Advice Request Cybertronsoft Privacy Eraser Showing As Adware

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I've have just sent it to KLVirusDesk as a FP request, let's see which is the final verdict:
1535960738044.png

Black Wings

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 20, 2018
Just tried to download their setup from the official developer website and clearly is packing Adware.

I invite anyone to try and confirm, Privacy Eraser: 1-click browsing history deletion, PC optimization & more
Or you could download from here:
Download Privacy Eraser - MajorGeeks
I was using Privacy Eraser before, but then I moved to Dism++, much more powerful (you can also remove the backup files that Windows keep after an update), but to be used with care
Dism++ | New Windows Utility

Thanks for showing these soft. Now I´m playing with them

I'm happy, I learn a lot here :)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
It's not actually bundled with adware. The detection from Kasperksy is a false positive. When I scanned the installer a VirusTotal, Kaspersky detected it as not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.Win32.KuaiZip.gen. KuaiZip is a Chinese archiver, which has nothing to do with Privacy Eraser.

You need to consider too that most software detected as adware, does not come bundled with adware. The adware tag is often given to software which comes with a trial version which will scan for issues, but requires payment in order to fix them, e.g. a lot of cleaning and driver update software. I feel that often, such software would be better classified as PUPs.

While in this case, the detection is an obvious false positive, is has been my experience that Kaspersky detects much more unwanted software, than any other antivirus.
Honestly, I will pay extra for an AV that can detect and surgically cut out the adware portion of a program. Not an FP to me. I would say 99% of the time, PUP is actually unwanted software.

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Maybe Cybertronsoft ought to offer a different download (clean) for paying (pro) customers, such 'Privazer' do as they aren't doing themselves any favours at the moment, esp. in light of many rightly so moving away from CCleaner. They ought to be coming across as squeaky clean & IMO it's a decent product if it wasn't that every piece of security software I own didn't try to remove it :) - Privazer email me whenever there is an update even though I don't use it any-more.

Reactions: Venustus

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Yes this only seems to affect 4.40, plus this is detected as Adware by more than just Kaspersky.

If you all still wanna risk it's on you, I'll only mention CCleaner (as people accused of being a FP as well, and we all know how that ended up).

Wise Disk Cleaner is another junks cleaner that I use along with Privacy Eraser. I know it is obsolete to have 2 junks cleaners, but since both are free and only run on demand why not use both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.