on board with the 3080 :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.